[Privacy issue] How to hide the detail of my reviews (from Host)

Answered!
Zheng-正-0
Level 3
Mountain View, CA

[Privacy issue] How to hide the detail of my reviews (from Host)

I just checked all my reviews received from the Hosts, it really freak me out.

1. It has the location and time, could know when and where I went since I started using Airbnb.

2. It has the full content of the review, and it totally out of control. I do not want the host mention too much personal details of me but no ways to control.

3. It has the link to my hosts, and anyone could reach to my host and possible to get all my stay details.

Please advice how I could control my reviews details.

Thanks!

1 Best Answer

@Reniel-Justin0  Well, there is some value in being able to cross-reference reviews. As a host, I will sometimes check not only how hosts have reviewed a guest who wishes to book with me, but look at how the guest has reviewed their past hosts to make sure they don't have a history of complaints about every place they have stayed.

A guest might want to do something similar- check on how a host has reviewed their past guests. Does the host nitpick about everything with guests, are they hypercritical? Does the host come across as some emotional nutcase in their reviews of guests or do they sound professional?

View Best Answer in original post

52 Replies 52

@Helen350 Well said! Exactly!

Joel933
Level 2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

I agree with the privacy concern folks. I have no problem with hosts seeing reviews left by other hosts. But I do not want the public at large being able to see that a host from some location at some time left a review at all. This is an electronic trail of geographic location. Just by reading that host John Doe from Dairy, Maine left a review.  Public showing profiles should only show reviews left by the guest not left by the hosts. By all

means show host reviews to other hosts though. 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

I disagree @Joel933 ! Hosts benefit from seeing host's reviews of guests. If a guest has previous reviews, saying they caused damage, left mess, got drunk, made accusations, or did anything disrespectful, then hosts need to know, so they can consider whether to host. That is one of the BEST things about Airbnb imo; the mutual aspect. We are allowing strangers into our HOMES, not running hotels; it's not necessarily running a business, it's offerring hospitality in our HOMES; and we can expect and demand gracious GUESTS, not entitled customers!

You didn't actually read my post did you? Just knee jerk reacted to what you thought it was about. I specifically stated (twice actually) that hosts SHOULD be able to read reviews by other hosts for a guest. It's the public at large that should not be able to read reviews left by hosts for a guest. As this provides a publicly viewable geographic trail to the guests history. Since the host review starts with "Host Name, Host Location" left a review. 

Helen350
Level 10

@Joel933 The public at large can not read reviews because the public at large do not have access to the platform! Even Airbnb members can not google someone and bring up their Airbnb profile, the way you can with Twitter,fb, or Linkedin. You can only find an Airbnb profile by ACCIDENT, by stumbling on a listing a person once stayed at..... Because Airbnb profiles have numbers in the URLs, not names, you can't look up anyone you know, to be nosey! (lol!) 

I believe I already covered any response to this reply in other replies. Read the whole thread. You are correct a person would have to be a member to view host reviews on another member’s profile. This doesn’t negate my concern. 

Helen350
Level 10

@Joel933 I DID read the whole thread; indeed I commented WAY back before you entered the fray!

@Joel933 "But I do not want the public at large being able to see that a host from some location at some time left a review at all. This is an electronic trail of geographic location."

Your listing itself is an electronic trail of geographic location that is visible to the public at large.

Leaving a review has nothing to do with that.

Not if you don't leave a review as a guest. If you're a host then your comment makes sense but then this post isn't for you in the first place.

@Joel933 I don't understand. You seemed to be talking about hosts leaving reviews and now you are talking about guests leaving reviews? (which I realize was the topic of this thread).

Someone who was trying to track a guest would have to be able to access the guest's account and see their reviews, which isn't possible. Only hosts can see a guest's profile when looking for their reviews, not the general public.

What listing? I am not a host. I have no listing.

As a guest, i.e. a consumer of services provided by Airbnb and their hosts, I do not want other guests or the public at large able to see reviews left for me by hosts i.e. the owner of the property I have stayed at.

As a guest, I have no problem with hosts being able to see reviews left for me by others hosts.

I am under the impression that when another guest user reads a profile of someone they can see the reviews left by hosts. 

@Joel933 But how can a guest user read another guest's profile? Guests can read host's profiles, because the host has a listing, but how are you, as a guest (or a member if the general public) , able to access another guest's profile?

If you are a guest  and go to a listing that another guest has reviewed you can click on their photo associated with that review and it will take you to that user's profile. Where the reviews left by hosts are clearly visible.

@Joel933 Okay, but you would have to know that the other guest had stayed at that listing in the first place to go looking for their profile like that.

My point was never about a specific person looking for a trail for another person on purpose. 

My point is that there exists a trail that just doesn't need to be there.

I personally don't want even some random who happens to click on a list review for whatever reason, witty words, cute photo, negative comments whatever sets them off, to have a trail of any kind. 

To reiterate, the host's reviews on someone's profile should only be viewable by other hosts.