Proof of covid vax from guests?

Flavia202
Level 10
Kingston, Jamaica

Proof of covid vax from guests?

Hello hosts - what's your thoughts on requiring guests to provide proof of covid-19 vaccination?  Are you doing it - cause already there are news articles about fake covid-19 vax cards for sale on the dark web.

For entire place listings it may not be a big deal but what say you home share hosts who have started hosting again? 
13 Replies 13

@Flavia202  Here's a discussion in which a lot of community members conveyed their views and questions on the subject: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Host-Circle/Hosts-amp-Vaccination-Requirements/m-p/1405422#M1597...

Notably, the discussion was based on a hypothetical point in the future in which the vaccine is universally available to all who want it, rather than the much different circumstances of the present. 

Flavia202
Level 10
Kingston, Jamaica

Thanks, @Anonymous . I'll have a good read.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Flavia202,

I think in our region it is probable that the island governments may require that accommodation providers become vaccinated, and confirm the vaccination status of visitors if they mandate it as an entry requirement.  In St. Lucia, it would be just another item to verify since hosts are already required to obtain a copy of a local guest's approved travel authorization document, and confirm the guest's reservation with the Ministry of Tourism.

Similar situation here for hotels and guest houses, @Debra300.   It's not yet mandatory for other general types of guest accommodations.

Michele1348
Level 5
New York, NY

@Flavia202  I definitely think it's your right when sharing your homes and space. !!   In trying to get back to normal we still have to be safe.  

I just called Airbnb and asked if I was allowed to only accept vaccinated guest and they said as long as I stated it in my house rules that I was allowed to do this. I also requested them to confirm this in chat and they did.

Good to know, @Robin154

Nevertheless, careful how you word it in your listing, just in case Airbnb backtracks on you.  

Check out the wording they use in their News article  "Airbnb Announces Health Safety Attestation to Support Responsible Travel":-

https://news.airbnb.com/airbnb-announces-health-safety-attestation-to-support-responsible-travel/

Anne1546
Level 2
Arrawarra Headland, Australia

@Flavia202 

I've just read the Attestation for responsible travel link.  Thank you.

As you say, careful how you word it in your listing.  I'm nervous now.  I'll follow their script to try and do the right thing.  

Surely I will not be doing the wrong thing by accepting double vaccinated guests only for my safety and the safety of the community?

I'll also do what @Robin154 said and put it in my house rules.  

Thank You  

Lol, @Anne1546!  We have to protect ourselves every way, every time!

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Flavia202,

St. Lucia, like many other islands in the Caribbean, maintains a list of "COVID Certified" properties which vaccinated guests may select on their Travel Authorization Application.  The contains two classifications for the properties: 1) allowed to host both vaccinated and unvaccinated guests; and 2) allowed to host only vaccinated guests.  Vaccinated travelers may also stay with family and friends regardless of the vaccination status of the local household members.  The tourism authority will send a verification request to any property selected by an unvaccinated traveler.  

Since our guesthouse can accept only vaccinated guests, their status is confirmed by the authorities before they get to our door.

@Anne1546, we just state in our listing details that we cannot accept anyone who requires quarantine.

Talking of house rules, @Debra300 - your one about law enforcement gave me a chuckle!

Anne1546
Level 2
Arrawarra Headland, Australia

@Robin154 Robin154 This was my exact question today and you have answered it.

Our accommodation is above and part of the guests rooms, although separate.  I'm concerned about accepting non vaccinated and also non double vaccinated guests.  

I'm 70 and my husband has a heart condition, and although we are fully double vaccinated, it is still risky. 

Thanks for this post.  All the best with bookings! 

Flavia202
Level 10
Kingston, Jamaica

@Michele1348 I totally agree. Safety first everytime! I was reading the discussion thread that @Anonymous referred me to and boy, the discussion was heated! I wait to see if indeed Airbnb will develop a policy on this, or at least a guideline.