Protection for Neighbours?

Protection for Neighbours?

Last year, a Air Bnb Guest who was staying in an Air BnB apartment directly above my apartment attempted to break into my property by kicking & punching the door repeatedly. The guest was subsequently arrested and after discussions with the Host, they told us that their Apartment was also wrecked by the Guest

I have argued till I am blue in the face with Air BnB but have been told "as the Host could not foresee this happening, the Air BnB Insurance will not cover any damages done to my property" - (I should mention its nearly £1500.00 worth of damage - replaced front door and repair to the door frame) 

My question is - who is liable for these costs? What are Air BnB doing to protect Neighbors? What would Air BnB have done if this guest had successfully entered my property and attacked myself and my partner? 

7 Replies 7
Thais66
Level 2
Madrid, Spain

@Marc8366 as you are not a host / was not hosting during this incident I would recommend to ask your neighbor to reach out to airbnb support and ask for a a reimbursement thought https://www.airbnb.com/d/guarantee 

Hi,

thanks for your response. The Host informed us that they did this and that Air BnB were not able to give anything towards our door (not sure if they actually did as they were reluctant to give us much information)

I raised the issue direct to Air BnB myself and after months and months of discussions finally got through to their Insurance Company, who after 90 days reviewed the case and advised that we are not entitled to any insurance claim as due to "the incident not being foreseen". Quite certain that the whole point of Insurance is for "unforeseen" circumstances 

I'm sorry for that. Sometimes reaching out to airbnb's support can be frustrating.

You can try https://www.airbnb.com/d/guarantee  instead of the host protection insurance, but not being the host when the incident occurred might be an issue 

Loni56
Level 10
Santa Catarina, Brazil

O vizinho que deveria incluir a porta no orçamento pelo dano causado pelo convidado dele !!

Att Loni

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Marc8366  Your homeowners insurance should be responsible for this. You happen to know that it was an AirBnB guest from your upstairs neighbor's apartment, but for claim purposes, this was simply an attempted break-in. I understand your frustration, but I also understand that AirBnB isn't responsible. 

It would be the same as if an AirBnB guest wrecked a local bar or something. They know who the perpetrator is, but they can't hold AirBnB responsible. 

If your neighbors are good folks, they might help contribute to your deductible, if you have one. 

Good luck getting this resolved. I'd file a homeowners insurance claim if it's not too late. Kia

Thanks Kia,

Completely understand that Air BnB & the Host aren't responsible for the damage done and it isn't their fault

It's just a bit disappointing that Air BnB can't do anything to assist neighbors. Luckily enough we are a young couple, but I could only imagine the fear that could have been cause if it had been a lonely elderly person living in our apartment rather than us

Thanks for your help 🙂

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Marc8366 

Sorry this happened - why not speak to your home insurance and see if they will make a claim on your neighbours home insurance.

They are operating a business from their accommodation so should have appropriate home insurance for STRs.

this is nothing to do with Airbnb they are just a listing company .

if this happened with one of my guests I would pay for your damages .x my business. My responsibility if I didn't have appropriate insurance.