Problems with guest and Airbnb resolution

Michele213
Level 1
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Problems with guest and Airbnb resolution

Hi,
I've hosted the house a lot of times without major problems, but now I'm having a guest that is a pain in the ass. He made me absurd requests and he has been complaining about everything. I also know that he brought 15 people to my house when his reservation was for only four.
But he complain to airbnb, and now airbnb offered them (without asking me) to stay in the house with a discount.
What shall I do? I don't want to give my house to an idiot who is paying less only because he complained to airbnb...

14 Replies 14
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

You need to contact Airbnb directly and give them your side of the story.  You can Google for the contact number in your country.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello

Sorry to hear you are having problems. But you need to give more detail what sort of requests is he making. Why is BNB offering him a refund? Have you told BNB he has booked for 4 but 15 people are there?

Just had a look at your place. You have no charge for extra guests and in your house rules you have nothing to say that only those who have booked and paid can stay/come in your space. I would change that now.

The more I read stories like yours, the more I am considering deleting my ABB account altogether. In story after story I hear hosts say the same thing: Guests get away with all kinds of s**t, then complain to ABB about the host and ABB takes their side without question. Who needs it? Craigslist worked just fine for me for 8 years before ABB came along!

Totally agree, Airbnb treats you unfairly while there are some other agencies thta work better and even have online assistance!!!! 

Which agencies are these?

Which agencies are they? I want to delete all four of my listings. I had a similarly unfair mediation with a guest who lied and exploted me and AirBNB refunded him even though I had evidence of the texts. It was unbelievable.

@Claudia365 wrote:

Totally agree, Airbnb treats you unfairly while there are some other agencies thta work better and even have online assistance!!!! 

Sue193
Level 1
Rancho Santa Fe, CA

I just had my first guest and they completey destroyed my home including vomit all over the couches.  I've contacted Airbnb and opened a dispute but having a hard time on anyone contacting me back.  Anyone have suggestions?  They did thousands of dollars of damage to my home.

I am having the same problem.

The guest has paid to Airbnb, they have not released funds to me and will not call or e mail me.

It will be a month on 18 March.

Diane 

Super Host 

Claudia365
Level 2
Havana, Cuba

I had a very unpleasant situation with Airbnb guests. They invited street girls (hookers) to the house even thought the House RUles are indicating otherwise. The guests were drunk and I asked them to leave. Since they refused and were in such a bad temper, the police had to be involved. It was a very nasty situation, neighbors watching and me very upset. I called Airbnb to cancel the reservation explaining the situation (let me say that trying to get in touch with Airbnb is a hard work to do, specialy if your country does not have an Airbnb ofice) since I did not want to deal with the guest for refunding. I receive an email from Airbnb: " Due to this incident, I worked with management to give you the full payout and we refunded the guest on our end." However, not only was I discounted from my payouts the nights the guests were not hosted, but also an extra charge due to the reimbursement made to the guests. After getting in touch with Airbnb they said they need to revise and raise the case with account manager. Due to all the inconveniences and insecurity with Airbnb (not to mention lack of commintment towards the hosts-unless of course you are a host that can make Airbnb earn some money) I will definitely remove my profile from Airbnb. 

you need to write to the CEO , you can google his name and email address.

Lorna15
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

I too, have been hosting on Airbnb for years.

Communication with Airbnb has been frustrating; supportive one minute then arbitrary and unreachable the next. Twice, Airbnb guests have breached the “terms and conditions” and damaged my property: one used my place as a business; the second refused to leave for almost 12 hours. When called (numerous times, placed on hold for hours and advised that Airbnb is “no longer involved ... do whatever you have to do to get him out”. Trust and Safety advised to call the Police. The Police advised they don’t get “involved in residential matters...to change the locks and place his belongings on the curb”. Airbnb offered empathy, acknowledged and apologized for the stressful situation, provided funds under the Host Guarantee THEN deactivated my account! 

I have over a hundred great reviews yet without any warning, they canceled future reservations (leaving one guest who deposited money since January, 2018, had registered for classes and needed personal information for Visa requirements - stranded by the last minute Airbnb deactivation at the last minute)! Not only did they derail the plans but notified the guest the cancellation was my doing!

Disgusting, unprofessional and unethical Platform.

see https://www.curbed.com/2016/12/13/13933554/airbnb-vacation-rental-alternatives.

Orli2
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

I have been a SuperHost with four listings for years.

On one of the listings, I recently had a guest with a dog who lied to me about his dog's breed. (He told me he didn't know what breed his sweet and kind dog was.) I screen the breed that someone brings. because I have two small dogs , which are Shih Tzus. I let everyone know this in writing and on my  profile.

After he arrived, I saw that his dog was a Pitt Bull and he admitted to me that he was.  His dog jumped on me and nearly knocked me over. Then his dog snarled at my small dogs and there was 30 seconds of barking before we grabbed them to safety.  Before I knew it, he left, complained that his large Pitt Bull dog was victimized by my dogs!

I explained to AirBNB that he had a dangerous aggressive dog and I never would have accepted him if he had told me the truth. I showed AirBNB the texts where he misrepresented the breed and his temprament, putting us at risk.

Nevertheless, AirBNB gave him an almost 100% refund minus the one day he stayed there. I was not allowed to appeal. I was only given an automatic page to send Feedback about their review to which I received an automatic response. 

I was stunned. I no longer want to do any business with AirBNB as I don't trust them to protect me from people who lie and exploit.

Can anyone answer the following three questions to help me?

1. Is there anyway to let higher management know the serious consequences of this unfair decision? I think they should know what is happening. They will now lose tens of thousands of dollars when I leave.

2. What are some other good websites to post any temporary rentals, should I even decide to continue in this business?

3. How do I take my listings off?

Thanks so much!

Cynthia68
Level 2
St Petersburg, FL

I know this is a gripe about Airbnb and sometimes I get Annoyed with them but 5% of the time only in 8 years...however, 

I would not use VRBO. It's too easy for guests to do a charge back. I had a charge back that a guest did by accident. When I reached out to them, they were shocked and apologized. Before they could get back onto the country to fix it, VRBO pay process dept..awarded in their favor. Despite all the texts and emails I provided of the error. It's a good thing the guests were honest and just sent me the money back. I had no Idea it was that easy for a chargeback. They just took $2000 from my account like that. Onlyva 24 hr warning..I cancelled VRBO! Meanwhile I found that AIrbnb absorbs any chargebacks which is why I never heard of it in the 8 years with AIrbnb ..

Tess35
Level 2
Parañaque, Philippines

Hi everyone,

So I gathered there were serious issues that most of us here experienced.  May I ask, is there at least one here who got a response from Airbnb's CEO?  He might be too busy to even read our msgs.