Problems with Airbnb and resolution center, no help at all. Awful guests protected by Airbnb. Be ver

Janie12
Level 2
Montreal, Canada

Problems with Airbnb and resolution center, no help at all. Awful guests protected by Airbnb. Be ver

IMG_0136.JPGIMG_0135.JPGIMG_0134.JPGI'm a Superhost from Montreal, who has been doing business with Airbnb since June 2016. We hosted, so far, more than 90 reservations. Lately I had major issues with one guest. The initial reservation was for 2 guests but they were at least 5 people. Which we have proof, since it was caugh on the outside camera. The person who did the reservation was not present everyday of the stay. As usual they did the party on the last day of the reservation.They smoked in the unit, even if it's strictly prohibited by the house rules. They left cigarettes butts on the wooden floor, burned the sofa and left a hole on it. They left burned marks on the living room table and on the master bedroom table. Additionally they broke the iron frame of a leather chair and broke 3 glasses of wine. They smoke an amazing amount of cigarettes in the unit.

Worst then the problem itself, the way Airbnb has handled this situation is a real nightmare.

We called them, and told us that they handle this situation only over email.
So we wrote to them, a first time : no answer.
A second time : no answer.
A third time : they sent us a prewritten response, like an automatic email response.

We wrote to them again and again. and then they sent us an other automatic response. Everytime this process is taking 2-3 days to have an answer.

So we wrote to them again, and then the answer was that after considering all the informations and documentations we gave them the conclusion is that they cannot pay for any damages, since we had an other guest who checked in before we filled the complaint.

From AirBnb : Hosts must submit their request either 14 days from the guest’s check out, or before the next guest checks in, whichever is earlier

The thing is that our unit is almost always rented, so the same day they checked out , we had an other guest coming in.
We cleaned as fast as we could and tried to fix the maximum of damages.

If something like this happen to you. I would suggest to you to cancel the next reservation and not rent to anyone until the situation has been resolve by Airbnb.

So to them it doesn't matter at all if the guests ruined a couch , a chair, did a party and smoke in the house. We had a 1000$ deposit for this apartment.
We asked for 1698$ Canadien dollars and they offered us 0$. Final decision.
Things are handle in a more humain way with every other competitors of Airbnb.

To treat a Super host, like this, who invested more than 400 000$ for this unit, makes us think that maybe we did a mistake by choosing Airbnb over the competition. Choosing an other option for our business is now something we planned on doing in the future.

Do you have any suggestions on how to reach out to them?
Do you think its normal the way they handle the case?
They say they gonna back you for a 1000 000$ but they dont even give you the deposit.....normal?
Thank you for your help.

Sent from my iPadIMG_0133.JPG

36 Replies 36

@Sarah977 

The media would have a field day with that note!

@Jimi17 So sorry this happened to you! Given the note, is this reportable as a crime? And I agree with @Susan17: Unless you want to provide estimates from "a licensed chair makers" (yes, this actually happened to one host, and no, no such license exists) you will get better results by going to the media. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Susan17 @Jimi17  It's astounding to me that there seem to be a constant supply of these type of animals, booking and trashing people's homes and proud of it. I don't consider myself naive, and in the course of life, have dealt with all manner of scammers and slobs, the irresponsible, and people who don't bother taking care of other people's stuff, but the degree and sheer numbers of these types of situations are just unreal.  

We can take Airbnb to task for not vetting, not responding responsibly and not removing the bad apples from the platform, but that so many of these folks exist is mind-blowing.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

What is apparent from @Jimi17's horror show is that it isn't simply a matter of these people lying about their intentions to throw a party- it seems that the express intention of these scenes is to destroy the home. This isn't just a party gotten out of hand, it's a pre-meditated crime.

Amador8
Level 2
Aurora, CO

And that is why you can file a small claim case in court. Recently people celebrated and unauthorized party in my listing. Airbnb blew it off and told me they cant share their resolution. They have grown so big they dont care for hosts since there are plenty, they dont care if you stop hosting. Horrible horrible experience but dont give up. 

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

airbnb is really starting to really suck. They always side with the guest and do the absolute least possible when it comes to paying out a claim through their supposed "million dollar liability insurance coverage". That "insurance" is a farce and completely useless. I'm starting to really really HATE airbnb. Sorry they screwed you. 

Ying245
Level 2
Beaumont-de-Lomagne, France

I'm thinking about joining booking.com. Airbnb is cold, cruel and cunning.