Problem Hosting - Can we make Airbnb Legal In Weehawken NJ?

Answered!

Problem Hosting - Can we make Airbnb Legal In Weehawken NJ?

Dear Hello Host,

My name is Fiona. I have been a host here for over six years and I have enjoyed welcoming thousands of guest from all walk of live to my home. It been a great run but now the Building department of Weehawken and building owners are now cracking host down. It is pretty serious and stressful as a host especially if you are being sent to court and having to pay a fine to the housing department and then being evicted by your landlord and sued… I am writing today asking for two things.

1. That's we all come together as host and fight this to make hosting legal in the city of Weehawken just like Jersey City did and now they are allow to host and pay a small fees (Which is not a bad idea).

We as host are gaining from having guest so is this community. The stores and restaurants are making more money because of the guest who comes into the community. The new rental Bikes that are placed all around Weehawken are not being used by locals, the bikes are mostly rented and paid for by the amazing many guest.

The city are making most of their money from issuing tickets to drivers and fining tenants and other people. They can actually make way more money by taking some percentage from host. Jersey City is doing it, and West New York host are also fighting for the same. We can do the same as we are in a very nice and prime area which is over looking the NYC Skyline.

2. We can be careful or and hide and try not to get caught doing this and try to look out for each other.

There are groups of people out there who act as guest, asking to book your homes on Airbnb but they are actually paid to catch you and report you to the town and the landlords.

Two of my neighbour just got eviction last month due to him doing Airbnb as well.

If you or anyone you know have received a letter, been fined or warned, please let me know and I would appreciate all of your support and advise on how to go about this and I will appreciate it more if we can come together and fight this together in Weehawken alone, there are over 1000+ Host.

I hope to hearing back from you all.
Be careful, Stay safe and Happy Hosting.

Many thanks

Fiona

PS: Please Pass this one to Other Host

1 Best Answer

Bill Murphy passed new legislation on July 1st allowing municipalities to tax transient accomodations, A-1753 (https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2018/Bills/AL18/49_.HTM).

Hopefully this will make Weehawken officials wake up and update their ordinance. 

As a host, I'm all for paying my fair share of taxes and following safety standards for my guests and neighbors. 

View Best Answer in original post

37 Replies 37
Maria-Lurdes0
Level 10
Union City, NJ

Hi @Fiona268, I know of at least 4 hosts in Weehawken that have been shut down, and I knew my time would come, and now it has.   I've been served with "Final Notice" (which was the first notice).  One host that I spoke with today spent $10k on a lawyer and still had to shut down, but he was able to negotiate an extension to allow him time to deal with the guest situation.  

Feel free to reach out to me if you like.

Hi Maria,

how are you doing, great I hope. 

how to contact you? I tried sending you message through your listing but is not possible. Pls contact me. 

Connect with me through the contact button on my site, superhostnyc 

🙂

Hi Maria. Can you chat with me ?  I received the final notice and would like your guidance. Can I call you?  I’m super host in weehawken thanks. Jose 

Hello Fiona and Maria. We received the notification as well. Is it possible to chat with you via phone to know how you handled it or are handling it ?  Thanks. Jose

Hi Maria. This is José. 

Hello.. o just got notice of illegal hosting in weehawken- I was doing short term and I stop- so I thought it was ok to do 30- days or longer and I got cited again?!  What to do next?!

Pete0
Level 2
Destin, FL

Hi Maria:

So sorry to hear that.   I hope you are getting through it.   Best of luck to you. 

Pete

Mark1068
Level 1
New York, NY

Hi. Guys. I'm a world traveler who has visited over thirty countries.  I took the opportunity to host treavellers here in weehawken almost five years ago.  I just got served with a final notice just a week after my first notice.  The town is coming hard.  I'd be happy to explore any option.  Thanks for reading

mark

Hi Mark. Is it possible to chat ?  I received the notification to shut down. Thanks. Jose 

hi! Can someone help me out? i receive a about two months ago a letter from myy owner's lawyer, warning us that we shouldnt be doing any kind of rentals sublets and airbnb. |I know the twon is after them. Be cause i saw the papers of the court to the owner. Other than that i havent heard anything else anymore. Thank good ness i havent been doing airbnb this year much only one rental in 2018 as i had long term roommates. Should I be worried about any of these? 

Can they come after me? I am about to move out.

Hi Maria, I left you a message yesterday, did you get it?

Hi Maria. Can we chat ? I’m having the same problem. 

hi! Can someone help me out? i receive a about two months ago a letter from myy owner's lawyer, warning us that we shouldnt be doing any kind of rentals sublets and airbnb. |I know the twon is after them. Be cause i saw the papers of the court to the owner. Other than that i havent heard anything else anymore. Thank good ness i havent been doing airbnb this year much only one rental in 2018 as i had long term roommates. Should I be worried about any of these? 

Can they come after me? I am about to move out. I received it as well as my neighbor.