Protecting your property in a less safe AirBnB environment

Protecting your property in a less safe AirBnB environment

Recently, AirBnB made a decision to change the way that they display guest metadata.  I personally feel less safe as an AirBnB host, because of this change.  I think this change was made without taking into consideration our (hosts') desire to know who we are inviting into our home.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/What-happened-to-the-Government-ID-check/m-p/1454345#M34...

I have learned that it is possible to get the new profile "Identify Verified" checkmark without actually providing a government ID.  You can get this by logging in with a Facebook account credential?  Or with even less information.  

IF THE GUEST IS NOT PROVIDING A GOVERNMENT ID, HOW WILL AIRBNB RUN THE GUEST AGAINST SEXUAL PREDATORY DATABASES OR RUN OTHER CRIMINAL RECORDS CHECKS?????

Who are we inviting into our homes?

Here are the few things we ourselves are doing to try to mitigate this new risk.

1.  While AirBnB broke the guest profile, the FIRST automated eMail message still has the information you want.  This only seems to come in the first eMail.  If you guest uploads their Government ID after this first message goes out, you have no way of confirming if they in fact completed the process.  I’ve even tried calling customer support to get guests verified.  Doesn’t work.

So, the work around is to decline the reservation, then ask the guest to re-book.  This will cause the system to resend the FIRST automated message.  You will then be able to see the Government ID flag.  Here are two screen shots.  One is of the old Guest profile tab.  The second is the information that you can now see in the FIRST automated message if a guest has provided a Government ID.

Jason1553_0-1622230535767.png

Jason1553_3-1622230975919.png

2.   Require a security deposit.  We require a security deposit hold over $300.  This ensures that the guests have some “skin in the game”.  This may mitigate the risk of property damage as you have already got the money in hand to claim against any damages.

3.   We have a 3 day minimum stay.  This mitigates the risk of party goers and in combination with the security deposit ensures our guests see their stay as a serious matter.  Having fewer guests that stay for longer also reduces the amount of time we have to spend cleaning the apartment.  It also reduces the wear and tear on your property.

4.   We do not use the instant book function.  Never allow anyone to book your property without vetting the guest.

6 Replies 6
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jason1553 How do you 'require a security deposit'?

Airbnb doesn't collect the deposit neither does it even reserve the amount on a guest's credit card.

Go to Policies and Rules, then edit the Security Deposit function.  If you don't have a value there, it wont show up to guest during booking and you'll have a tough time getting a claim.  

Jason1553_0-1622231606632.png

Lenore22
Level 10
California, United States

I do not believe that actually reserves the amount on their credit card, as @Mike-And-Jane0 said. I was going to ask the same question: how do people actually collect security deposits? Do they do it through the resolution center at the time of booking? I'm thinking of holding back the door code until all deposits are submitted at least 3 days in advance of their reservation (this because Airbnb gives them the option of paying in installments and they often aren't paid up until the week before check-in)

As far as I can tell the Airbnb “security deposit” is absolutely meaningless except for making an uninformed host a bit more comfortable. There’s no funds actually collected or held nor do you get any protection beyond what any host gets through the host guarantee program, even those not requiring a so-called security deposit. 

@Jason1553 So you do not actually get a security deposit. 

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

We've just started collecting security deposits with guests we feel may be a risk (e.g., groups of young men in their 20's).

We simply request the money through the Airbnb system. They pay it. We give it back in cash when they check out, provided there's no damage. 

Pretty simple. And with no dependence the ornamental "host guarantee".