Property Insurance help for STR's

Lyn13
Level 3
San Antonio, TX

Property Insurance help for STR's

Can anyone give me some helpful info for short term rental insurance. I have a couple of quotes and they came back outrageous! I have not every filed a claim so my insurance is low. The quotes I received are 3-5x the amount that I am currently paying. That would make me have to increase my rates and I fear I will lose guests. Please help, there are so many STR's out there and I there has to be a solution. 

Lyn
9 Replies 9
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Lyn13 Many/most insurance companies will not insure STRs, and those that do charge more. Foremost and Proper are two.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Lyn13  Your price is too low already. Granted mine is extermely high for the area the most part, but for what I offer it's fair. You should also probably have an extra guest fee for over 4, I have one for over 8 and my price $20 per person even if you did $10 it would be something to weed out discount shoppers. Way too many hosts in our area are charging too little and I have no desire to compete with them on a race to the bottom. Are you even covering your A/C and cable costs? Try a broker to see if you can get some better quotes. 

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

No easy answer so far. If you think the guests look problematic then use slice for per night insurance $8ish per night. I buy it when I am out of town.

proper wanted 3x more for home insurance than my current non STR policy. $2k+ and with $5k deductible which means I'd be unlikely to claim.  

Latest Airbnb Q&A suggested rate of claim was extremely low on host guarantee so insurance co are making $$$

Sean140
Level 5
Prosper, TX

Hi Lyn.  I would be happy to help you.  I have owned my insurance agency since 1991 and we devote a substantial amount of time to STR in our practice.  I have numerous options available for you.  Please contact me if you are interested.

Sean F Murphy Insurance Agency, Worth ,IL

@Sean140 hi Sean! I’d appreciate your help with insurance.  My STR is in Ojai, CA.

Sharon S MaHarry

Hi @Sharon1378. .  I should be able to help you. Please call me at tomorrow to discuss. **personal information removed**. Thanks!  

Hi Sean, As you can see, your personal contact info was removed. What’s the name of your company so I can Google it? Thanks! 

Sharon S MaHarry

I am in Smith River, Ca. Can't find any homeowner insurance. Fivethree0 nine2one 5187

My name is Melissa Anderson 

Lyn13
Level 3
San Antonio, TX

I have tried a higher rate and do not get many reservations. I have low to try getting more reservations and see how that goes. I guess I will have to raise now to cover the higher STR insurance, taxes, and costs. 

Lyn