Protests Riots and Black Lives Matter

Protests Riots and Black Lives Matter

I am quite beside myself with disgust and disappointment that Airbnb would enter the fray of political turmoil by supporting an organization who's stated mission is not only a lie but as they demonstrate daily, the protests and ensuing riots one has to know that it's not about racial equality. I will get into a long diatribe here but I'll just say that every time I see BLM box on the website with a donate button, I have to wonder if anyone at Airbnb actually knows what BLM stands for and what their true mission is. Look at what's happening in Seattle right now. It's really quite disheartening.

Very little respect left for this company.

189 Replies 189

Many see the slogan Black Lives Matter as a plea to ­secure the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness for all Americans, especially historically wronged African Americans. They add the BLM hashtag to their social-media profiles, carry BLM signs at protests and make financial donations.

Tragically, when they do donate, they are likely to bankroll a number of radical organizations, founded by committed Marxists whose goals aren’t to make the American Dream a reality for everyone — but to transform America completely.

This might be unknown to some of the world’s best-known companies, which have jumped on the BLM bandwagon. Brands like Airbnb and Spanx have promised direct donations.

True, others like Nike and Netflix have shrewdly channeled their donations elsewhere, like the NAACP and other organizations that have led the struggle for civil rights for decades. These companies are likely aware of BLM’s ­extreme agenda and recoil from bankrolling destructive ideas. But it requires sleuthing to learn this.

@Arthur332 A lot of the world's best known companies (and media) in the U.S. are run by liberals, by virtue of when & where they went to school; a direct product of the 40+ years (since 1980 >) of nearly-exclusive Left teaching which totally overran America's colleges and universities, especially its Ivy-League ones.  Of course, those same CEOs had no problem with capitalism during their rise to obscene personal fortunes, but now many are contributing to change the system - to what is the question, for better or for worse time will tell.

BLM by June had been pledged $1.6 billion, I wonder what is it now, I wonder where that money will eventually go if they get it. Hopefully for the good.

Antifa (it is suspected is composed of many 'cells') to me is the most ruthless & dangerous culprit; it is well-funded obviously, when their cunning lunatics can show up instantly in full expensive riot gear wherever the 'action' is, anywhere in the country. You are right, it will be fascinating to do find out where their funding really comes from, or for starters - who are they. 

I doubt most people understand what the term Law & Order really means. I always thought the gathering of people for political purposes if it is peaceful it is protesting, if it becomes violent (aka unlawful) it is a riot. But leave it to America to come up with a whole new concept - 'Protesting Riot'. 

Never a dull moment. 

@Fred13  It’s a deep well with many surprising benefactors, and beneficiaries.

Mike323_0-1599770456515.jpeg

There are very basic things that should be presented to Airbnb to discontinue supporting BLM. 

1. "Protesting" against police brutality and killings before actual facts arise and often ignoring them when they do
  2. Black on black violence is responsible for thousands of deaths, while there were less than 15 at the hands of police this past year, whether justified or not. BLM has no protests or programs to resolve murders within the black community, yet focuses their activities on condemning law enforcement.
  3. the obvious close involvement in riots and violence in BLM's name, with little or no denunciation of it.
  4. "Black Lives Matter" due to the popularity of the organization, can no longer be cited as simply a "saying."
  5. Unapologetic & publicly stated Marxist goals by its founders. This agenda clearly compromises their displayed priority of furthering black lives.

With all the victims they list and protest, I challenge you, without going back more than 10 years, to find 5 victims that were genuinely minding their own business, doing nothing wrong and clearly attacked or arrested because they were simply black. Knowing the full stories will certainly discourage your enthusiasm. It did with me. I researched dozens of the stories objectively and while a few did contain questionable police judgment or just tragic unintended outcomes,  in those cases justice was properly pursued. The majority of stories BLM push at you involve genuine criminal activity, resisting arrest and absolutely no proven indication of racism. The stories rely on vagueness and assumption of racism, immediate outrage and complete dismissive disregard for the lawful process. If all you can do is suspect racism as a state of mind during an incident, you've got nothing solid or resolvable to protest.  If the law has agreed to investigate, then you probably won, unless you can prove the investigation was faulty due to racist motives. 

BLM relies on the hatred of people they choose, including black people who disagree with them, acting certainly not in defense of the black community as a whole and have no solid solutions other than protesting without a grasp of any facts involved. They incite violence, most often in immediate speculation over incidents whose facts and largely unknown. This is not an organization companies like Airbnb should be supporting so blindly just because its name sounds noble, while it's actual activities and goals clearly are questionable at best, with clearly dealy results.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Yawn. @Gary850 

(hiding behind a cloak of anonymity)

Do your research - easy to find many black people killed by the police in your country - let Google be your friend. 

Double yawn.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

What a difference a year makes, especially in the U.S.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

You being a veteran of this board, surely already have a good idea where this thread will quickly go and inevitably end.  I have presented the argument forever on this board that Airbnb is but a booking agency and shouldn't be viewed as nothing more, then and only then no one will ever be disappointed with everything else they do or try to do. 

@Fred13 I agree Fred, I only use Airbnb for it’s intended use.  First time using the community help to inquire about increased views.  Shame people are using it as a political tool, do people really not have a life anymore.  Take care.

Juan63
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

@Stan-and-Jan0 @Fred13  My similar post was deleted by the Admins. I'm still trying to find out what guideline was violated.

Maybe a separate sub-board dedicated to 'Politics' where people can discuss all that is going on to their heart's content may be cool. Much of what is going on even in our hosting lives is directly influenced by politics, no doubt.

@Fred13  That's asking for trouble.  One of my pleasures with posting on this forum has been the almost complete absence of politics, because, as we see with the BLM issue and other similar 'topical' type of issues that airbnb gets involved in from time to time......politics is divisive---the helping hand, the benefit of the doubt, the politeness---that are extended to each other for airbnb subjects, is largely absent once people start discussing political issues.  In fact, there have been numerous discussions that touch on discrimination and bias in the context of hosts/guests/cultural differences that have been both enlightening and productive, but once you add in topical politics, things become chaotic and uncivil. 

I am in total agreement, and exactly my personal position, but I forever entertain all ideas and thoughts, even those that I initially think are 'crazy'.  I go through this process every day with my wife about features on the island and ~once in a great while~ she turns out to be right (LoL), so I always keep the door slightly open, but not for too long, just in case. 

Yes I think we know where this will end!