Problem Hosting - Can we make Airbnb Legal In Weehawken NJ?

Answered!

Problem Hosting - Can we make Airbnb Legal In Weehawken NJ?

Dear Hello Host,

My name is Fiona. I have been a host here for over six years and I have enjoyed welcoming thousands of guest from all walk of live to my home. It been a great run but now the Building department of Weehawken and building owners are now cracking host down. It is pretty serious and stressful as a host especially if you are being sent to court and having to pay a fine to the housing department and then being evicted by your landlord and sued… I am writing today asking for two things.

1. That's we all come together as host and fight this to make hosting legal in the city of Weehawken just like Jersey City did and now they are allow to host and pay a small fees (Which is not a bad idea).

We as host are gaining from having guest so is this community. The stores and restaurants are making more money because of the guest who comes into the community. The new rental Bikes that are placed all around Weehawken are not being used by locals, the bikes are mostly rented and paid for by the amazing many guest.

The city are making most of their money from issuing tickets to drivers and fining tenants and other people. They can actually make way more money by taking some percentage from host. Jersey City is doing it, and West New York host are also fighting for the same. We can do the same as we are in a very nice and prime area which is over looking the NYC Skyline.

2. We can be careful or and hide and try not to get caught doing this and try to look out for each other.

There are groups of people out there who act as guest, asking to book your homes on Airbnb but they are actually paid to catch you and report you to the town and the landlords.

Two of my neighbour just got eviction last month due to him doing Airbnb as well.

If you or anyone you know have received a letter, been fined or warned, please let me know and I would appreciate all of your support and advise on how to go about this and I will appreciate it more if we can come together and fight this together in Weehawken alone, there are over 1000+ Host.

I hope to hearing back from you all.
Be careful, Stay safe and Happy Hosting.

Many thanks

Fiona

PS: Please Pass this one to Other Host

1 Best Answer

Bill Murphy passed new legislation on July 1st allowing municipalities to tax transient accomodations, A-1753 (https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2018/Bills/AL18/49_.HTM).

Hopefully this will make Weehawken officials wake up and update their ordinance. 

As a host, I'm all for paying my fair share of taxes and following safety standards for my guests and neighbors. 

View Best Answer in original post

37 Replies 37

Hello Amazing Weehawken Host, 

What we Host are going through in weehawken is really sad / bad. Some of us have a summon to show up in court next month February. I’m not sure if we can all show up, or if we need to sign petition, or maybe there’s nothing that would really help us out at this point. 

Word on the street is that the hotel developers down by the river has “settled” the building department or  more people in authority to try shut down Airbnb this way they can get all the guest in their hotel. Also, there are some people, very few who will never get shut down by the building department “they are allowed to host or room and board” why, I can’t give details...

When you ask the Buildng department to show you the Ordinance they show you something from 1990 and doesn’t apply to today’s Airbnb housing and boarding situation. Even the State of NJ Okayed room and boarding but this city is just settling with the little “settlement” that they have gotten... they could have done a deal with the host where they take fees from Host just like Jersey City and other NJ Cities. Maybe someone hasn’t hint them on that.  

I’m really not sure what we can do. I have not heard of any crime committed by any guest since I have lived in this town. So, I’m not sure why they can’t just let us continue to host. The Hotels by the river would get booking so would we. 

Many restaurants,  cafes and gift shops in the area had mentioned that they are doing well because of all the visitors that’s stoping by for breakfast and dinners at their cafes and restaurants. Maybe some of those restaurants and businesses need to chime in to see if that would help (maybe)

Maybe we should all write a letter to the mayors office. Telling him the benefit of Hosting to us and the community (I’m sure that they know) and telling him how there’s no crime committed by guest (they know that too) and how they can charge us all some fees, just like in Jersey City (maybe they don’t know how much they’ll make from us all - they might give in if they know)

Good Luck to us all. I look forward to reading from you all. 

Hi Fiona, thank you for all the efforts you’ve made. I guess there’s nothing we can do at this moment...

Hi Fiona, may I have your email address? I have some questions regarding Airbnb in Weehawken. Thanks a lot!

Hi Fiona , my name is Thiago Reis . How we can talk about it ? 

Danny-and-Jane0
Level 2
Rutherford, NJ

Hello Fiona- how do we help out?! I’m interested in participating in anything to see if is possible?! To keep hosting in weehawken?!

Danny-and-Jane0
Level 2
Rutherford, NJ

How can I get in touch with Fina about weehawken rules on hosting- short term ?!

Emily898
Level 1
Weehawken, NJ

As a home owner... is it illegal to have AirBnB guests in your home? 

Thiago-Henrique0
Level 2
São Paulo, BR

Hi My name is Thiago . I need help . i just receive this letter and i dont know what to do . My building its doing for a long time the land lord was doing so i did one time last year im been living in the same building for 4 years . and now i receive this letter i dont know what i have to do my phone number is *sensitive information hidden* thank you