Problem with Airbnb Host Guarantee: hosts beware!!

Answered!
Valentina32
Level 9
London, United Kingdom

Problem with Airbnb Host Guarantee: hosts beware!!

Dear Hosts,

I have been a host for many years and recently found myself in a situation where a group of guests caused considerable damage to my property.

I submitted my request to Airbnb on time and according to guidelines and after two weeks of back and forth where Airbnb asked me to provide a sizeable amount of documents to prove the damage, I was told that my Host Guarantee payment request had been declined as it was not possible to determine the guest's liability for the damages.

This is more than disappointing  as it means that unless you can prove your guest was directly responsible for the damage (by taking a picture of the damage while it is happening? by installing CCTVs in your property?) Airbnb will not cover you. When I raised this point I was told that they are sorry but Airbnb reserves the right to make the final determination with regard to these disputes.

What this tells me is that the Airbnb Host Guarantee is not exactly what they lead us to believe and the deposit they hold for you (which should be held on your behalf exactly for situations like this one) is little more than a joke.

I do not feel as safe leaving my house in the hands of strangers which could damage it without consequences.

Please be careful and assume that Airbnb will not cover for your damages and take extra precautions to protect your property.

If anyone else had similar experiences please share!

Valentina

1 Best Answer
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

View Best Answer in original post

219 Replies 219

This getting like Fb here, where you get shamed by the sheep for putting in an honest response to a real situation because (i'm just taking an educated guess) they don't want dissenters talking here about how Airbnb handles their claims with prejudice against their business partner hosts.   Like either of you rent at my level or know the hassles involved in renting a $1MM property. Lol  Either that or your getting some incentive for the boot licking attacks on fellow hosts, either way it doesn't make sense that you troll others profiles and then attack them off on topic issues unless your financially motivated or your someone I don't care to know anyways.

I usually rent out a very large, spacious and luxurious house sitting on 13 acres on the lakefront (according to my renters), sorry I don't fit into your box on how I should run a property, but then again- I'm not telling you how to run yours or trolling you.  There's plenty of demand for it, so that stands on its own.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Sarah977 @Mike-And-Jane0 

Small time, inexperienced hosts like you just don't get it. Better to leave this to the "experts".

@Elaine701  Also love the presumption that just because someone might only have a modest listing that they have never had any experience dealing with any other properties.

It's interesting how some people take suggestions as to how they might lessen their rental issues as attacks, while others thank responders for taking the time to look at their listing and offering an objective look at things they might not have considered that are contributing to the issues.

I am listed on several other platforms and I have found that Airbnb is the worst for customer support.  I had a situation where a guest picked up a teak table and broke into the main part of our rental also damaging the main door as he tried to break in while his fiance was inside.  He then broke the french door glass and unlocked the main door cutting his arm and hand in the process.  There was blood everywhere and on all the linens and floor.  The table was broken and windows.  The guest called us the morning that they were checking out to tell us about the issue and said he would pay for the whole thing.  We were panicked as we had another guest coming in in 5 hours.  We all were communicating with our cell phones and not on the Airbnb website.  This small detail caused Airbnb to not only refuse to pay for the damages, but they did not even keep the $475 deposit from the guest who wrote them a letter stating that it was his fault!  All of this because we did not communicate over the platform.

I was out $4500 with all the clean up and replacement parts and furniture.  Now I hear Airbnb is installing other policies that will allow guests to claim damages or issues up to 3 days after their stay.  Also that the hosts could be on the hook to provide a disgruntled guest an upgraded hotel stays if the guests so desire.  This is insane!

I am making them a lot of money and should be treated as such.  I will be looking into my own website booking platform based on their stance.  Also, when they call you to discuss issues, the call comes in as spam and not Airbnb.  That's another failure.  I find the quality of guests and the other platforms to be much more responsive to the hosts.

Danushka4
Level 1
Pasadena, CA

If airbnb does not take care of the host, they will leave. It is sad that they dropped their host protection 

Catherine1274
Level 3
Bellingham, WA

I just found this out the hard way. There's no guarantee at all. Guest had 6-8 people over for parties lasting a few hours in a 3 person max place, and they booked for 2 and had at least 1 if not 2 overnight guests without asking if it's ok. AND then they left water damage on the hardwood floor and airbnb said "too bad", it's wear and tear. In order to patch that spot and make it look artful, not a patch, it will cost $3000. The guests only paid $1500 for their whole trip. Airbnb has put me in the hole this season which was supposed to be the high season. 

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Sean119
Level 10
Blue Hill, ME

Correct, there is little value in the "guarantee" offered by ABB.  

The story could be mine exactly AirBnb has no interest in anything but their own bottom line. Get your own insurance!!!!!

Yes but then your own insurance blows up because you used it and all while Airbnb pockets their money first.  11 days of calls and emails and no responses, is apparently the standard. The guest is still active and he has now a 3rd 72 hour period to respond.  

Yes, I agree.  Need  to protect yourself.  I have a policy through Proper Insurance.  Seems to be a good policy although I have not made a claim on it yet....I have founds lots of positive comments about experiences with it.

It's a gimmick - hosts believe a deposit is what is says on the tin, but really it's optional for guests after checkout.  

Someone please file a class action lawsuit!

Brian Chesky lies about superhosts being the best part of Airbnb.  As long as they make money up front it’s screw you when you have a problem.  If there is no real support and guarantee from Airbnb, why not channel to pay cash direct to hosts and insure ourselves

Just last week guest lost my key and I have proff as guest said her mom removed it from where it’s supposed to be . It’s been 3 days no reply from Airbnb as guest doesn’t want to pay . 

Did you get this resolved?