Pregnant Guest

Deborah8
Level 4
Bournemouth, United Kingdom

Pregnant Guest

Ive been asked if i can accomadate a couple who are expecting a baby in a few weeks . They need somewhere short term , possibly 10 weeks or so , and the baby would be born while they are with me , 

Im slightly wary , (after reading stories about not being able to get people out ), due to my concerns they would have many more " rights " and their plans to move on might not work out as expected 

Would you take this booking? 

Im really torn between helping them but leaving myself vunerable 

Any thoughts on this ? Anyone had experience of this scenario ?

5 Replies 5
Donna15
Level 10
Delft, Netherlands

I'm a relatively new host, @Deborah8, but I'd be very wary of this type of situation. 

It seems odd to me that a couple would want to be staying in AirBnB accommodation while they're waiting for the baby to be born. 

All kinds of unexpected and unpleasant things could occur, including medical emergencies. 

I'd avoid this type of booking like the proverbial plague. 

But others might think differently. 🙂

Maxine0
Level 10
Brighton, United Kingdom

Thats a difficult one @Deborah8 - you need to discover what's behind them finding themselves in that situation that necessitates the requirement for short-term 10 week accomadation where they baby will be born during that time. Normally, an extended family would assist if they were in a position to. Or a property let agency with short-term properties available to include a deposit etc - although they may not wish to have to set up seperate utility bills etc for a short-term rental and may view ABB as a means to avoid that - but of course it would be at a cost to you if they are in the home full-time utilising all of your facilities.

You also need to consider what @Donna15 say's about potential medical emergency and a screaming new born in your home - plus the issue around what happens if they do not find alternative accomadation after 10 /12 weeks. Tenancy rights kick-in after 12 weeks, I believe.

I don't know if your guests are Brits or from outside of the UK but there have been stories (and I'm not sure how true they are) about couples (and I think there are terms for it 'passport babies' or 'tourism babies') who purposefully decide to have their child born in the UK (or elsewhere) as the child becomes a national with all the rights that, that entails.

So try to establish exactly why they are in this predicament first - and factoring in all issues raised, decide whether its right for you.

Personally, I wouldn't take the booking - but then, I only rent for a maximum of 14 days to holiday guests, but most often only to weekenders and business guests - but that's because it suits my preferences.

Deborah8
Level 4

Many thanks for the replies ladies .. Im not sure how to tag your names here . 

Ive had a long think about it and decided , as im on my own here , it wouldnt be a great idea , 

Too many things could go wrong and something doesnt quite hit the mark with the background story 

many many thanks again 

Happy Hosting  to you all   x

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Deborah8,

Lovely to see you have received some helpful view points here, it is good to discuss it.

Just to let you know about tagging other people here, if you type the @ symbol and then start typing the name of the person you want to tag here in the thread then you will see the names appear with a little photo next to the name. 

Let me know if this works for you. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Deborah8
Level 4

thanks @Lizzie and @Maxine0 and @Donna15  !! whoo hoo ... check me out ,, lol