Profile pictures are gone!

Tania-and-Andrew0
Level 10
Cancún, Mexico

Profile pictures are gone!

Hello,

Last week I noticed that Airbnb introduced (or is testing with some of us) a new way of probably avoiding discrimination; the profile pictures are GONE from the user's profiles and are only available once you accept the bookings.

All my inquiries and booking requests have a gray circule with the guest's initial instead of the photo and my approved bookings are the only ones with photos instead of the circles.

Thoughts?

17 Replies 17
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Elizabeth294,

Lovely to meet you. 

Thanks for sharing your concern here about this, it is good feedback.

In terms of your point specifically about cancellations relating to Instant Book, a few months ago we shared an overview of responses to frequently asked questions regarding IB which might help you regarding when you can cancel. Here is the link to the topic: Answers to your top Instant Book questions.

I hope you find this helpful.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Dominique281
Level 2
New York, NY

This is truly a deal breaker for me at this point. I read some of the points below and as a female host I am not comfortable at all with this change. I am careful as to who I accept in my shared space particularly as a female host. I do have a separate listing where I still feel the photo is part of the reassurance I have when accepting a new guest since I am not always onsite and have co-host assisting me. I understand there goal of reducing discrimination but like many have said if a host accepts someone and then discover based on their pic they do not want to host this guest then that is just setting everyone up for a really bad experience. Everyone should have a pretty good idea what they are signing up for in my experience this is what ensures a successful bnb stay. I have hosted all walks of life but have declined folks as well based on my level of comfort as a host which is my right to do so. 

Dominique281
Level 2
New York, NY

@Lizzie @Tania-and-Andrew0

Bnb really dropped the ball on this one. Not only did they not do a good job of asking hosts first but they did not even bother to inform people in general including their own staff of this change which explains Lizzie's previous inquiry to Tania. I am so disappointed and frustrated at this change. The profile picture does not tell you everything but it is an essential part of putting host at ease when they are opening their home to complete strangers. I had to write twice this is really not right.