Private Chef

Private Chef

Hello Fellow Hosts!  I'm a new host and really tired of guest inquiries for addl things after the init. inq... 

Pls help!:

How should I respond to a guest requesting to have a private chef come by a couple days during their 3-4day stay?

23 Replies 23
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Are they asking you to book the private chef for them? 

@Lawrene0 , thk you for your reply!!

No. Just that they want the Chef to have access a couple days. One, I just feel irry about any drop-in guests, and two my listing clearly indicates no drop-ins. So, I just don't like that seldom get request for drop-ins (chef, friend, etc.)... Ahhhhh

A private chef sounds pretty safe, but you don't have to do anything you don't want to, CEEE. @Emiel1 and @Mel101 have some good ideas about turning it to your advantage, but it's your place and you get to decide. 

By rights, they should have asked about the private chef BEFORE booking, but after-booking requests do happen to all of us. 

And @Susan151's response is brilliant!

@Chateau0 Elan Executive Estate re. your other query about low bookings, I think you have just answered your own question. I think almost anyone booking a property at that scale will want to be able to entertain.

@Lisa723  Yep, I also know you're right the  (No Event rule) is probably hurting.  But it would then be considered an event (&cost more bec of events liabilities) versus "Guest stay" and... our HOA does not allow for Events...".

So,  thkg thru ;-))

Well, there is a big difference between "events" and "drop-ins," isn't there?

Hello

My name is Johnny Carino. I am a Georgia private chef. Maybe easier on you to introduce them to take a chef.com

They gave private chefs all over the US. Your guests can use the link and not bother while you provided the resource.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

Tell him that sounds like great fun, and he should message you and let you know who he finds on google and how it all turned out.

@Mark116 thank you for your reply!!

😉 Ok...

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@An-Exclusive-Estate-In-C0

Your listing is an exclusive accomodation for a larger group of guests. I can imagine such guests want also some exclusive cooking during their stay. So maybe you should think of even offering such a feature ! So instead of considering the Chef as a "drop-in" guest, maybe it's just a great idea and you should try to work something out which benefits everybody.

Best regards, Emiel

Hi @Emiel1 I think this is a great idea, and if he could work with a local chef, could also make a finders fee from the guests as an additional service. Thus it makes something like this an income stream instead of a perceived pain

@Emiel1 ~  Thank you for your response!  Yep, I know &~def realize.  But right now just want to keep it to "Accomodations" only... Especially because anything else can easily become an small "Event".

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

I am baffled by your initial response. This is the hospitality business. You have a place that is in the $600 a night range. Anyone who can afford this might want any number of services on-site. I can imagine a yoga instructor, massage therapist, golf coach, and yes, a private chef.

If I were you, I would say "absolutely" and then require proof that the private chef has all the required permits and licenses, and get a copy of their insurance that protects you should something go wrong. You could even require that the chef bring all the dishes, silverware, cooking implements, etc., and when these folks are done, I would put together a list of area vendors that you are comfortable having on your property.