Pretty unfair review

Answered!
Meiyin0
Level 2
San Jose, CA

Pretty unfair review

I host a guest left a negative review for me. I worked pretty hard to host and got this unfair review.

First, she complaint there is no towel. I told her she didin't check house rule, I do not provide towel for my place and there is no other guests complain about that too.

Second, she complaint the location is not convienient. Before she booked it,  I told her my place is 5 miles away from her conference and 15 mins drive to airport, that all the plaza are around 30 mins walking distance and around 5 mins driving distance, she said she is ok with that, she can uber it. (They are all in the message I already made a screenshot) And after she left she complain the location is not convinient 🙂 How intersting!

Third, she complaint about the hot water. That is the only thing I felt sorry. She didin't tell me the first night. I didn't realize the issue. and even when she told me in the message she said water is not hot enough it is luckwarm. And true thing is, it is luckwarm not the "cold" as she described on the review to show how petty she is.

Fourth, she complaint about my place is very dirty. I felt super angry about that. I am having a 2b2b comdo, and always living by myself, no one uses the guest restroom for a while I admit that might be a little dusty. But, very dirty???? That is not what I am living at! 

I tried but still struggle to post all the communication message I got. But faild. I screenshot all the communication mesage.

She left me around all on star in the end. I don't know what to say just felt so hurting.

Anyone has the same issue? And how I can protest this using all the evidence?

Or any suggestions? Or just told me if I am wrong or how I can improve it.

Thanks.

1 Best Answer
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Meiyin0......Hi again Meiyin, hey I am sorry if I sounded a bit hard with my last post, not good of me to be offensive!

You sound like you genuinely want to meet nice people...and believe me you will! There are many wonderful people out there and it is a pity that you struck a 'prickly' one first up! I haven't had a difficult guest yet, and I have been hosting for almost three years, so it is not common but, I think you need realise this is your property that you are inviting people into and you need to look at each booking request as it comes to you and do some checks.

WHAT PREVIOUS REVIEWS HAVE THEY HAD?....If they have none, or very few, or some past host reviews of them are critical, they may not be ideal guests to accept when you are starting out. 'Gut feeling' comes with time and experience!

ARE THEY LOCAL OR FROM FAR AWAY?......It does not pay to host local guests! In a some instances they are looking for a place to celebrate or just plain party and property damage can happen. People who want to party do not go far from home!!

IS THE GUEST ASKING FOR CONCESSIONS BEFORE THEY BOOK? People who require something that is additional, or not in the listing description tend to make poor guests. They are more critical and often leave poor reviews. They are not like a fine wine, they do not improve as they go along!

Message them and get a feeling of what they may be like by their response? What is the reason they wish to visit and stay with you? How many people will be staying? Do they have any special needs that my require your assistance?

Meiyin these are all important things to consider when you open your door to someone strange but most of all, look critically at your house! Look at it through the eyes of a guest. What would you like to see and what would you expect if it was you that was visiting this property!

Hosting is one of the best things I have ever done Meiyin, I have met many lovely people, some of whom have become my friends, so please don't be put off by this experience but, learn from it, and you too can have an extremely rewarding and satisfying pastime!

Good luck....cheers.....Rob

View Best Answer in original post

18 Replies 18
David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

Unfortunately your response to the review highlights it. Just move on and take the criticism as a learning curve. I am curious why you dnt supply towels 

I am a beginner as a host and still learning. I didn't relize what ahoud included in the esstentials and no previous guests mentioned about that. I was friendly and commnitated well. But seems like nothing good in my place, felt so frustrusted.

Wayne-And-Michelle0
Level 3
Charlottesville, VA

@Meiyin0, your listing shows that you provide essentials, which include towels, shampoo, etc.  I didn't see anywhere in your listing where you don't provide towels, which is a pretty basic amenity.  As to the hot water issue, temperature can be very subjective and what you perceive to be "lukewarm," someone else may consider "cold" if they're used to a hot shower.   Cleanliness is a hot button issue for many guests, so you may want to have a friend really look at your place with a guest's eyes and give you some feedback.  When you live in a space, it is easy to overlook a "little dust" but it could be very noticeable to a guest.  Also you were pretty defensive in your response to the guest, which would put me off from potentially booking with you.  If you believe you need to respond to a review, keep it short and factual. 

Yes, my tune was not good I noticed, that I was angry when I saw this review. I should suggested here first and then replied.

Thank you so much for your advice.

Michael344
Level 2
Washington, DC

There are a lot of people who are just picky, they will complain about anything. Once, a guest wrote that my towels were not "soft" enough.  Try to contact Airbnb

Kind of hard to be a "nice" host.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Meiyin0.....Meiyin, it's not hard to be a 'nice' host, you either are....or you aren't!

We all learn as we go with hosting and every guest teaches us how to do what we do better.....but we must listen!

The main thing that, for me, condems you is, your response to that guests review! You were scathing of the guest, and quite unfairly! The guest simply stated that there were no towels (which are a basic amenity), no hot water! Unclean environment (dusty) and you criticized the guest for his obsevations.

What you should have done is..... 'thanked this guest for their constructive comments and made sure that you would take their points on board and make your place a better place than it is now'. That would have earned you a lot of respect, not only with other hosts but with prospective guests.

After looking at your profile and seeing 2 reviews, One for a host cancellation 1 day before arrival and the second review the one in question here with the response you gave, there is no way on this earth I would every want to book a stay with you!!!

I would suggest you look at other profiles and see what other hosts offer and how they handle guests comments and try to put where you have been up to this point behind you and, try to be.....a nice host!!

Cheers....Rob

Thank you for your suggestion. It is fair enough and helpful.

For that one day cancellation, the guest booked the place just one day before his landing, I cancelled it immediately when I saw the notice. He thanked me for the quick response in the message.

I admitted that my respones to her is not good. Kind of angry and didn't know what to do in the begining.

I also showed her review to some ppl just came to my place once or twice. They said "from her review I felt you are living in a slum."

And I fix the issue when she told me immeditly and also apologized. And all she gave me are all one star. I just can not immagine what kind of place just worth one star? You can blamed me for didn't make my place spakling, but I think one star means I have done nothing at all.

I already quit hosting. I just want to meet some nice people and make some friends in the begining. But seems like I am wrong.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

You won't be able to protest as it was the guest experience. No towel - check. No hot water - check. Not perfectly clean - check. The location is nothing to complain about, she knew beforehand.

It is hurtful to your listing as she is pretty scathing about it all, and your previous reviews are ok but nothing so great as to override this one. I suggest making some changes. Make the bathroom sparkling, start providing towels, and rewrite your listing with new photos showing the improvements. Hopefully new reviews will come, but if your rating slips to 3,5 (I think) your listing gets suspended so you need good reviews to stay in business.

Good luck

Thank you for your advice. It is pretty helpful. 

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Yikes, a terrible review and a cancellation as a new host.  Sounds like you may not be cut out for hosting since you haven't even taken time to learn the basics.  I would read read read the posts on this forum to learn from other experienced hosts and snooze your listing until you're ready again.

I took your suggestion as a new host. And thank you for your suggestion.

I just couldn't stand the things that she over desctibed and untrue.

Carolyn5
Level 8
Leongatha South, Australia

You can leave a public response after both reviews are published, pointing out the errors in her review  (and don't be frightened to say they were errors) and refer her to the good reviews you have had in the past. Future guests will see that she was a difficult customer, probably just looking to push you into offering a refund or discount. Some people are like that.

Cheers,

Carolyn

Thank you for your reply and there alreay lots of host told me that my public response is a big mistake.

I fix the issue when she told me immeditly and also apologized. And all she gave me are all one star. I just can not immagine what kind of place just worth one star? You can blamed me for didn't make my place spakling, but I think one star means I have done nothing at all.

Quit hosing alreay, kind of hurting.