Problem with Airbnb Host Guarantee: hosts beware!!

Answered!
Valentina32
Level 9
London, United Kingdom

Problem with Airbnb Host Guarantee: hosts beware!!

Dear Hosts,

I have been a host for many years and recently found myself in a situation where a group of guests caused considerable damage to my property.

I submitted my request to Airbnb on time and according to guidelines and after two weeks of back and forth where Airbnb asked me to provide a sizeable amount of documents to prove the damage, I was told that my Host Guarantee payment request had been declined as it was not possible to determine the guest's liability for the damages.

This is more than disappointing  as it means that unless you can prove your guest was directly responsible for the damage (by taking a picture of the damage while it is happening? by installing CCTVs in your property?) Airbnb will not cover you. When I raised this point I was told that they are sorry but Airbnb reserves the right to make the final determination with regard to these disputes.

What this tells me is that the Airbnb Host Guarantee is not exactly what they lead us to believe and the deposit they hold for you (which should be held on your behalf exactly for situations like this one) is little more than a joke.

I do not feel as safe leaving my house in the hands of strangers which could damage it without consequences.

Please be careful and assume that Airbnb will not cover for your damages and take extra precautions to protect your property.

If anyone else had similar experiences please share!

Valentina

1 Best Answer
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

View Best Answer in original post

219 Replies 219
Naomi123
Level 1
Manchester, United Kingdom

Same thing happened to me on my FIRST hosting experience. Perfectly working LED TV when left property, damaged when I turned on the screen (unfortunately AFTER I had left glowing reviews for the guest). Airbnb said can't be proven. Their Host Protection is a sham. 

David704
Level 2
Portland, OR

The Trust and Safety team is the reason why this Superhost just blocked future bookings starting October 1st and is now going to start accepting bookings on other platforms to phase out of Airbnb altogether. My guest had a "visitor" who slammed and broke the tub shower door. I scrambled to find the least expensive replacement and an installer who could replace it before the next guest arrived on the same day. The Trust and Safety representative started the process saying they needed "just one more thing" (an invoice) and that expanded into 5 more documents. English is not his native language as evidenced by sentences that made no sense whatsoever. He didn't understand my questions and left them unanswered, he couldn't discern a receipt from an invoice and when I called Airbnb asking to speak with a supervisor in that department, I was told they only communicate by email. And now, they are only willing to pay 2/3rds. In otherwords, they don't care. So after my upcoming trip next month where I am using my Airbnb Superhost credit, I will no longer be a customer, either. In the past year we stayed at about 4 or 5 Airbnb's - never again. 

Excellent post by David and such a common story I find it difficult to believe that this not a known issue in the upper reaches of AirBnB, this has been going on for many years, so why is it being ignored?

David

Thank you David for sharing, I now feel less lonely in my desperation. We would like to switch platforms as well. Do you know of any?

Try Homeaway.com and Flipkey.com

they both charge the guest a Security Deposit in the amount that you stipulate.

I have my listing on both of the above platform.

Lea102
Level 1
Rome, Italy

Hello, 

I was not aware of the way Airbnb treat their host, I am now... and I am very dispointed to use Airbnb that long. I had big damage in my property too, Airbnb gave me couples of days to send document... but as I was away I couldn't. They close my demand, and that sit. I have to renovated my apartment with my own money even if it's not my fault...

You can always take the matter to arbitration.

David

We turned instant booking on, and a guest booked one of our rooms. She brought her boyfriend. They stole items from our home we were keeping for a friend. AirBnB claims no reponsibility. We did research and found that the boyfriend has a record for selling drugs. Trust and Safety and the Host Guarantee do seem to be a sham. I may have to follow David's example and phase out using it alogether.

Adrien95
Level 2
Paris, France

Some people on here seem to be employed by abb. We just had a dreadful experience, similar to many stories described on this thread. The guests broke  a piece of furniture, we asked for a small amount, the guests refused to pay, and abb ended up saying we have to expect some damage on old furniture. In our view the way abb is exploiting its market power is outrageous. Are there any alternative sites to which we could switch? 

Thanks for any tips.

Yes, Homeaway.com, Flipkey.com

Both of these websites actually take a Security Deposit from the Guest.

Yes the "Host guarantee" is a joke and a big scam to get hosts to list their property on Airbnb. 
I have had hell with Airbnb not paying for damages clearly done and acknowledge by guests.

Airbnb only cares about making money from both guests and hosts. 

I cannot understand why there has not been a Class action lawsuite against Airbnb yet about this matter.

Maybe we as hosts need need to come together and take action against this false claim.

All the other wesites I am on take a Security Deposit from the Guest, except Airbnb.

So I have started to request a "Security Deposit" of $250 from all my AIrbnb guest, everyone should start doing that and you will have no more damages to your place.

Justin358
Level 2
Nottingham, United Kingdom

I am very new to Hosting and my place is proving very popular as it is in the city centre, so I thought I would have a quick look into this host guarantee.  Just shocking to see how long this thread goes on for, but then considering the amount of lets happening on ABB is it that long?.?.?.. hmmm I am not sure.

It is a difficult one, if ABB paid out all claims then the percentage we pay would go up.

I think what should happen is ABB should provide a clear guide on how we can best protect our selves as hosts, then if a honest claim is needed we should be in principle be OK.  I don't believe that ABB does want to help its host (after all no Hosts no ABB), they probably just have not given it the consideration it deserves with the speed the company has grown.

If anyone has a links to advise on how best to protect your home, espcially when you are like me and the guests are stay in your property with you, then that would be useful.

Thanks

@Justin358   The best thing you can do is to have Short Term Renters insurance in addition to your Home Owners Policy. It is honestly the only way to protect yourself. I do entire homes and have commercial insurance to cover my butt. 

They reason you have not experienced damage to your place is because you are in the same place as you are renting. 

I do not live in the house I rent, no one does. So the guest think that they can do anything since the owner is no where around and they did not have to pay a security deposit. 

Not saying all guest damage your place but there are a few who will and will also steal things like towels etc.

The best thing you can do is screen your guest thoroughly before you accept them.

@Anonymous  You can be delisted for requesting the security deposit off the AirBnB platform. All money must flow through AirBnB, so advising others to also do this is not a good idea.