Q&A with Airbnb Founders

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Q&A with Airbnb Founders

Q&A

Hello Everyone,

As part of the Airbnb Open in Los Angeles this year, Airbnb Co-Founders: Brian, Joe and Nate along with Aisling Hassell, Head of Global Customer Experience will be taking to the stage for a live Q&A session. 

Here in the Community Center we have been asked to submit questions for the team to answer, which is very exciting! This is a fantastic opportunity for you to ask the Founders of Airbnb questions that are important to you, so lets take advantage of this by submitting some great and constructive points. 

Please reply to this thread with your question(s) by Sunday, November 6th. We will select as many as we can for the team to answer during the live event. 

We can't wait to see what you come up with. 

Lizzie 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

72 Replies 72
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Kirstie @Lizzie I have responded below.

Can you let us know which questions will be put forward and can you provide us with a link to the session you we can hear the responses?

Thanks

Helen

Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

@Kirstie Days left to comment : 14 days - What's stopping airbnb to display a countdown of days ? Thanks for submitting my question.

@Kirstie @Lizzie   Are you going to post, for those of us who didn't make it to L.A.,  which of the questions we submitted were asked and what the answer was?  Or, where can we find out about it,  do you have a link?  Thank you.

Dee9
Level 10
Moriches, NY

My question: Could you please bring back Customer Service Live Chat. Thank you

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

The most common question in the Comminity Center is how do I contact AirBnB.

Why do you not clearly publish your telephone numbers?

Also many people wish to communicate by email but there is no email address.

David

@David126   Ha!  I wrote a Host Voice about this. Abstruse and obtuse is the only way to describe it.

A million thumbs up if I could.

Well I think they are fooling us around. Wasn't the Host voice exactly the place where we pose questions and ask what we want? I'm really confused about the purpose of Host voice now.

@Ana7 no i believe host voice is the place to pose fresh ideas, not questions

it all comes down to the same thing, if you ask me. if they'd  really want to know what bothers us, they'd read the forum in the first place.  This is just for us to believe they care 😕

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

1. Many new hosts seem to set up their listings without fully understanding how BNB works and then find themselves in trouble as they cancel bookings, don't set up house rules, and take third party bookings.

Can BNB have a system whereby new hosts are sent a video/new starters pack with key information about how BNB works. To help ensure they have read/watched it, new hosts could be asked to answer two or three multiple choice questions before their listing goes live.

2. Damage by guests to property - Can you make it much clearer to hosts as to how they can make claims through the resolution centre and how they can contact you when there is a problem. The system is difficult to understand even for seasoned hosts. Unfortunately the promise of the guarantee doesn't live up to the reality of trying to make a claim. Can you also respond to claims more promptly - hosts are reporting waiting for months for a response and often having to chase multiple times. They also report that when despite photographic evidence and quotes for repairs you turn down a claim there is no appeals process and customer services refuse to give reasons for their decisions. Transparency around your decision making and a way of appealing against decisions is key here.

What's is the best way to be informed when there are changes and/or new features?  Currently I either stumble upon them or I rely on independent bloggers or web articles.  

Additionally, I'd like to understand the vision/roadmap for the next 3-5 years. 

Andrew - see community help guides for many great FAQ
Karen-and-Will0
Level 10
Maryland, United States

@Lizzie:  

Instant Book continues to cause angst amongst both new and experienced hosts as well as travelers.  Many select Airbnb for the communication and trust fostered between all parties prior to booking and it has helped define this platform and bring it credibility while aiding it to stand above that of other platforms.  What are your thoughts on Instant Book and the future of Instant Book at Airbnb?  Is there a goal to require it at any point in time in the US?

Since I have joined there have been several changes/upgrades to the site and the app.  However communication of changes never seem to come out prior to them happening.  While all changes may not be appreciated by hosts, knowing in advance and feeling that management is trying to at least communicate would help to build trust and strengthen the relationship and loyalty between the company and their customers, both hosts and travelers. Any way an email could be sent out to help keep hosts informed prior to changes? 

Ben105
Level 3
New York, NY

What protection does AirBnB provide to hosts who basically leave their most valuble assets, their life savings, and in some cases everything they have in the hands of strangers? Did AirBnB Host Guarantee ever covered a serious damage to any host? Or did AirBnB only created Host Guarantee for Public Relations / marketing purposes? I only received 3% of the $8,300 damage caused by an AirBnB guest. Should other hosts expect the same experience from AirBnB? or was it just my personal experience?