Profile photos with more than one persons prominently featured.

Liz140
Level 4
Danville, IN

Profile photos with more than one persons prominently featured.

Recently, I've had several guests book or inquire with two or more people in a photo.

If the people in the photo appear to be the same gender and/or have ungendered first names like Christian, or Kim, how am I to know which person in the photo, this profile belongs to? Not long ago a person booked my room came with a companion, and all weekend the companion called her by another name. When I addressed he by the name given in the profile she seemed a little confused, and then would suddenly respond. It was very odd.

I called Airbnb to discern if this was a third party booking. All they would tell me is that the verification process shows that the ID submitted matches one of the people in the photo. While Im certain this is true, which of the two girls in the photo does the ID match? I was told by someone who had a forien accent that they were not allowed to give out this information.

I think it is most likely that some forien call centers who contract with Air bnb do not have access to this info.....Also there are many more issues at nights and on weekends, which seems to coorespond to the times when I am most likely to be responded to by a forien call center who will not or can not address my needs. This needs to change. I'll pay a little more to get that changed, I'll bet most hosts would too. 

In any case, I think the policy of more than one person in a photo should be banished. I am a single woman, and don't want a third party booking with a serial killer. I can't believe this isn't policy already. Who do I need to complain to, to get this addressed? 

14 Replies 14
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why not just put it in your house rules that you only accept bookings from guests who provide a clear profile photo of themselves @Liz140 

Keri-Terrell0
Level 2
Chicago, IL

I just got a inquiry from a Christian.  How ironic, esp considering it's a females only apartment.  I just deleted my listings and will never return until they change their photo policy. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

What policy ? @Keri-Terrell0 

I'm surprised Airbnb didn't say anything when you cancelled multiple guest bookings last year.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Please don't think me rude, @Keri-Terrell0, but with the number of cancellations on your account, I'd be surprised if Airbnb are likely to mourn the loss of your listing.

Gordon, my post is not the place for you to respond to others nor shame them. Liz

@Liz140 

Why not just ask for clarification for the full name of the guest who will actually be coming and which person in the pic it is? 

I did that but, as explained the perdon at Air bnb would not tell me.

@Liz140message the guest.

I think many people here are missing the point. People engaging in a third party reservation are rarely honest about it. I could ask,.... and then be given false reassurance. Then what? Tell them I expect to see a photo ID at the door? Hardly...

It sours the relationship and my ratings. 

Just the same,  my safety is more important. Airbnb needs to change the policy so that hosts will not have to go through anything like this in the first place.

@Liz140 

Why would you ask Airbnb? You should communicate directly with the guest who booked with you. 

I agree with you.

In the past I had two third party bookings.  One was for the relative of an account holder and another one was for the spouse.  I asked both account holders for a recent photo of their relative/spouse, name, contact number, email address to send my bnb place information and house rules. 

However, in the future I will think twice accepting third party booking because I found out that Airbnb requires reservations booked for personal travel to be booked by the person who's going to stay at the bnb place.

Host should encourage the account holder to let their family member/friend to make an account. That way, I as the host will be covered by Airbnb whatever situation may arise and as for them the referred person and the referrer, both will earn a travel credit.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Liz140 Just because the person has a name or a profile picture doesn't meant that's nescessarily their name, or an actual picture of the person who will be staying. When Airbnb verifies ID, they don't lock the account so the information cannot be changed. I have my ID verified, but I could change my name or picture or anything I liked and Airbnb would have nothing to say about it. It's not a guarantee of anything.

As others have said, just talk to you guest. I don't think that the vast majority of people who have a pic with more than one person do it with malicious intent.

Katherine106
Level 2
Washington, DC

I disagree. There has been a long documented history of discrimination by airbnb hosts based on photos. This is why they eventually blocked photos until the booking is confirmed. As a result many people don't want to show a photo of themselves for fear they may be discriminated against. Putting two people in a photo especially of different genders or races is a tactic to avoid being discriminated against and it's a good one. when I see that I have respect for a person who is trying to navigate a biased culture. In addition people who normally travel with a spouse/partner or family member may choose to show that person for the benefit of hosts since that person may walk in the door first. You would be better off speaking directly to the guest, you don't have to be threatening, just let them know that you like to know who to expect so that you recognize them when they arrive, an that you confirm you don't have any bias about the way they look and would gladly welcome either one of them into your home. That, after all is the whole principle of airbnb isn't it.

My husband and I have an Airbnb in our home. Recently 2 men showed up for a booking that was orginally reserved by a woman and looked to be a husband and wife in the photo. One of the men said his wife couldn't come, so he brought a friend. Knowing our listing is a queen bed, the other guy brought a sleeping bag with him. Because my husband answered the door, we let them in, and saw later that the 1 man was the man in the photo with the woman. But later my husband asked what I would have done if I was the only one home (which sometimes happens--he works later hours). Would I have let 2 guys in? We have a dog--you can see her photo bombing our profile pic--but she's no guard dog. It really made me think about it.