Proper description of sunroom

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Proper description of sunroom

I am continuing to struggle with my reviews.My latest three stars when I asked told me that she didn’t realize sunroom did not have a door so it was really cold in it. I’ve had the property for several years and everyone has loved that space. I think that’s what makes the house unique and gives it advantage over competitors. There is a picture of the wall with no door but I guess one might think it’s glass. I don’t explicitly state that in the description either. I guess a sunroom by definition could be an enclosed space. My description is too wordy already. I keep adding things based on guest feedback and feedback from fellow community members. Should I add yet this one more detail or not change based on one unhappy guest?

15 Replies 15
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

Something like “Open-air sitting room”

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I think of a sunroom as a room- therefore it would have a closable door. Maybe call it a glassed-in, unheated porch? Which of your listings is it in so I can take a look at the photo? @Inna22

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Inna22 Is it a partially enclosed deck? Like Sarah, I think of a sun 'room' as just that, a room.  So I would expect it to be completely closed in. If it's like a deck or a porch, you could describe it as a partially enclosed sun deck. That might paint a better picture for guests? 

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

@Sarah977 @Colleen253 When I look at Inna’s profile, she has 1 listing  at the moment, and I believe I see the room she is talking about a few photos in.

Jennifer1897
Level 10
Irvine, CA

Along the lines of what @Colleen253 I would refer to it as a partially enclosed deck or porch, followed by something about it's use/purpose. Such as "Partially enclosed porch where you enjoy the sunrise or sunset" or "Partially enclosed deck where you can enjoy the sun in the afternoons." Basically whatever is applicable to the room itself. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

In the UK, a sunroom is pretty much a room with lots of windows and is very bright. It definitely isn't open to the elements. The 'partially enclosed' suggestions above work. 

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Pat271 @Gordon0 @Jennifer1897 @Sarah977 @Colleen253  these are amazing suggestions, thank you so much. I don’t know what I would’ve done without you guys – I really truly mean it. This is a simple change I can make without hearing paragraphs of explanation. It did not cross my mind that any guest would ever interpret it as anything other than what it is. Plus nobody ever reads. 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Inna22,

Be sure to mention it in your photo tag, too.

@Debra300 Yes, brilliant!

Susan1404
Level 10
Covington, GA

@Inna22- I have a sun room, but here in the south, sun rooms are traditionally enclosed and are heated and air conditioned.  Your sun room is lovely, and if it were my listing, I would say something to the effect that it is "open air" or "open to the elements," so that guests understand it isn't heated or air conditioned.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Inna22  I agree w/everyone else, I'd call it a semi-enclosed porch, but it is still an odd and picky reason to give a 3 star review, it isn't as if its set up as a bedroom or is a key focal point in the house where it would be a huge deal that its not fully enclosed.  It's a porch. It has some porch furniture.  Okay so she thought it was fully enclosed but so what?  Something like that might  have deserved a 4 for accuracy at most.  

@Mark116 I could not agree more particularly since she gave 5 stars for everything else but 3 for overall and accuracy. The only opening this space has is a door way. There is full roof

Agreed @Mark116  Exactly what I was thinking, but of course we all know, we basically have to think like picky unreasonable people, if we want to stay ahead of all potential issues. Kind of exhausting but necessary. 

Mikki0
Level 10
Long Beach, CA

@Inna22 

Where I come from, we call those a covered porch. Sunrooms are usually windowed and or screened in on all sides, including the ceiling.