Prices dropping by 50% - is the pricing tool a complete disaster?

Claudia11
Level 5
London, United Kingdom

Prices dropping by 50% - is the pricing tool a complete disaster?

What is happening with the prices in London? I have been an airbnb host for 3.5 years and the prices are tumbling like I have never seen before. Am I the only one experiencing this? 

I have two listings, one for a private room with own bathroom in my large 2bed home, the other one is for the entire home for times when I’m away (I only started doing this one year ago). Ever since the pricing tool was introdcued I looked at it in disbelief of what it suggests and could only ignore it. To me, it actually feels unsafe using the recommended prices, yet I totally and utterly rely on the income from my place being rented and, for the first time ever, this month has been incredibly slow. When I first listed my entire home over Christmas last year I charged £140 plus cleaning as an introductory price, I since had regular bookings throughout the year for £200 per night with all all the reviews saying "good value", now I am suggested to charge £100 and even less. I have also checked a website called Pricelabs, who is making similarly low price recommendations. If I had followed the suggestions by these pricing services all year, I would have had a much lower income. Instead I do what I always did: regularly check what similar listings in the area are charging, or what the average price is for listings like mine seen on the home page. But I am now wondering whether overall prices will be affected, if every new airbnb host sticks to the price recommendations by the pricing tool? Understandably, if I was new I would do the same. However, this is London - everyone knows that a million dollar mansion could be right next to a council estate and a computer just won’t have an algorithm for that anomaly. 

What is everyone else experiencing? Especially longer term hosts - are you experiencing drastic price drops? Are you following price suggestions from airbnb or other services like Pricleabs? Are you finding them useful? Any info would be much appreciated as I’m at a loss as to what to do - drop prices drastically (and risk opening my home to people who might not appreciate it for what it is worth) or keep taking the risk of higher prices and a potentially empty home?

107 Replies 107
Marie-and-Owen0
Level 2
Wellington, New Zealand

My guess is that it is in AirBNB's interest for the prices to drop so they can get more market share (more important to growing firms than revenue), and perhaps killing off a bit of the opposition (eg hotels). Like most other hosts we have no problem filling our place at 50% above the suggested rates. Just say no!

that's my interpretation too: they are trying to get more market share by...killing the market.

I know of hosts dropping Airbnb and going on other platform as "Airbnb can just sell cheap now"

David-Gabriel0
Level 1
Saint Paul, MN

My price was almost halved too. I am turning off the tool. I should know what it is worth to me... Let it be a seller's market not a buyers market...

Yes agree. The pricing tool suggests I charge a fee that does not even costs. I would be paying for people to stay here if I did that.  My bookings have dropped radically. Last year I had so many April requests I could not take most. This year I have one maybe for the whole month. 

Deborah-and-Tony0
Level 2
Blackheath, Australia

Hello Claudia

I am in the Blue Mountains (Sydney Aus) and I too find the pricing tool to be rediculously low. I look and ignore it. I base my pricing on local comparisons - those properties with similar offerings and quality to mine. Bookings seem to have slowed down but I am mostly putting it down to more available listings. The local large BnB businesses incl. hotels & motels have come onto Air which I believe, is putting pressure on the small (though up-market) home-owners like me. I think it is a shame as due to these listers, the whole nature of Airbnb being in someone's home are therefore 'personal' is changing! It is losing the personal touch that it was designed to be. 

Kind regards

Deborah

Den0
Level 3
United Kingdom

This has now become a real serious issue. I believe Airbnb has a problem with the location algorithm and smart pricing is destroying the Airbnb host market reducing prices to less than regular long term rental income with less hassle. I believe Airbnb is pushing prices down on purpose to compete against the hotels but this will leave them with only occasional hosts and harming their own business. 

Den, this is where I wished I'd paid more attention in Econ class because
doesn't it mean if more hosts dropped out that the demand would be higher
and that the remaining hosts could charge more money?

Den,

AirBnB doesn't give a rat's ass if we make money, it makes more money EVERYTIME we rent. They makes their fees if we practically give our rooms away!

Remove the Smart Pricing from your listing and go thru EVERY date and change them back to what you will accept. Be sure to add for special occasions and holidays. you may rent less but less hassle for same money in the long haul!

~~~_/)~~~Terry Farman

~~~

Lawrence18
Level 1
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Hi, I realise this is an old post, but it interested me as I have a maths background. Most algorithms are based around certain assumptions, or constants. Playing around with airbnb suggests they have a penetration pricing model (get more customers in the door, more customers increases airbnb coverage), rather than a premium pricing policy that you describe (keep the price high to attract premium customers and exclusivity).  You have to strike a balance between price and occupancy that suits you. Setting a minimum acceptable price in airbnb obviously helps, but I suspect smarter airbnb 'travellers' have already worked out that if they shop around they get the best last minute prices. This will drive the average price down.

I have had a number of enquires lately that expire, then come back, testing the pricing, or just outright ask me for a better price. Hold your ground, they generally come back if you have a good product.

Exclusive Hotels manage pricing very carefully and never advertise reduced prices directly (as customers will always expect them), but instead go to third-party websites to advertise their rooms cheaper anonymously or create specials, Weekend breaks etc, that will offer a cheap 'empty night'; often Sunday, if you pay full price for the premium nights. This is a good way to go.

I keep my prices constant, reflecting a premium property, and get a steady trickle of bookings, often last minute. For me, a higher occupancy would mean a lot more work for not much more return, if any.

The best suggestion to maximise return is to maximise the quality of your product, lifting it above the rest.

Trust this helps.

Thank you for articulating what I could not. I completely agree.

Hello Lawrence. I read your response with interest and agree with your conclusions. Yes, I do hold my ground and yes, I have worked hard to offer a an ever better listing. I have long maintained superhost status and am presently hovering at 95% overall rating, with position being my lowest at 87%. 

And yet, I just got an email from Airbnb urging me to lower my prices from already rock bottom levels and informing me that other, comparable, listings in my area had offered their listings at 18, 29 and 32 Euros a night in November and December.  In the center of Florence....Low season and even a rational penetration pricing model can explain this phenomenon. Airbnb is presently destroying the market and will soon kill the geese that lays its golden eggs...certainly the geese who pay our taxes and try to work well within the system.

Personally, my only recourse has been to discourage longer rental periods increase my cleaning and other ancillary charges....a rotten and Ryanairish response.

Neil10
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

yes I am experienccing the same and the price tool is just a guide you dont have to use it. But yes airbnb is over for people using it to make money, it is not intended for professional landlords but a tool for people with an extra bed etc to rent out and meet new people. Since Brexit the UK pound has fallen and therefor the cost of living is rising and UK is becoming an export country after years of importing cheap stuff from China.

Although its affecting me I welcome it as I have young children and dont like greedy landlords blocking the way forward for the younger generation. No such thing as a free lunch my friends so it maybe time to get a job and to stop using houses as money making tools remember houses are for living in and not to be traded as a commodity. More power to airbnb let the prices fall and landlords go bankrupt and house prices restore to sensible levels so the next generation can come to London and thrive.

Terry75
Level 1
Port Republic, MD

Hi Claudia,

Please enter thru your Price Settings on top right. Remove their Smart Settings. AirBnB makes more money the more often you rent despite wht you make. Set your own prices, adding premium pricing for weekends and special events for the ENTIRE year.. I make mine higher than most, rent less but have more desirable guests when I do!

~~~~_/)~~~Terry **

Terry

Thanks so much for this answer.  It's new information for me and makes perfect sense why AirBnB is encouraging us to make our pricing so low.  I've been using the Smart Pricing because I trusted their ( I know. Dumb.) algorithm, but it's set my prices as low as $68/night for a two-bedroom apartment in Chicago in a hot neighbohrood.  

Lynn

Boris33
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

It is a disaster! Airbnb wants us to make it cheaper to book on Airbnb then to pay the proper rent with all the bills included!? Nonsense! What are we? A charity for tourists!? In London the rents are the highest, so should be the airbnb fees!