Problems with Airbnb and resolution center, no help at all. Awful guests protected by Airbnb. Be ver

Janie12
Level 2
Montreal, Canada

Problems with Airbnb and resolution center, no help at all. Awful guests protected by Airbnb. Be ver

IMG_0136.JPGIMG_0135.JPGIMG_0134.JPGI'm a Superhost from Montreal, who has been doing business with Airbnb since June 2016. We hosted, so far, more than 90 reservations. Lately I had major issues with one guest. The initial reservation was for 2 guests but they were at least 5 people. Which we have proof, since it was caugh on the outside camera. The person who did the reservation was not present everyday of the stay. As usual they did the party on the last day of the reservation.They smoked in the unit, even if it's strictly prohibited by the house rules. They left cigarettes butts on the wooden floor, burned the sofa and left a hole on it. They left burned marks on the living room table and on the master bedroom table. Additionally they broke the iron frame of a leather chair and broke 3 glasses of wine. They smoke an amazing amount of cigarettes in the unit.

Worst then the problem itself, the way Airbnb has handled this situation is a real nightmare.

We called them, and told us that they handle this situation only over email.
So we wrote to them, a first time : no answer.
A second time : no answer.
A third time : they sent us a prewritten response, like an automatic email response.

We wrote to them again and again. and then they sent us an other automatic response. Everytime this process is taking 2-3 days to have an answer.

So we wrote to them again, and then the answer was that after considering all the informations and documentations we gave them the conclusion is that they cannot pay for any damages, since we had an other guest who checked in before we filled the complaint.

From AirBnb : Hosts must submit their request either 14 days from the guest’s check out, or before the next guest checks in, whichever is earlier

The thing is that our unit is almost always rented, so the same day they checked out , we had an other guest coming in.
We cleaned as fast as we could and tried to fix the maximum of damages.

If something like this happen to you. I would suggest to you to cancel the next reservation and not rent to anyone until the situation has been resolve by Airbnb.

So to them it doesn't matter at all if the guests ruined a couch , a chair, did a party and smoke in the house. We had a 1000$ deposit for this apartment.
We asked for 1698$ Canadien dollars and they offered us 0$. Final decision.
Things are handle in a more humain way with every other competitors of Airbnb.

To treat a Super host, like this, who invested more than 400 000$ for this unit, makes us think that maybe we did a mistake by choosing Airbnb over the competition. Choosing an other option for our business is now something we planned on doing in the future.

Do you have any suggestions on how to reach out to them?
Do you think its normal the way they handle the case?
They say they gonna back you for a 1000 000$ but they dont even give you the deposit.....normal?
Thank you for your help.

Sent from my iPadIMG_0133.JPG

36 Replies 36
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Is this normal - yes

Should you cancel the next reservtion - probably not, you still do not know what if anything you will be able to get back so you are exchanging a known booking income for the possibility of something. Now there may be a large issue vs a one night booking where this is a reasonable bet.

If you do need to cancel, contact AirBnb citing Extenuating Circumstances.

I am on site, if I was renting out a seperate property I would want a decent Security Deposit I control and that is not something you can do using AirBnb. More and more guests seem to realise that there is little risk.

David
Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

Those are the rules. Its pretty black and white. Chalk it up to a lesson learned and don't stock anything in the house you cant have repaired easily, replace cheaply or just thrown away. We aren't hosting mini-motels, we are hosting our homes which should show some wear and tear and smell like its lived in. I think we have expectations that guests care about our possessions as much as we do and as soon as we as hosts remove this thought process the better off we will be. Motels have minimal furnishings and the pictures are literally nailed to the wall and so is the TV. The desk is old and well worn, but people choose it because of cleanliness, location and price. No one ever speaks to furnishings when choosing a place to stay.  To avoid this in the future I would raise my rates. A place as nice as yours should be commanding a bit more. Best of luck.

That's crazy though. You would have this host cancel paid reservations in HOPES of getting reimbursed for the damages (that likely added up to LESS than the future paid reservations) sometime in the future? That's just crazy. Especially, when airbnb isn't even opening claims over the phone... only via email now... so they don't have to act in a timely manner. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Janie12 Yes this just about the way the Resolution Centre works, They do everything in their power to frustrate hosts claims and although we probably only see the tip of the iceberg here, your experience has been exactly mirrored countless times before.

You have to assume that you are the guilty party here and provide as much evidence to substantiate your cvlaim! You must immediately before each guest arrives and immediately after the guest vacates the property set your camera to take time and date stamped photos which will cut off that route of escape for Airbnb. They will not be able to mount an argument as to the timing of the damage. It will relate to the paticular guest you are claiming against.

You must also pre-empt that the Resolution Centre will act in their designed roll, that being as a damage minimisation arm of the company so be prepared to take the issue further. State in your claim that owing to the nature of a past settlement a copy of this claim is (or will) be forwarded to Airbnb management and include the CEO's email address....it is widely available.

They work on the fact that you are ignorant and will accept whatever they decree. Be very professional and cover every base efficiently and leave them no escape clause.

It will possibly never happen again Janie...things like this are not a regular occurence but it is best to allow for the worst and try to cover yourself because Airbnb are not going to. You have to drag them kicking and screaming into any sort of resolution.

Cheers.....Rob

Joni5
Level 1
Austin, TX

I feel for you, yes, keep as little of items around as possible and furnishings easy to clean and raise the deposit amount...

BTW, what type of outdoor camera do you use?  Thx, -Joni

Our cameras are outdoors only, they are Arlo wireless. 

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Instead of cancelling on your next guest, you may find it less stressful to have Airbnb automatically put a day between reservations.  In your Availability Settings you can change the Preparation Time to "Block 1 night before and after each reservation" that way you have time to take pictures and submit your claim before the next guest checks in.

Yes, that'll really help! Make 50% less!? LOL are you for real? 

Irina70
Level 2
Tauranga, New Zealand

I am sorry for you, I myself had a very bad experience with AirBnb on different matter - mine was they somehow unblocked my calendar and allowed instant booking in the middle of my blocked days. When I had to cancel - communicating politely with the proposed guests and explaining them what happened and even giving them other options - I was instantly moved to "risky" status and my next earnings were nearly halved as a fine to me. All being fine before and having great references. Communicating with Air Bnb proved to be very time consuming and utterly useless. I rang, I wrote etc. And I was only able to do that because I am above average computer literacy, I don't know how older people can reach AiRBnb at all. My opinion now is that AirBnb is very guest-pro and very unfair to the hosts (I've been a guest as well a few times). Example: hosts have to sign the contract that we never discriminate on the race basis  -which is fine, but if I am afraid of people with faces totally covered but still must accept them as guests in my home,  the guests themselves can do absolutely everything they wish against the house rules and not be punished in any way (except the reference which means nothing for them). So I guess it's now up to us -if we want to stay hosts of AirBnB - AirBnb began as a very good and much needed company but I am afraid it is changing not in the right direction! Irina ***

I tee 100%. They used to be great now they could care less!!!

Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

Thinking out loud wondering if there isn't a workaround for this.

Charge $XX/night, give $XX back if all is in order.  Would that work?

After reading enough of these types of posts, I've come to the conclusion that:

1.  Security deposits are worthless;

2. Off-site renting is a nightmare;

3. Checking guest reviews is critical;

4. Cheap garbage from IKEA is the way to go.

*sigh*

1. Not totally worthless but AirBnB definition of a Security Deposit is not what most people assume. Certainly not to be relied upon.

2. Higher risk, requires more thought and bigger margins.

3. Most of my guests have no reviews are very few reviews. 

4.  You have to think of it as any business would do, if you are a high end listing IKEA probably would not suffice.

David

Although I've had mostly wonderful and respectful guests, I have been mostly satisfied with my damage refund. I did have a front door that was busted, costs $900 to replace and airbnb only allowed $200 for the damage. This is a part of doing business and the expense is a hassle but also a write off 

Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

By the way, @Janie12, your apartments are absolutely stunning.

I love the modern style and you've captured it beautiful.  The cement walls made me drool, the hardwood floors just fabulous!