[Privacy issue] How to hide the detail of my reviews (from Host)

Answered!
Zheng-正-0
Level 3
Mountain View, CA

[Privacy issue] How to hide the detail of my reviews (from Host)

I just checked all my reviews received from the Hosts, it really freak me out.

1. It has the location and time, could know when and where I went since I started using Airbnb.

2. It has the full content of the review, and it totally out of control. I do not want the host mention too much personal details of me but no ways to control.

3. It has the link to my hosts, and anyone could reach to my host and possible to get all my stay details.

Please advice how I could control my reviews details.

Thanks!

1 Best Answer

@Reniel-Justin0  Well, there is some value in being able to cross-reference reviews. As a host, I will sometimes check not only how hosts have reviewed a guest who wishes to book with me, but look at how the guest has reviewed their past hosts to make sure they don't have a history of complaints about every place they have stayed.

A guest might want to do something similar- check on how a host has reviewed their past guests. Does the host nitpick about everything with guests, are they hypercritical? Does the host come across as some emotional nutcase in their reviews of guests or do they sound professional?

View Best Answer in original post

52 Replies 52

I agree with the poster. I almost wrote a Welcome note to guests checking in using the name of an ex girlfriend that was mentioned in past reviews. Also sometimes we have 2 men or 2 women staying in our studio, so as a point of privacy I also never mention gender or names in my reviews,  just refer to the +1 as a travel companion. The poster has a point though where you have been and what date is not private. As hosts we should use some anonymity when leaving reviews though. 

I have a question not exactly on topic. But hope someone might know. Why would a host make a good comment about a guest be not visible on the account that everyone sees? I could only think so it looks the place hasn't been rented? No reviews showing publicly but place has been rented. Any further ideas any one. 

Hi @Joel933 , @Zheng-正-0 

A little late to the thread. 

Is the root issue here is that the profile is public, and can be searched by Google? (or a similar search engine). And have you tried the setting within account settings > Privacy & sharing settings > Include my profile and listing in search engines and set that to off? Perhaps Airbnb could change the default to off. 

Ansuman0_0-1650502692054.png

Reniel-Justin0
Level 2
Las Pinas, Philippines

I also agree with the OP on this one. This is really a privacy issue. Airbnb is collecting information from their users and the users SHOULD have the ability to hide this information in public.

Maybe Airbnb can do something like;  Hosts can see the reviews and other details of the guest but non-hosts should not be able to see reviews from other guests. 

@Reniel-Justin0  That would defeat the entire purpose of guests leaving reviews for hosts. Reviews guests leave are read by other guests looking for properties who want to read what other guests' experiences were like there.

Or do you mean guests should not be able to see reviews left for other guests by hosts?

I think you got confused with my message (or I was not able to explain it well). I'm talking about the reviews by the host to the guests only.

1. View reviews from guests to hosts' listing (Available)

2. View reviews from guests to guests' profile (Not Available)
3. View reviews from hosts to guests' profile (Available)

4. View reviews from hosts to hosts' listing (Available)

@Reniel-Justin0  Well, there is some value in being able to cross-reference reviews. As a host, I will sometimes check not only how hosts have reviewed a guest who wishes to book with me, but look at how the guest has reviewed their past hosts to make sure they don't have a history of complaints about every place they have stayed.

A guest might want to do something similar- check on how a host has reviewed their past guests. Does the host nitpick about everything with guests, are they hypercritical? Does the host come across as some emotional nutcase in their reviews of guests or do they sound professional?

Geri26
Level 10
Adelaide, Australia

To be honest @Reniel-Justin0 , most Airbnb users are only on the platform to book their own accommodation and are not there to 'spy' on previous guests.  Those with ill-intent are more likely to be casing the host and their home and have no interest in previous guests at all.