Profile Photo No Longer Required To Book

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Profile Photo No Longer Required To Book

Latest news on profile photos. 

"Today, we’re announcing some changes we will be making to the way we display guest profile photos.

Moving forward, rather than displaying a potential guest’s profile photo before the booking is accepted, hosts will receive a guest’s photo in the booking process only after they’ve accepted the booking request. Airbnb does not require all guests to provide a photo. Instead, we’ll be giving hosts the option to ask their guests to provide a profile photo, which will only be presented to hosts after they accept the booking" 

https://press.airbnb.com/update-on-profile-photos/

110 Replies 110
Joan241
Level 2
Olney, MD

No you are not missing anything.   This is the way it is now.   I am actually considering selling my rental home and discontinuing Airbnb altogether for all of my properties.  I don't appreciate the way Airbnb went from a Host priority platform to a Guest priority platform.   It's our investment, our risk and should be our decision as to whom we open our home to or not.  

Susan1028
Level 10
Oregon, US

The racial profiling matter resulted from lawsuits about racial discrimination lodged against Airbnb.   Airbnb was forced to take action by the court.  They spun it into a reactive marketing campaign, which has been used by many with less than honorable intent to conceal needed information required to safely operate our business and protect our homes/properties by preventing us from having access to information required by insurance and law enforcement agencies to protect ourselves, our investments, and our neighbors/communities.

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/california_will_audit_airbnb_hosts_for_racial_discrimination

https://www.insurancejournal.com/news/west/2019/08/19/536411.htm

If you read the articles, Airbnb decided how to avoid significant fines and censure by hiding guest names/photos as a platform-wide initiative designed to make them look like racial profiling heroes.  They further chose to loosen the basic profile requirements that did offer some measure of safety...which has naturally resulted in where we are right now; with no recourse for safety and liability concerns that have in some cases proven traumatic/lethal and ultimately very expensive for hosts in many ways, and are rippling outwards further into the insurance industry and community structure/laws, with (once again) hosts bearing the financial/social burden. 

As a result of not being proactive concerning the likely outcomes of relaxed vetting by this platform, many homeowners' insurance providers are scrutinizing and refusing to ensure airbnb's due to the increased liability risks and lack of available information to pursue damages, and municipalities are reacting similarly with restrictions/bans that also create widespread effect. It's not just about lack of housing.  It's about safety. liability, and property values as well.

This was a visionary company and still is, there just needs to be a more balanced, larger focus about consequences, protecting all involved, and meeting customary/basic legal industry requirements so all involved are protected, rather then reactive policy designed to protect a few by making those who provide the means to make the money and are ultimately liable (hosts) most vulnerable of all.  It's simply not sustainable.

Ahhh...the challenges of creating new intentional community/economy.  No community or culture is immune from these issues, and in the US corporations are people too, complicating matters further.  I highly doubt those 3 guys trying to make rent who started all of this could forsee all of the consequences...but they have create a huge enterprise and it's time to assume responsibility for this creation and it's effects from a far broader then personal profit perspective before more of their demographic (hosts/guests/communities) are damaged and alienated.

Alison660
Level 2
Little Rock, AR

This is crazy, defeats the whole purpose of Airbnb.  We had an imposter in our place who was dealing drugs.  The only way we knew this was after he left and we got an email to rate him (name was Quintin) and Io and behold the profile Airbnb had was another person entirely named Kendrick.  Airbnb said it was perfectly OK for someone to change their name and selfie photo for the booking.  They said we would have to check the guest's government ID to be sure.  That is the only way to protect hosts.  We only knew after the fact that our rule "only registered guests" on the property was broken and he should not have received a refund.

Joan241
Level 2
Olney, MD

Did Airbnb really say: "We would have to check their Government ID"?   I didn't know that we even had access to their Government ID.    

Werner-and-Eileen0
Level 2
Brisbane City, Australia

Whatever legal jargon and requirements Airbnb have to abide by it plainly boils down to higher reject percentages when I don't feel comfortable with who is applying to stay in our PRIVATE abode. "We" are in control who stays at our place NOT Airbnb!!!

Eventually people are not going to apply to stay at Airbnb's anymore when they continuously get rejected and that will be the demise of Airbnb.

As a host  I have to supply pictures of myself, pictures of my home inside and out.  It is not too much to ask for a picture in advance of someone that will be staying in my home with me..