Property Damages - Airbnb coverage is a joke!!

Kiet--Sean-0
Level 1
Atlanta, GA

Property Damages - Airbnb coverage is a joke!!

I had a reservation which Airbnb failed to collect payment on and still allow them to check-in to my place.  I called and send msg to airbnb and were told numerous times that its ok and that I should not eject these people.  On the second day of the stay - I discovered that my books have been torned and throwned all over the the apartment, food and drinks spilled every where and the apartment filled with smell of poop and urine.  I had no choice but to remove them from further damaging my place.  Feeling bad for her and two small children, I paid for a hotel night for them.  I came back to the apartment to find that she has allowed her mentally handicap child to poop and pee on my carpet, and bed.  It took my cleaing crew of 2 people 6 hours at $25 an hour to clean the apart, Stanley Steemer came in the next day and cost $169 after I could not get that smell out of my carpet with my home steamer.  My books can not be replace as they were my Culinary school books.  The bed, which was purchased in Feb when we had an interior designer design the apartment for us, had to be haul away because the smell of urine and poop were so bad on it.  

I submitted for $1500 replacement of the bed, and obsorbed all the other cost as I plan to write it off as cost of business on my taxes.  After two weeks of back and forth - submitting pictures, quotes etc.....  

Airbnb responded with " Congratulation!!! We have approved the coverage of your damages $183"  WHAT A JOKE!!!  their statement for that was that the damages did not effect the funsctionality of the mattress.  Are you freaking kidding me!!!  My apartment cost us $90000 to complete because we will have my mother in law eventually coming to live with us.  So I thought in the mean while I will do Airbnb.  People are paying $100 a night for my apartment, and Airbnb doesn't think that the smell of poop and urine effects the functionality of the mattress.  What a bunch of idiots!!!  Who is going to pay $100 a night to sleep on a bed that smell like poop and urine!!! What kind of review do you think I am going to get and how that will effect my listing.....BOTTOM LINE IS ....AIRBNB DOESN'T GIVE A RAT ASS ABOUT DAMAGES TO HOST PROPERTY!!!!

After I complete the current booking on the book with airbnb - I will be taking my listing else where.

5 Replies 5
John1574
Level 10
Providence, RI

@Keit (Sean)

What a horrendous experience, Keit.  I don't blame you for your anger and frustration.

But we can all learn from your experience.

Did you discover how it happened that they did not collect payment?

How did she book?  Instant booking, an inquiry, or did you vet her yourself. 

What type of AirBnB account did she have?  Did she have any reviews?

What advice would you give us, besides not using AirBnB, to avoid problems like this?

Again, my sincere sympathy. 

And thanks for posting your horrible experience -  it can serve as a wakeup call to many hosts.

John

Airbnb send me an email after she checked in and told me that her payment has been decline.  At that point I contacted Airbnb and asked what need to be done as my booking also included dinner.  I don't want to be in a position where I am housing and feeding a family of three without being compensated - after all my listing is a business not a charity location.  I was told twice on the phone and and several times on message that it si ok and that I don't need to eject them out that Airbnb is taking care of the matter.  Even as the second day roll around, I still got the same answers from Airbnb. 

To answer your question, she booked instantly because she had reviews by other host, who just started their airbnb so I assumed they gave her good review and recommend her to get good review from her. 

it wasn't until her second day did an honest review showed up on her profile.  Yet airbnb all along kept saying we will work this out with the client.  Even when I called Airbnb to tell them my place have been torned apart and that she has allowed her child to poop and pee every where in my apartment, the Airbnb representative still try to tell him no don't eject her and let us contact her.  I told them " Hell no!! - she need to leave now as I am not going to risk further damages"  I had airbnb on the line when I told her she had to leave, but that I could not in good conscience make her and the children spend the night outside as she said she had no money.  I help her load up in my car - took her to a hotel and paid for one night stay.  All along Airbnb were " oh you're a great host....yada yada....." then turn around and slap me in the face with its BS damage coverage of $183.  I didn't even ask for all the damages, just to replace the bed.  I pride my place as a luxurious apartment with 1200 threads count Supima Cotton sheet as well as Boll & Branch Sheets and Pillows.  The bed were top knotch Sativa bed.  As I said, this apartment were set up for my mother who will reside there when she retire next summer.  No expense were spare in setting up the apartment.  Airbnb offer of $183 to replace a $1500 bed is a joke!!! 

Yet I see that girl continue to book Airbnb after my place.  How did she pay for it?  I check with the lady before me - who told me she still haven't gotten paid for her hosting neither, yet airbnb continue to let her book it. 

When I first start the damage claim, she aggreed to it right away - cause she knew what has happened.  She knew her children poop and pee every wehre inc luding the bed - but wanted to make 5 payments....I coulnd't accept that as she couldn't even pay for her stay and the night at the hotel let alone the damages to my property.  Then Airbnb took over " please be assured that we have Host Guarantee protection to help host in time of damages like this" --- blah blah blah - then turn around with a $183 offer to cover well over $2000 worth of damages.....

Ziyin0
Level 3
San Jose, CA

Suggest to file a complaint on BBB, it's easier and faster to get your requested solution. 

I had contacted the local news outlet to get my story out there in the Atlanta area so taht other host will be aware of Airbnb lack of coverage for your property when it become damage.

Francesca452
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

At least you got some money. For a damage to my kitchen top by one of their guests, I received £0 and I had to pay £300 from my pocket, despite the guest admitted his responsibility. Another time a guest didn't returned the key (and admitted that) so I had to change the whole lock and again got nothing, albeit people at Airbnb assured me that I was going to get a full refund. They are not jokers, they are thieves!