Problems changing my email address

Answered!

Problems changing my email address

I stopped using one my my internet service providers and need to change my email address.  They Airbnb system thinks my new email address already exists (it is my other longstanding email addy) and won't let me use it.

Without changing to the new email addy, I will not get reservation requestions.

Why no direct help from Airbnb with this, so tough to get service?

How do I resolve this issue?

1 Best Answer
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

View Best Answer in original post

34 Replies 34
Tim414
Level 1
Auckland, New Zealand

I'm having exactly the same problem. The online help is a circular route to zilch solution.

Fariba3
Level 2
North Vancouver, Canada

I have had the same problem and I have called Airbnb and no help 

They are not helpful at all 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Fariba3

Hi Fariba. Have you tried following this link....

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/362/how-do-i-change-the-email-address-i-use-for-airbnb.

If you have what steps have you already taken. Let me know and I may be able to help further.

Cheers....Rob

Hi Robin and all,

I am also trying to change my email address and tried using the link above. The problem is when I try to change it, it asks for my password, however I don't have a password as I login through facebook. So am unable to change my email address (which is my old work email). It's also impossible to get in contact with anyone at airbnb to resolve this. The "contact us" button is really "don't contact us".

Can anyone out there help?! 🙂 

Thanks

Toby

@Toby62  You need to disconnect your FB account. Flollow the directions below and you should be able to change your email and get a password reset. 

Here are the full steps.. You need to sign in with Facebook or Google to proceed' dialog:

1) Click on your Profile Picture  -> Settings -> Privacy -> Social Connections -> untick Share my activity

2) Edit profile -> Trust & Verification -> disconnect Facebook or Google

3) Log out

4) Try to Log back in with only your email. If you get the 'You need to sign into Facebook or Google dialog' continue with step (5)

5) Log out if you're logged in. On the login page, click FORGOT PASSWORD. This will send a reset password email - go through that and reset your password. Then login again with your email. No more mandatory Facebook or Google dialog!

I have done exactly as directed in the article linked above in reply to Robin 5/25/18. I have deleted and typed in my new email address more than a dozen times, saving and exiting each time. When I go back in to profile, the old email is always there. So, I try again. Why will the Profile page NOT save the new email? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Didn't work for me. It forces me to sign with FB, which I did, and refuses to save changes meaning they are still sending email to an INACTIVE EMAIL ADDRESS.

Esther-Padilla0
Level 2
Legazpi City, Philippines

tried this already but to no avail..

Had the same issue. Here is the solution. 

Problem: Can't change email address because my account is tie to my FB account, thus my Airbnb email address is the same as my FB email address. Every time I try to change my email, the system opens up a FB window and prompts me to enter my FB passwaord, then nothing happens. 

Solution: Disconnect your FB account from Airbnb account. After that, you will be able to change your email address successfully! 

Step by step guide: 

Click on your Photo icon -> Trust and Verification -> Disconnect Facebook

Click on your Photo icon -> Edit Profile -> Enter your new email address and click save -> the system will prompts you to enter your Airbnb password (likely your FB password) -> DONE! 

Let me know if this help! (or doesn't) 

Sharon650
Level 1
Portadown, United Kingdom

Hi, I cannot access my airbnb email address but I cannot change it without my password which  I have forgotten. If I requested a chnage password link it is obviously sending it to the email I cannot access. I hope this makes sense to someone. I have made two bookings for a trip and I need to get my email confirmations. Please help!!

same here..

Also same. How stupid are these developers? Every other website on the planet has no issue with this. @Airbnb 

Jo497
Level 1
Penzance, United Kingdom

I was told by air BnB support that the reason I can't change my email address is because I set it up via Facebook. Although I  have already updated Facebook with the new email. They told me I need to delete my account and set up a new one . But to do that I had to contact support. They confirmed they had deactivated my acct but it's still on there and you can't have two accounts at one time. Ive given up for now ...it shouldn't be this difficult to just update an email address 

Esther-Padilla0
Level 2
Legazpi City, Philippines

same with my problem..the email add that appears at my airbnb account was my old one..i have a new email account already but the airbnb wont accept it including my password

Adrian529
Level 1
Cape Town, South Africa

absolutely ridiculous problem to have. AIRBNB - I don't have access to this old email address!!!!

I can't change my email address because it requires a password, which I've forgotten. I can't change the password, because it sends the new password to the email I want to change in the first place. Are you deliberately trying to make people go insane? I've bee on hold for an hour trying to resolve this... and it doesn't look good. I keep everyone updated on progress if any.