What's a good Price of Photographs for listing?

Answered!

What's a good Price of Photographs for listing?

Hello everyone,

I am thinking about hiring a professional photographer to take some photographs of my rental. What do you consider a good budget for that?

Thanks 

1 Best Answer

Not all photography is equal. Not all photographers are equal. A photographer takes a photo and owns that photo, then issues a license in how that image is being used. For example real estate pays the least for a photo because that photo is being used for a shorter duration of time. If the photo is going to be used for a builder, architect, vacation rental and used for a dedicated website, social media, related websites (like AirBnB), this falls under a general license and photos can cost up to $500 each (of course depending on who is the client). Let's say an image ends up in a magazine, a billboard, and perhaps on an editorial piece where the client benefits from the article. In each instance, the photographer charges and issues a specific license for what is appropriate for each use. Just like a musician is going to get a fee when the same song is played on the radio, in a tv spot and if used in the soundtrack of a movie. Also is the photographer using high-end camera equipment and lighting, or is the camera entry-level? If he is using lighting then the process to blend ambient plus lit images takes much longer. Do you want magazine-style editing or real estate style editing? They have different looks. Also how good is the photographer at processing the images behind the computer? Personally, I bring a camera and a camera backup body. I bring about 15k worth of equipment and then edit on a computer I spent about 3k on. I use between 2 and 4 lenses when on-site. For a vacation rental, you are actually getting a good deal at $800 to $1,000 if the photographer is shooting both ambient and flashed images and then combining those images into one final scene in the post-production work. If he was shooting with no flash and only providing HDR images then I believe this would be a little steep. However, if he is the only photographer in your area then he has a little leverage to create his own pricing.

By the way, I just thought about this, I hope you were not affected by the recent hurricane. 

View Best Answer in original post

14 Replies 14
Barry-and-Lera0
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

@Kelly617: It is 100% worth it. Ours were done for $225 --- 30 pictures

Wow that’s a great price. The person I contacted wants to change $800-$1,000 I really it’s too much. Unfortunately he’s the only photographer on the island. I’m not sure if he’s even done real estate photography before. I think I’ll just purchase my own camera. 

Not all photography is equal. Not all photographers are equal. A photographer takes a photo and owns that photo, then issues a license in how that image is being used. For example real estate pays the least for a photo because that photo is being used for a shorter duration of time. If the photo is going to be used for a builder, architect, vacation rental and used for a dedicated website, social media, related websites (like AirBnB), this falls under a general license and photos can cost up to $500 each (of course depending on who is the client). Let's say an image ends up in a magazine, a billboard, and perhaps on an editorial piece where the client benefits from the article. In each instance, the photographer charges and issues a specific license for what is appropriate for each use. Just like a musician is going to get a fee when the same song is played on the radio, in a tv spot and if used in the soundtrack of a movie. Also is the photographer using high-end camera equipment and lighting, or is the camera entry-level? If he is using lighting then the process to blend ambient plus lit images takes much longer. Do you want magazine-style editing or real estate style editing? They have different looks. Also how good is the photographer at processing the images behind the computer? Personally, I bring a camera and a camera backup body. I bring about 15k worth of equipment and then edit on a computer I spent about 3k on. I use between 2 and 4 lenses when on-site. For a vacation rental, you are actually getting a good deal at $800 to $1,000 if the photographer is shooting both ambient and flashed images and then combining those images into one final scene in the post-production work. If he was shooting with no flash and only providing HDR images then I believe this would be a little steep. However, if he is the only photographer in your area then he has a little leverage to create his own pricing.

By the way, I just thought about this, I hope you were not affected by the recent hurricane. 

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Kelly617 I believe many photographers will price differently - one I know prices $150-300 depending on size of place.........accordingly. Check out their previous work shooting homes - not headshots/people. good luck, Clara

The person I contacted wants to change $800-$1,000 I really think it’s too much. Unfortunately he’s the only photographer on the island. I’m not sure if he’s even done real estate photography before. I think I’ll just purchase my own camera. 

@Kelly617 Who did your photos of your place?? Those are good photos - I surely wouldn't pay 800 for new photos - just get a camera and go to youtube or Learnairbnb.com and read up about doing photos for your listing.. there are specific tips you want to do........you can make them just fine. 

Thank you! The majority of the photos I took with my phone. Will look into the tips. Thanks again. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Kelly617,

I'm not sure if Airbnb Professional photography is available in your area, but here is the link if you want to know more about it. The price is dependent upon the size of your house. 

I hope you get some nice snaps taken soon. 🙂

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Thank you! Will do.

Thanks Lizzie but it's not available in my area.

Marianne288
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Hi I want to use Air BnB's photography service and see that there is a price for the size of our property. Does anyone know the full cost of this service? For example is there an initial fee and then a cost per photo? 

Jean-Jacques56
Level 1
Crows Nest, Australia

Hi. Old post, I know. But wanted to chime in.

If you're asking about pricing, you should qualify what you're looking for.

Do you rent out a single room with ensuite, at $70/night?

Or a 5 bedroom house with garden and pool for $1200/night. 

In other words, what is good photography worth to you?

Living standards around the world are different, and so is cost of living, transport,... So a photographer in Barcelona may be cheaper than one in London, or the Bahamas.

$800 may be a fair price for a large house with additional amenities. But not for a one bedroom apartment. Airbnb photographers need to take a lot of pictures, at different angles/directions, both horizontal and vertical (for use on the website vs mobile app), as per the Airbnb photography guidelines. What you end up with on the website often is only a selection (made by the Airbnb editors) of all the photos an Airbnb photographer took.

Anyway, my 2c (as a photographer).

Hello Everyone,

I know photography can be expensive, but more times than not you really do get what you pay for. Location, equipment, market trends, experience, and licensing terms are all things that you really need to consider.

If you're planning on using the images somewhere other than Airbnb, you have no choice, you need to use an outside photographer or do the work yourself. $1,000 can get you a decent camera and lens to start with (my first camera + lens was right about $1,500 after tax and I still use it to this day). If you don't want to make that kind of investment, you can get a used one for a fraction of that and it'll still do what you need it to do. Just for the record, photography is not an easy skill to pick up for most people. If the pictures that you're taking with your phone are bad, spending $1,000 on a camera is not going to help - you would be better off spending the same amount of money on photography courses and using your camera phone to it's maximum capacity.

The images are only as good as the subject (ugly property will give you just that - but an ugly property probably isn't landing enough bookings to even consider getting pro photography to begin with). Bad images of a great location can really kill your sales volume and the rate that people are willing to pay for your listing. Most people can get by without pro photos, but most of the time pro photos are going to help your listing get to the next level. Take a look at your market competition - the people who are on the first page are getting booked more than anyone behind them (they're probably also charging more). In most markets, the top listings are either really impressive listings and you simply cannot take a bad photo of them, or professional photography is just one of many marketing techniques that they are using to improve their rental game.

Licensing and experience haven't really been talked about too much in this thread so I'll take a second to talk about them. It takes years to master photography (practicing with your phone regularly counts). You don't just buy a camera and then take amazing images with it. Most people struggle for a very long time. I'm not saying, "don't buy a camera and go DIY...," but what I am saying is keep your expectations realistic. Odds are, you're not going to buy a camera and then deliver $1,000 worth of pro images right off the rip. Experience counts.

And as far as licensing goes, if you book an Airbnb photographer - You Can Only Use the Images on Airbnb. From what I understand, you also don't get to choose which images get used, the Airbnb marketing team does that for you.

Forget all the other booking sites. Forget your website. Forget your social media. Forget any ad campaigns you want to run online or in print. You legally cannot do it. If you find a way to copy or download the images and you use them commercially, you are breaking the terms of your contract via copyright infringement with Airbnb (from what I understand, you can download them but they are explicitly only for personal use).

With a professional photographer, they're very likely going to allow you to do all the things I mentioned in their licensing agreement so the images are WAY more useful to someone who is serious about their listings (not just a casual side gig that brings in a little extra money every month - serious business owners). If the photographer knows what they are doing, you're going to spend at least $500 on a contract like that. If the photographer is young, doesn't know, or doesn't care, you might be able to find it for cheaper, but don't go too cheap because you get what you pay for in photography.

I realize this is an old post but….  I took a look at your listing and, not trying to offend in any way,  you could use a professional.  While 800-1000 for your property is probably overpriced, a professional can really make your listing pop.  That said, do not hire anyone without a portfolio that you can look at so you know exactly what to expect.