Potential guest asked for photo ID

Jo219
Level 1
Adelaide, Australia

Potential guest asked for photo ID

Hi, I recently (within the last 24 hours) had a potential guest (one who had requested information prior to a booking) ask a number of security relate questions:  How was the house secured, did I have a criminal record?  Then proceeded to ask for my personal ID.  I was not comfortable with this, so declined to send ID. Then the "potential" guest booked elsewhere.  It just made me feel uncomfortable about the request for personal ID, like it was a Identity scam or something. 

Anyone else had the same experience,

Cheers

Jo, Australia

7 Replies 7
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Hello @Jo219. There is no obligation for a host to provide guests with such information. On the other hand, hosts may set such a rule because in many countries it is obligatory to know the details of your guests.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

Thanks Marzena

absolutely.  if it were me I'd have also politely pointed out that numerous combinations of cats, mothers in law and children have formed profiles with verifications....and how would I know *they* were who they said they were when welcoming them into MY home. LOL

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Contact AirBNB
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Even if legitimate, such a fearful guest usually doesn't make for a pleasant guest. She may have done you a favor booking somewhere else.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Jo219 I do take ID from all guests who come to my space & require that they verify govt ID w ABB. However, I do not give them my ID — they get access to my guesthouse in my backyard which has many happy reviews & a 14 month track record. Clearly I’m not going anywhere, they however appear out of the ether for a few days for a few dollars so I think it reasonable that I know (with some amount of certainty) who they are. 

I concur with the others, you dodged a bullet. 

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Jo219 While you’re not obligated to provide guests your ID, it may be helpful if you fully verified your Profile, including sending a pic of your ID to Airbnb so your future guests know you’re on the up-and-up. 

https://www.airbnb.com/account-verification?flow=booking

I think this is the best course of action. You can verify your government ID on Airbnb, which will give guests extra assurance that you are who you say you are. This protects the details of your identity, but lets guests know that Airbnb has that info on file (They also do background checks).

I'd feel a little put off (to the point of declining) anyone who insinuated that I wasn't on the up and up. A well-verified account and reviews should be enough for any reasonable person.