Problem guest turns into sweetie

Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

Problem guest turns into sweetie

I was  inspired to post this anecodote, after reading another thread about a nice guest who turned into a monster, as an illustration that it can go both ways.  

So...a guest who I thought was going to be a problem, ended up turning into a sweetie!!  Within the first 10 minutes of his arrival for his 3 day reservation,  he had already broken two house rules.  He had brought a friend into my house, and I dont' allow guests to have visitors.  He said the friend "will be staying a half an hour or so."  (oh no he won't!), and then both of them came into the house with shoes --- shoes OFF is the policy here. 

So I very quickly caught him up to speed on the house rules which I had advised him to read before arrival.  I told him his friend would have to leave, at which they both smiled, thinking I was joking.  Then their faces fell when they saw I was serious, and he said, "Are you SERIOUS?"  Jeez.  Awkward.  But they went out side to talk.  When he comes back in, I engage him in general chat to try to alleviate the awkwardness, during which he says that he will "maybe" be leaving on his checkout day.  MAYBE??!!  

Again I became concerned and came back sharply with "You WILL be leaving on Tuesday, because I have someone else arriving that afternoon."  I was worried about how much more awkward things could get. But then I took him on a tour of the house and was as friendly to him as I could manage to be, and he tried too, and later on we chatted and talked about his work and his moving to this area, and his search for an apartment, and pretty soon we were getting on quite well.  It actually was surprising and delightful how things turned around and the rapport between us improved during his stay and more time to chat.  

So ---- you never know.  I think it takes a mature guest to be able to be "corrected"about his oversights without turning defensive and staying resentful, but it can and does happen!  And this certainly helps make up for those many instances where a guest/renter was totally unable to take any correction without becoming a veritable Tasmanian Devil.  
2 Replies 2
Russell49
Level 10
Katoomba, Australia

Sometimes the GUEST (notice the emphasis!) needs to remember that they do not own the property just because they are paid guests. I have had a few guests treat the place as if it is a hotel. I WILL give them a review that reflects this.

I have also had smokers stay and ask where they can smoke....I tell them near the street away from the room.Air BnB guests do not always look at the description or the rules as they can be mesmerized by the property itself.Sometimes they need to be reminded of the rules anlong with terms and conditions!

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

This story is a wonderful testament that people can be good and mature with firm , polite guidance. 

I have been in similiar circumstances ( guests tracking in pot aroma) . I felt so powerful and good about myself when I illicited changed behaviour in guest. He left me a good review too.

Most people respect rules that have a reason. But everyone does like to push it