Promoting a holiday home

Tal25
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Promoting a holiday home

I am very new to AirBnB, as a user and even newer as a host. I have a holiday home in the south of France, I was thinking of renting it and friends suggested AirBnB. I listed it back in May 2018, so far I've rented it 5 times (20 days in total). I've also had 4 requests which I pre approved within an hour of recieving the requests but then they didn't reply. My price is very competitive compared to other similar houses in the area. I also provide an optional house keeping service as part of the price. The reviews I've had have been really good, they calmed my nerves as I thought becasue I'm new and didnt really know what I was doing, I'll fall short of visitors expectations and get negative reviews.

That's the good news, the bad news is that I really thought it would rent more than 20 days in 6 months, and also the requests have stopped. Nothing for October half term october Holidays, or for the annual October yatchiting week which is very busy in St. tropez, and nothing yet for Christmas which gets equally busy.

So am I worrying unnecessarily? Is there something I can do to increase rentals? Am I making some basic schoolboy errors with my lisitng? Do hosts need to advertise in other places?

This is my listing: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/23255014?euid=02eecda8-7ce8-875f-3537-8e1552a6f6a0&s=22&user_id=17308...

Hope to get some good feedback from some expeirenced hosts.

Tal.

3 Replies 3
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Tal25 do you have many views but people don't book or you don't even have that many views? Your property looks amazing and the reviews are great but I feel like the photos don't do it justice. Maybe have some more photos of the interior of all the rooms guests can use, take photos of the whole rooms and than some detailed ones, I see that you have amazing decoration. It would be nice to highlight that. Airbnb places higher those properties that have Instant Book on, but of course if that is not an option for you, you don't have to set it up. 

Tal25
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Hi Ana

Thank you for your very useful feedback. I actually don't know how to find out how many people viewed my house. Can I see this on the listing? I selected the instant booking option already. It's the one that says "if the guest meets all criteria, they can book isntantly", is that the one?

I totally agree about the photos issue. I have just asked a professional photographer to go and take picutres as you are right, they are dark and dull and don't really give the open bright feeling I have when I am there.

As for promoting the link in other places, I heard so many things such as list it with corporate companies in the financial district or in private schools where the parents might be interested in such a holiday home, plus one or two other suggestions. Apart from the fact that I don't even know how to start finding such sources, I just wnated to ask an experienced host if this is somehting others do, or if there are other better ways to promote as well as enhancing the airbnb listing itself.

Sorry to ask you so many questions, I bet you're now regretting replying.....

Tal.
Jude36
Level 1
Lincoln, United Kingdom

Hello Tai 

Your property  looks wonderful and I am sure that you will get more bookings soon . I think what might be prohibiting bookings at the moment is that people who want to stay in a large luxurious place like yours need to plan ahead , especially as its likely to attract groups for special occasions or family holidays . I find the optimum period for such bookings is January / February for  the summer months ahead . If you need bookings now you might want to reduce your prices and make a seasonal adjustment because an empty property is costing you money not making you anything so even if you make only a small profit from each booking at least you are getting experience and gaining reviews that will attract more future bookings . Together with a better selection of photos that might include attractions in the local area you should have more success . 

Good luck 

Jude