Problem with guests and August Smart Lock

Problem with guests and August Smart Lock

Hello All, 

I am using August Smart Lock- Recommended and supported by Airbandb. 

Check-in is one of the stars in the review. 

I am using what the Airbnb recommended and I'm and getting bad numbers because 90% of guests don't understand what they need to do. 

I believe that if the Host is using the August Smart Lock should not be reviewed for this. The host did not design the lock or create the software. 

The host cannot be responsible on the behalf of August, Airbnb or guest. 

If people agree with me here and I get the support I want to push airband for this to be removed.  

14 Replies 14
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Michael-And-Sasha0 Yeah, we investigated and discarded the idea of using the August system because a lot of people seem to have issues with it. We've been using the Schlage Smart system at home and professionally for two years, and it's great. I also use Airbnb as a guest, and I don't like the idea of having to download an app to get into my Airbnb. August just doesn't seem to be a well-thought-out product.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Michael-And-Sasha0  I've never been a guest yet, only a host, but if I were a guest, I also wouldn't want to have to download an app to check into a property. Not only that, the assumption is that all guests will have a working smart phone with them (maybe their phone needs charging and they haven't had the opportunity to charge it). Believe it or not, everyone doesn't use a smart phone, me for one. So any property that used this check-in system would be unbookable for me.

Perhaps you should look at using a different check-in system since guests are having such a hard time with it and marking you down.

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Michael-And-Sasha0 Hello, I was a guest using August Smart Lock at one place - it was awful.....I didn't want to be forced to use my phone and download, and once I couldnt get out of the house - didn't like it at all. 

As an Airbnb Super Host I have used Schlage with battery/key operated codes - its great. my guest are given a code 4 numbers - you will program manually the numbers and delete them as you like. Some hosts use the last 4 of peoples phone numbers. I put in a list of numbers and give them to a few guests and then delete them. I have used it 1 1/2 yr it works everytime. Easy for guest. Cost me at Lowe's $99. Easy install.........and battery is good for 3 yrs. there are keys also if you need. I recommend it highly. good luck. If the August isn't working - I would make it easy on myself and change it out - send it back. Remember you want your guests to be able to just walk up, keypad code in, open! Its easy.

happy hosting, Clara

Hello Clara,

Do you know what model of Schlage lock you have? It seem to be working great for you and we are interested in trying too.

All the best, Sirilak

Hello, 

Thank you all for replying. I am not happy with August, but that is a different issue. 

What I was trying to say is that August is recommended by Airband, but the host gets reviewed. I don't believe that I should be reviewed for other peoples inventions.  

Larissa112
Level 8
Boulder, CO

@Michael-And-Sasha0 

What are the problems your guests are having?  We are new hosts and are using August based off of consumer reviews, not because of AirBnB's recs...we have had no problems yet with check in and have been happy with the August system. 

With ours, the guest does not have to download the app, they are emailed ther entry code automatically when they book through AirBnB.  They can use their 5 digit entry code OR they can download the app if they want to use their smart phone as the key.  

We also provide sets of house keys so guests have the option of using a key or their code. 

Anyways, curious what issues you are having so perhaps we can be more prepared!  Thank you in advance! 

The main problem we have is guests don't read the instructions and 50% of them do not install the key until they come to check in.

We did indicate the smart lock on every possible page. I must follow up with every guest and make sure that they have the key ready. 

From my perspective, this is too much work. I will probably buy the August smart keypad and see how that will work

Yes, in my opinion, the keypad is absolutely essential.

If your guests are still having issues after you have one, I do want to know and prepare. 

Eddie, I got the keypad and it saved my life!!! If I knew this before !!!

Dear Host, if you are using the August Smark lock, save yourself the trouble and buy the keypad !!

Heather649
Level 2
Kamloops, Canada

Hi Michael and Sasha, 

I am sorry for your frustration. I have found a Smart Lock System developed by a software engineer called The Airlocking System.  It might be the answer to your difficulties.  

I am cutting and pasting a description from their website for your information:

THE AIRLOCKING SYSTEM:

INSTALL LOCK AND HUB:
AirLocking ships you a Smart lock system. You just need to connect the system to the internet and follow the straightforward instructions to install the lock.

GUESTS RECEIVE DOOR CODE:
AirLocking automatically emails your guests' door codes in advance of their trips along with other check-in information you wish to pass along. You are copied on these emails for your tracking.

LINK WITH AIRBNB CALENDAR:
AirLocking seamlessly links with your Airbnb calendar to track reservations. The AirLocking portal provides status information and allows you to control guest notifications.

LOCK UPDATED WITH CODES:
AirLocking enables the door code in the lock at check-in time and disables it after checkout time. AirLocking also allows you to have codes for your own use which are separate from the guest codes.

CHECK-OUT BUTTON: (Patent Pending)
Airlocking has added a new feature--a CHECK-OUT BUTTON. When guests leave, they are asked to push this button. Instantly, the Host is alerted to their departure and can proceed with Cleaning Services or Repairs.

Best wishes, Heather

Good morning Heather, 

Thank you for the message. Buying the keypad for August Smart Lock we have resolved the problem. 

All the best, 

Michael and Sasha

Hi Michael, I am curious about how the keypad has worked for you. I too love the august but have had guests who seem to stumble around the app and even sometimes the keypad they are just not pressing it correctly I'll have multiple incorrect code warnings and then after I tell them to try yet again carefully it goes through. I love it when I have guests who have it all set up before I have to say anything! I am unfortunately on my 3rd keypad. the first kept supposedly running out of batteries after a few weeks even when not used. once taking it apart and putting it back helped. the second one just died and we kept replacing batteries and finally replaced AGAIN. it is a lifesaver to just have a quick code.

Maia29
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

We have a Schlage key pad and i laminated a sign with directions on how to use it because guests kept thinking that after you enter the code, the door will automatically open. 

Even though ugh i have a sign with directions, guests still complain about “unclear checkin directions” although there is clearly a sign next to it with directions. 

I laminate and put signs everywhere. 

I hear you. I have the check-in text that I send out on the check-in day  and always highlight: 

Please find a minute to read the instruction and let me know if you have any questions. Following up and reminding the guests is crucial. 

Also, what I've learned is that sugar-coated text doesn't work. Ill of my instructions is short and precise, fewer words better.