Puerto Rico

Angel9
Level 1
New York, NY

Puerto Rico

Looking to connect with hosts in Puerto Rico.

Please hit me up.

Mainly want to connect with those more experienced who have gone through high/low seasons.

And how they manage to stay on top of the tides.

134 Replies 134
Elsa-Y-Ramón0
Level 2
San Juan, Puerto Rico

We would like to join 

Diane164
Level 1
Cape Elizabeth, ME

Hi guys, My partner and I are moving from Maine to Vieques this fall, and would love to exchange more info with you all on Airbnb logistics, etc.  Trying to figure out if we should become an LLC for this venture...hoping to get a 4 unit.  thanks! Diane

Hello Diane

I have several airbnb listings in the Fajardo area, near the port to Vieques and Culebra. Count on me for the feedback, logistics and referals. 

John

Hey @John688 mind if i email you for some questions?

John, 

Do you have to register with Tourism company in Puerto Rico if you host an Airbnb in Fajardo?

Hello Sally

My best advise is to register with the tourism company because even thou Airbnb collect the taxes for them, you might eventually register with other channels and will need to submit the taxes directly to them. 

John ****

Hi John, I am registered with the PR Tourism company and have an innkeeper number. Since Airbnb collects and pays taxes directly to them, do I need to still submit a monthly report to the company? I am so lost with this 7% occupancy tax I am afraid of getting fined. Please advice. 

Miranda

Hi John,

Thank you for this information. What other channels would you suggest registering with? Does the Tourism company advertise for you? Are you familiar with far booking?

Hi John,

I forgot to ask you a question. You stated that Airbnb collects taxes for the Puerto Rico Tourism Co. Airbnb charges 3%, but room tax from the Tourism company is 7%. How does the other 4% get paid?

Thank you,

Sally

AIRBNB'S 3% is their income cut, not the government's tax. The government tax is 7% and they also collect that. The problem I am still trying to figure out after thousands of dollars in losses with lawyers, accountants, and more is that nobody knows their evil hidden tax formula and "law" requirements. Seems like the government practice triple taxation. Airbnb tax and pay, they want you to report your earning every month, yeah and they will double-check that with Airbnb to make sure you never listed out of the law. Once they double-check they try to get the 7% again from your bookings and finally the local IRS will tax you at the end of the year for your leftover income without considering, rent or mortgage, utility bills, losses, damages caused by guests and much more. 

Hello Sally!

Airbnb will charge you (host) the 3% processing fee to keep their platform running.

In the other hand, they will charge the guest another fee that varies from 6-12% (the total % depends on a few factors such as pricing per day, # of days, location, etc)  + the occupancy taxes, in this case 7% in PR.

They made an agreement with local goverment to start collecting the occupancy taxes starting on August 2017.

Hope this helps to clarify your doubts.

Un saludo!

Dennis

Ben610
Level 1
San Juan, Puerto Rico

Hi

are you still in the Fajardo area. Just bought my first condo and want to put it on the Airbnb

BenW

Deborah1073
Level 2
Palmas del Mar, Puerto Rico

Hi Ben 😊😊we manage Air Bnb ‘s in Puerto Rico, vieques , Palmas Del Mar.  . We are service oriented. Our goal is to create wonderful memories and asset preservation for our host as well.

I’m Puerto Rican and grew up most of my life in the US and in Puerto Rico back-and-forth. Give me a call,  I’d love to share the knowledge

Look forward to connecting.

best regards, Deborah and David  

**[Contact details removed - Community Center Guidelines

Deborah
John688
Level 2
Fajardo, Puerto Rico

Hi Ben

Thanks for reaching out to me .I'm still in the Fajardo area .You can reach my anytime tomorrow at 787-378-2652 or to my email john@monterreyrentals.com

Thanks

John Monterrey

Hello John. I have been having a lot of trouble trying to register my listings with the CTPR to get a hotelier number. I created an LLC for all the properties to limit the liabilities. Also want the tax benefits of course. The problem is that I do not understand how their CTPR tax works. I will not collect taxes since Airbnb does that but then why I have to file a monthly tax report to the "room tax division" Are they going to charge me taxes again? I really have to go back to TX and will not be around for months and everything is getting very frustrating.

Hope you can give me some advice.