Price tips too good to be true?

Brett3
Level 10
Gold Coast, Australia

Price tips too good to be true?

Screen Shot 2018-03-26 at 4.52.31 pm.jpg

Hello all.

I am trying to get my head around a price tip Airbnb have offered.

I have attached a screen shot of one of my listing calendars. As you can see, the price for the night is $85. If you scroll up and look at the light bulb tip on the right hand side, you will see the tip that people had looked at my listing for this date but booked elsewhere for $81 less. So someone scored accomodation on Airbnb for just $4 per night? I don't see how this even possible. The system won't even let me offer a price that low.

A lot of the new revisions and info are really good, but this just seems wrong to me. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Cheers

20 Replies 20
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

There are other posts about this @Brett3, and you are right - this seems wrong to you because it is. No one is renting their place for $4 per night. But to step back from out-and-out calling the system a liar, it may be that a family of 15 and their 3 dogs booked a cheap place with a monthly discount, and it worked out to $4 per head per night. The host is in tears.  

Don't listen to the price tips. You and I know our market best. 

Brett3
Level 10
Gold Coast, Australia

Good point @Lawrene0,

I was trying to highlight the fact that the system appeared to be advising me to do something not physically possible. It will not allow a price per night that low, but I had not thought about the price per night with a month long stay.

Yes I agree the host would be crying if they ended up earning $4 per night less Airbnb fees. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Brett3By now, probably few hosts take the 'Price Tips' seriously. 

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Brett3Here's the most recent thread on this topic. Lots of experiences of people receiving silly pricing suggestions. 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/100-proof-that-pricing-suggestions-are-nonsense/m-p/6451...

Cheers for that @Alexandra0,

I should have guessed this was already a hotly debated topic. I imagine we will once again hear Brian talk in circles about pricing at the next Q&A.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

I got another nonsense email about pricing today. I’ve entered a feedback about it. Essentially it said “find something useful to say or stop talking”

perhaps if we sent as many feedbacks as they send pricing “tips” then they’d abandon this silliness

Brett3
Level 10
Gold Coast, Australia

I am liking the way you think @Kelly149.

I do see how a pricing advice system would be a valuable tool for hosts, and am not sure about the system fixes required at the back end, but I think you are right in suggesting we should all lodge feedback about it. Looking at some of the other treads about this I don't think the current offering is doing the brand any good.

Sion2
Level 10
SF, CA

Oh, the pricing tips...we all could get a chuckle out of them. I love it when they say lower your rpice by 22 bucks and get more bookings....I am at 80% booking for three months and I am not doing this for free. Everyone ignores them. The one time I lowered I got lower quality guests too less money and a lower rating for my generosity...people apreciate  what they pay for. Just stay in line with your local competion and what you are offering in amenties. 

Brett3
Level 10
Gold Coast, Australia

Sound advice @Sion2.

Unfortunately I have to agree that when you hit a certain lower price point the type of guests do change, and generally for the worse.

Now, I have to check out your listing  I am planning  a big vaction in Austrian in Dec:) 

Brett3
Level 10
Gold Coast, Australia

I have a couple of apartments but wait until the dumb pricing works it's magic. You could be staying for just a few dollars a night 😉

Oh I love your lisitngs...I faved them! In May we will be bookign everythgin...I want to treavel around for three weeks...contatc me with any other lsitings  you recomend. I get many Aussies here in San Francsico...getting repeats  next month! I hope I can be talked into leaving once I am there;) 

Peggy-And-Mike0
Level 10
Georgia, United States

Smart pricing is not smart. Never use the suggested price.  I will say though that I have used a feature I see from time to time about offering an X% discount for the days (Date to Date).  The dates have been typically very near term and so I went and raised the prices by that same percentage amount and then clicked "yes" for the temporary discount because I figured the algorithm would bump me up in line. The lookers are shown the book now for a X% discount and are happy, and I am happy because I get the same price.  

I wish we could turn on our own promotional % off and control it....right now I think it has to show up separately. 

That is super clever @Peggy-And-Mike0.

You have adapted a not very functional system to work to your advantage. I hope lots of hosts read this piece of advice!!