Province of Ontario STR Closure 2022: Contact MPPs

Jon279
Level 2
New Hamburg, Canada

Province of Ontario STR Closure 2022: Contact MPPs

SInce the current lockdown is imposed by the Province of Ontario, I have started messaging MPPs, including the MInistry of Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Cultur Industries.

Here is a copy of my letter and anyone is free to use the text, modify it, and contact their own MPP.

I am a small business owner who owns and operates two short-term rental cottages in South Bruce Peninsula. This is my full time job. The STRs are licensed and I have to collect taxes for South Bruce Peninsula. In 2021 STRs were closed for a number of months and I lost thousands of dollars. In January 2022 we were closed again and I am losing thousands of dollars again. I can guarantee you that my cleaning standards are higher than any hotel or motel and my STR is a separate building - not a shared accomodation with anyone else.

Can you please tell me why the Provincial Government of Ontario is discriminating against small business owners of STRs while allowing large corporately owned hotels and motels to continue to operate?

And, rather than closing STRs completely, why are we not allowed to open with restrictions like many other small businesses?

And finally, what is the Ministry of Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Culture doing to promote Tourism by supporting owners of STRs?

Jon Krys
1 Reply 1
Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Jon279,

Thanks for sharing!

Since this is a global community, you might have a better chance of reaching Hosts in your area if you search for local groups here: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Get-Local/ct-p/en_clubs

I hope this helps 🙂

Liv