Potential guest requesting my phone number

Stephine0
Level 1
Bryan, TX

Potential guest requesting my phone number

I received an inquiry to book my home (even though instant booking is turned on).  Along with dates, the person asked if I would talk with him about hosting on Air BnB in my area.  I replied that I would be glad to.  He then responded with a request for my phone number and told me how to put it into a message so that it would not be blocked by the site.  At this point, he has still not actually booked the room.  I did approve his inquiry.  

Has anyone had similar requests?  I don't want to report the guest if he is truthful in his representations, but it just seemed a bit fishy to me.

6 Replies 6
Ava30
Level 10
Eureka, CA

Hi @Stephine0: Chances are very slim that this person is going to book with you. They most likely wanted to contact you just to ask you about being an Airbnb host. They cannot just send you a message, they have to include dates to request a booking. I have in the past, wanted to contact a host of a potential guest and that is the only way I could do it.   You could message them back and ask them do they even attend book or are they just looking for information and go from there. 

Wendy117
Level 10
Bexley, Australia

And even if they are just wanting information on hosting i would be reluctant now to assist.  I spent a long time and over 100 text msgs helping a potential host (and competitor) set up - on wording, photos, rates.  i have a guest now who asked to extend his 4 week booking by 3 months from Oct to Dec which i couldnt do due to bookings.  I passed him on to her just to find out that she hadnt received bookings in the 3 weeks she had been listed so she was moving out and not interested anymore.  I hadnt realised she was only renting not the owner.  Absolute waste if my time.  I think they should ask their questiins in this Community

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

Don't give them your phone number. This is not a normal request. And to answer your actual question, I have never had someone ask for my phone number, though I have had two inquiries where they scrambled a URL that I was supposed to go to to give their "father" an ability to talk with me. Both requests were quickly followed by AirBNB messages from Trust and Security.

Thanks for the input.  Your comments confirmed my initial inclinations.  I appreciate hearing from experienced hosts.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Stephine0

Hi Stephine....it is an absolute cornerstone of reservation acceptance that guests who have lots of questions do not make good guests.

Someone likes what they see in your description, has obviously read it and just wants to pay and stay.....they will make fine guests!

If they have lots of questions or want to haggle about this or that, Stephine, thay are not like a fine bottle of wine, they won't improve. It takes years of practice to become a haggler and these people use it as a form of power play. The more information they can solicit from you the more they strengthen their ground and weaken yours!

In the end you give in to just about anything just to get them out of your life!

Just remember Stephine, people fall into one of two camps!

Passive/complimentary....

Aggresive/demanding......

And I think you have a fair idea of which type to stear clear of!!

Cheers......Rob

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

I had this happen once. Airbnb blocked out their number. I explained that airbnb doesn't allow it. They were just new at using airbnb. I wouldn't have called back if I could. Next thing you know they might be asking for my exact address, asking to make an under the table booking deal, etc. No thanks.