Problem with Airbnb Host Guarantee & Airbnb Support

Alice357
Level 2
Melbourne, Australia

Problem with Airbnb Host Guarantee & Airbnb Support

Hi. I'm having issues even with property damages and items stolen by a guest. This is not the first time that I have guest with 0-1 positive review, verified by Airbnb, and ended up with terrible outcome. 

The guest has additional guests stay over, smoked heavily inside the house, damaged quite a few items, left a whole mess with stains and chemicals residues, and even human feces! The guest has even opened up my locked cabinet and stolen my equipments, supplies from my cabinets. Once the guest checked out, we were traumatised by this whole incident, and we reported to Airbnb immediately via Resolution centre, with all the photos and evidences. However, I'm still waiting for Airbnb team for reply, and the wait is over a month now. And they are bouncing my issue to Safety team and there is no reply despite they said they will get back to me within 48hrs after 3 weeks.

I am getting no support from Airbnb. There is no longer call to support, and apparently Airbnb will refer you to send messages via Airbnb app, which they will keep referring you away by Helpbot. They promised to get back to you, but they never did, and the reply was that they have high amount of inquiries and they are not able to respond as quickly.

This is really frustrating, plus the long suffering this year with all the cancellations with Covid-19. I'm wondering if any Host has experienced the same issue dealing with Airbnb? Do you escalate your complaint further ?

8 Replies 8
Stuart177
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

wow. I really sympathise with your situation that is terrible. Please update this thread and let us know how it proceeds.I would file a police report for theft. The other problem is that this person will still have an active airbnb account and do the same to other hosts...

Not to want to diminish your dreadful experience but I am having problems reporting a guest for fraud and false identity. There is no way todo it ! No-one knows! Customer support said to report it to the internal team via the report user tab, but it railroads you into scenarios to only report hosts! Under scamming ie did host ask you to pay cash etc. 

Support for hosts in the face of fraud, theft and crime is really something that us hosts need to demand.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

@Stuart177 

Definitely! Something needs to be done.

I just gave an explicit review of an erratic Guest. Did you review?

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

@Alice357 

That's awful Alice.... sending support and love. Keep nagging and don't give up.

Hope you will get attention soon x

Sharon1155
Level 2
Auburn, CA

I had a guest state one guest on the reservation request, then showed up with a unexpected guest of her own.  They proceeded to say up until 2:30 a.m. enjoying each other, with other guests on the first floor! No one brought it to my attention until the next day. Of course the disturbed guests were disgruntled and left early. I had a straight five stars until she came along...she stated that the space wasn’t adequately described!

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

@Sharon1155 

That's horrible Sharon... sorry to hear. So disrespectful. What did you say in your review ?

Jamie206
Level 10
Pooler, GA

@Alice357 

I finally had to give up on the host guarantee. They've changed their policy regarding it. Basically, in a nut shell, they don't want to payout for any damages anymore, so they've made changes to the effect that making a claim just makes your life miserable. All we have currently is the review and a tax deduction....

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Doesn't sound good. Did it work previously? I thought I had proposed a sum which would uncontentiously be deducted if required. Perhaps Guests have felt that their consent was needed to the extraction of money and complaint was made so might this have caused a change? I think I'm post change as had no benefit. Have you previously received a pay out unilaterally?

We're experiencing a similar issue. A guest accidentally set a fire in our house! No reply from Airbnb 2 weeks later. We've chased multiple times. Super disappointing. If you have any tips, please do share. We're seriously considering leaving Airbnb 😞