Problem with current guest

Timo24
Level 1
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Problem with current guest

Hi everyone,

So, at the moment I'm having sort of an issue with my current guest. I've been a host since april and never had any problems (only 5 star reviews). However, this person is different. The current guest is the longest staying guest I ever had (12 days). 

So, the situation is the following: my listing is based in the centre of amsterdam, it's a monumental building and typically a building you will find in Amsterdam (steep stairs and so on). Because it's a monumental building we are not allowed to change the glass in the windows and since it's located in the city centre it gets noisy sometimes - this is described in the description several times.

Next to that is the bathroom really small which is also noticeable on the pictures provided. 

What happened is the following: the guest checked-in last night and immediately went out, was not interested in us checking him in etc.

This morning I got a message saying he wants a full-refund because there is no sink in the bathroom and the noise is unbearable (we provide earplugs). Personally I think he is slightly overreacting regarding the sound - I live upstairs so also would've heard it if there was loud sounds since I'm a light sleeper.

My cancellation policy is set to strict which means he doesn't get anything refunded after the check-in. However, I did offer to cancel the reservation and refund the money we get for any new booking in the time he would've been there - he declines.

Now he's saying he's going to sue me and airbnb because this is now a personal issue. I told him he accepted the apartment as it is described and it isn't any different in real, the pictures do not shape a different image of the apartment in any way and also, for example, you don't see any sink on the pictures in the bathroom.

I was wondering if you guys have any tips or advice on how to proceed?

Cheers,

Timo

7 Replies 7
Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Timo24 Hi,

I hope your exchange is on the booking page, since that is the record Airbnb looks into in case of disputes.

If not re-iterate their message through Airbnb - Hi Guest, this to confirm your Whatsapp message, just so I have everything on one platform for better oversight. You say ...... It's regretful that you were not interested in us checking you in, because we could then have shown you the  typical features of a genuine old inner-city building with Monument status in the heart of the city.

If it's not on the message page yet, tell him: My cancellation status is X which is automatically agreed to and accepted upon booking. The apartment has been off the market for some time (if booked longer I'd mention the time), thus reducing the chances to re-book. However, if you cancel, then the remaining days will be freed up and I am happy to re-imburse you any and all days I manage to get booked.

By the way - never, ever cancel for a guest - the penalties are huge.

Stay unemotional, factual, and professional.

He cannot sue you, and if he does threaten you on the Airbnb page, you can report him via the little gray flag in the upper corner of the message. Airbnb do not react well to extortion.

Personally, I would be on the phone to Airbnb if it escalates quickly:

020 5222333 - it's a local # but switches through to the Ireland office, en ze hebben ook nederlands-pratende medewerkers daar.

Good luck.

Timo24
Level 1
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Hi Andrea,

Thanks for your message. I have contacted Airbnb by phone and they are trying to resolve it for me by talking to him.

Thanks again!

Kind regards,

Timo

@Timo24 - It's nice to hear that Airbnb is working on your behalf.  

You didn't ask for suggestions, so feel free to ignore my unsolicited advice - take a better picture of the bathroom. The ones you have are really up close and, personally, I wouldn't even have thought twice that there would be a sink in there.  Also, in the new format, Airbnb has an option to provide clarity for the guests on certain issues that they must agree to in advance.  You should make people agree that they understand the noise issue upfront as well as no sink in the bath (where do you wash your hands or brush your teeth?). JM2C. 

Hi Alice & Jeff,

Thanks for your advice. I'll definitely look into that, I think it'll be key in making sure this kind of things never happen again.

Have a nice day!

Kind regards,

Timo

@Timo24 isn't it frustrating when items are listed in your listing, yet guests must not read them?  I've had that happen a few times, with my too-small bathroom as well.

@Alice-and-Jeff0 - where is this feature located?  I have not come across it.  Thanks!

@Zoe34It's the new checkboxes that let you list any limitations with amenities, noise problems, specific pets, etc. I think it's under the amenities page. You have to go into edit mode on your listing.

It's actually in the House Rules Editing section at the end.  Once you select Amenity limitation, it lets you fill in the blank.

Navigation: Host - Manage Listing - Manage listing - Booking Settings - House Rules - Edit

Here's what it says:
Details guests must know about your home
Set expectations about your home that your guests must agree to before booking.

Must climb stairs

Potential for noise

Pet(s) live on property

No parking on property

Some spaces are shared

Amenity limitations