Providing Airbnb feedback on a guest

Providing Airbnb feedback on a guest

A few years ago when we first joined AirBnB at review time the guests could review the property and the host and equally the host could review the guest .

This gave the host the opportunity to advise AIRBNB some of the behaviours that we have to insure and flag for future hosts.  It also helps  improve guest behaviour.

However AIRBNB has taken this opportunity away from the hosts.

I recently had guess who refused to check out at the checkout time,  they turned away my cleaner ,  I had to call-in to male friends to assist me to go to the property and asked them to leave . They the property in such a disgusting state  it actually took me and the cleaner extra time to clean the apartment (when I was able to secure her time to return to the property before the guest check in,) When I spoke to AIRBNB about this the response was that I could report/flag the guest.  But that is no help to the next host who accepts these guests as it will not be illustrated anywhere on their profile 

Also simple things and commonly guests asking for late check out on the morning of checkout,  early check-in as they arrive at the airport.  Despite being very specific in the house rules and the checking emails;  These  types of requests are always stressful because if you don’t grant them what they ask, they will give you a less than 5 star rating:

We simply ask that we be given the opportunity to review guesTs  and provide feedback to AIRBNB as they do us.  Guest behaviour will not improve  unless they are given feedback and a similar star rating (ie Uber rider stars and reviews, not just drivers)

11 Replies 11
Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sante-Livia0 I am a little confused- were you unable to leave a review for this guest as you would normally do?

There is no provision  nor ability to provide written feedback on guest behaviour.

Only a thumb up or down

That's strange @Sante-Livia0 When I review guests I can leave written public (appearing on their profile) and private feedback, star-rate aspects of their stay and say yes or no as to whether I would recommend them as a guest.

Thanks for your response Paul.  

You are correct there is:

1. public feedback on the guest profile,  

2. private feedback to the guest

3. A simple yes / no recommendation to airbnb

But there is no longer the provision to give private written feedback to AirBnB.

Ah I see what you're saying @Sante-Livia0

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sante-Livia0  I've never heard of any other host not being given the opportunity to leave a public review for the guest. This seems quite odd, if that is what is happening. As far feedback to Airbnb on guests, I haven't had guests the past little while, so haven't had the chance to see if the feedback option has been removed. 

@Sarah, when I first started hosting a year and a half ago there was a question in the review process (that a host leaves of a guest) that allowed hosts to give private feedback TO AIRBNB about a guest’s behavior. ABB has since done away with this question. Who know what they were really doing with the feedback. It may have been to report discriminatory issues but I doubt they were personally contacting the guest to reprimand them because the host wrote privately that they were messy. 

@Emilia42  I agree- I highly doubt that Airbnb reprimands guests because of host feedback, unless perhaps the guest did something truly reprehensible and has been reported for similar issues before, or is reported to have tried to circumvent Airbnb as far as payment, which of course they are all over.

I used to see those feedback forms, but never filled one out. And my hosting season just started, so I haven't had a review to write lately, thus wasn't aware it had been removed.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Sante Livia, I don't think private feedback in this case really matters. Write in the PUBLIC review that these guests were messy, inconsiderate, and better suited for a hotel. That will ensure that all hosts who really care will steer clear of this guest. 

How do you know that Airbnb really did anything will the info when it was written privately to them in the review process a few years ago? Hosts cannot see the private feedback.

Stacey58
Level 2
Mill Valley, CA

On rare occassions does Airbnb ask if there is something I'd like to tell them (Airbnb) about the guest but I have not seen it in some tme. However, I do have a setting on my guest requirements that I will not allow guests to book who have received a thumbs down (not recommended) by another host. I actually gave a thumbs down to a guest who left our apartment a complete and utter mess and I stated in the public review that I wish she had left the apartment in the same state in which she found it. I agonized as to what to write - you're kind of damned if you do/damned if you don't but I thought that this was the best way to flag the guest to other hosts.

Helen56
Level 10
San Diego, CA

Just leave them a written review, saying what they did.  You are warning hosts not to accept their booking, which is much more effective than going through airbnb admins.  Most hosts will read guests' reviews before accepting them.