Providing proof of liability insurance

Providing proof of liability insurance

Hello.  I am trying to set up myself as an Airbnb host.  My city requires a permit prior to listing.  In order to receive this permit a host must show proof of liability insurance up to $1M which I believe Airbnb supplies to its hosts.  How do I access this insurance information so I can bring it with me to receive my permit?

21 Replies 21

@Michael1335 - you can find the overview and the terms and conditions in the Help Center.  

https://www.airbnb.com/guarantee  You will want to make sure you have gone to your own insurance company first to ensure that you have the proper coverage there as well since you must go through your own insurance first before Airbnb pays out (read the terms!) We actually carry an umbrella policy as well as a homeowners policy to protect our assets.  You'll likely need to present all of these for your permit.  

@Alice-and-Jeff0Thank you for the resonse.  The link provided takes me to an invalid web page.  So if I take my homeowners policy, my umbrella policy and the statement of coverage from Airbnb that should cover it I would imagine? 

@Michael1335 - Here is the Help Center Page about the Host Guarantee

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/279/what-is-the-airbnb-host-guarantee 

And when you click on the link

Learn more about the Host Guarantee at: airbnb.com/guarantee

It took me right to the overview page.  On the Overview page you will find a link for the Terms and Conditions.  I would take a copy of the overview and the a copy of the Terms.  

You won't be the first person coming to them with the Airbnb information I'm sure, so if you call them, they can probably tell you what is necessary for your permit when it comes to Airbnb.  

Good luck.  

@Alice-and-Jeff0  Thank you again for the help.  I'm learning a lot about the process.  As in everything, there is more involved than I first thought. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Michael1335

Michael, The Host Protection Scheme that Airbnb offers is not an insurance policy and cannot be quoted as one. It is an 'offer' of coverage under certain conditions and is subject to adjudication. Claims are not automatically accepted, and if they are, any payout will be subject to 'wear and tear' 'culpability' and other issues that Airbnb may deem to be applicable.

Michael, this is not an underwritten insurance scheme, and my best advice to you would be to make a call to the Insurance council in your state or country and ask them to provide a list of insurers who are active in the short term rental field.

Once you have one of those behind you which you are paying a premium for and have been given a policy number, then you will have something to take to the authorities for that permit.

Airbnb are a booking platform Michael, not an insurance company! They put hosts in touch with guests, and there are many here in the Community Centre who will tell you that their dealings with Host Protection Insurance left a lot to be desired.

It's there, but don't depend on it Michael.

Cheers....Rob

@Robin4 Thank you for the advice and information Robin.  It was helpful.  

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

The 'Terms' part of the Host Guarantee program ( https://www.airbnb.com/terms/host_guarantee ) should give you a better idea of what @Robin0 is saying. It is very limited in scope, from an insurance point of view. 

@Fred13 Thank you Fred.  The document for the host guarantee is quite extensive and makes it seem like they will not be covering much of anything based on all the stipulations.  It seems like the best way to proceed is on the basis that Airbnb will not replace, recover or be liable for anything, and make sure the numbers work out given that scenario.  

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Michael1335....Michael, I can only advise you to seek insurance coverage that does not involve Airbnb.

Marketing is a wonderful tool which Airbnb use to great advantage but remember it is just that marketing! 

In Australia (as with most other countries) we have insurance companies who will promote the short term rental aspect of their insurance coverage! I have a general insurer, but this insurer will not get involved with short term rentals and even threatened to cancel my insurance coverage, so I sought a company that would work with my general insurer......I use a compnay called Sharecover... www.sharecover.com

This company offers me  protection from $3.50 per guest night and I only have to pay for nights that guests are on my property. It only covers aspects of a guest stay and does not cover natural events. I can be issued with a cover PDF as a guest walks up my drive, and theoretically I have full insurance coverage. I say theoretically because I have never had to claim, but I am sure this company will stand behind me if I do need to! They have made a legal undertaking each time they issue me with a policy!!!

Michael, don't leave something as important as insurance to chance!

Let me tell you a story Michael....My best friends Louie and Katrina came to Australia from Greece in 1965 with their two sons. They rented a house, both worked for a cleaning business and saved enough money for a block of land. They cleaned up that block, put it back on the market, sold  it and did it again. They kept on doing this and before you knew it, they were millionaires a few time over. They brought a house in a nice suburb and life was great for Louie and Katrina. Years went by and the sons grew up and spread their wings! In 1997 the sons wanted to but a large fitness centre in one of Adelaides better suburbs, but were short of the required money so Louie and Katrina guaranteed their account! For one reason or another the sons did not have a liability insurance scheme in place and a client seriously injured themselves on a piece of training aparatus! The resulting legal proceedings  meant that Louie and Katrina were called on to cover the substantial costs involved and this meant the sale of their lovely house. Three months after they left their dream Louie died of a heart attack and a month after that Katrina died. All of us who knew her say she died of a broken heart.

Michael, don't leave insurance to chance, don't think that it will be ok.

Make sure you cover yourself properly.....Airbnb may cover you, but they may not. I would hate to see anyone else go through what Louie and Katrina had to go through, all because it seemed unimportant at the time....I am here, but Louie and Katrina are gone!

I can't make it any more graphic than that Michael!

Cheers....Rob

Erin194
Level 2
Saint Paul, MN

Michael I'm having the same problem. I'm in Saint Paul, MN and the city will not accept the Host Guarentee documents or Host Protection Insuarnce summary document. I've put in requests to AirBnB for the ACORD Certificate of Liability/Insurance and have not recieved a reply. I'm feeling frustrated and unsupported by AirBnB. Has anyone had success in getting this?

Did you figure it out Erin? Any insight I would find helpful.

did anyone have luck securing this document?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If you do a search in Airbnb's Help Centre you will find details of the their liability insurance and airbnb guaranteed @JK7

Wilma36
Level 1
Newport, OR

did ypu every find the answer to your inquiry