Q&A with Airbnb Founders

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Q&A with Airbnb Founders

Q&A

Hello Everyone,

As part of the Airbnb Open in Los Angeles this year, Airbnb Co-Founders: Brian, Joe and Nate along with Aisling Hassell, Head of Global Customer Experience will be taking to the stage for a live Q&A session. 

Here in the Community Center we have been asked to submit questions for the team to answer, which is very exciting! This is a fantastic opportunity for you to ask the Founders of Airbnb questions that are important to you, so lets take advantage of this by submitting some great and constructive points. 

Please reply to this thread with your question(s) by Sunday, November 6th. We will select as many as we can for the team to answer during the live event. 

We can't wait to see what you come up with. 

Lizzie 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

72 Replies 72
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Andrea9,

I can understand your uncertainty around this. There are several questions provided here around Instant Book in this thread alone, as you know it is a popular topic, therefore I am sure IB will be touched upon at Open. If I find out any more information, I will let you know, as I would like to be able to provide more clarity for you.

Are you heading to the Open this year? 

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Lizzie hi,

Thanks for getting back to me. I have actually been zipping around more thoroughly and checking out the options more patiently and deeper. And what do you know - the option under IB for Only Guests with Positive References has not been removed but MOVED!

to another section somewhat further down.

Another beef - this constant and often unproductive shuffling of things... not cool. So good thing the option hasn't been removed.

Unfortunately, no respite in the warmth of LA posible for me right now to get away from the chilly gray drizzle here in The Netherlands  😞

But I do know there are a handful of Dutch hosts going, and I wish a very productive, enthusiastic, and inspiring Open for all!

Suzanne62
Level 2
Little Elm, TX

I do agree to treat everyone with respect.  However, I have a problem with treating people under a certain age the same way as I treat adults.  First of all, booking with Airbnb seems to me to be entering a contract.  Don't people have to be a cerain age to be able to enter into legally binding contracts?  My concern is because I got badly, badly burned by a teenager who booked my home, used it to make money by charging admission to a "party,"  allowed my home to be packed with more than 150 people, (who totally trashed my house and furnishings), and then left with her profits, leaving me to call the police on her herd in order to get them out of my home and off of my property.  I think there should be an age minimum for those allowed to make bookings via Airbnb.  Preferably 25.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello everyone,

I wanted to thank you all for taking the time to share your questions and participate here. We have compiled them and sent them over to the team. 

We will try to provide you with as much information and keep you as up-to-date as possible with this, as we get closer to the session.

Thanks again,

Lizzie

--------------------

@Lizzie  Are you going to the Open in LA?  I am going.  I'm very excited and a bit anxious (I get lost easily).

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Andrea9 and @Linda108,

Thanks for letting me know Andrea, I am very glad to hear this is all fine. I looked into this as well and can confirm that you can still opt for this requirement. We are certainly kept on our toes! 🙂 

Unfortunately I will not be attending the Open this year, but I went to the one in Paris and it is a fantastic experience, Linda you will meet so many amazing people, I hope you have a wonderful time. It would have been lovely to have met you in person, so another time. Also, I am sure you will be fine finding your way around, you will have a map and lots of others to team up with, plus there will be lots of people to direct you.

Andrea I will be here in the CC and there will several Airbnb Open topics going on, so we can all join in too and forget about the drizzle outside (or at least for a little bit)! 🙂 

--------------------

Bob43
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Lizzie

Hi Lizzie, do you happen to know if there is some kind of abstract of the questions asked and the answers given? Maybe even a video?

Thanks, Bob

@Bob43 & @Lizzie:  Was Bob's question ever answered?  I would really like to check out what occurred.  Thanks in advance for any updates you have.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Karen-and-Will0 and @Bob43,

Thanks for asking about this. I am still waiting to receive the responses to the Q&A from the Open, I know many of you are eager to receive this, I am too! I really hope it won't be long now, they are transcribing the session into multiple languages. 

I will keep you posted as much as I can and hopefully my next post will be with an exciting update. 🙂

Thanks so much,

Lizzie

--------------------

@Lizzie:  Thanks for apprising us of the situation and keeping an eye out. I look forward to hearing if you receive any updates. Hopefully they will come soon 🙂

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello Everyone,

I am really pleased to let you know that I have just shared the video of the Q&A with the Airbnb Founders here in the CC. Take a look here: Q&A Video

Thank you all so much for posting your questions, I am sorry there wasn't time to answer them all, but I hope you will still find the topics discussed of interest. 🙂

Lizzie

@Karen-and-Will0@Bob43@Ange2@Linda108@Andrea9@Helen3@Lilian20@Dee9@David126@Ana7@Andrew90@Ben105@Blagoje0@Alastair0@Cristina-And-Daniel0@Maria2@Stu1@Jake26@Juanjo7@Anita61@Harry22@Silvana5@Nicky-And-Julian0@Jiw0@Debi1@Eloise0@Mary-Ann0@Robin4@Elena87@Alice-and-Jeff0@Robert78@Pearse2@Jeet0@Suzanne62

--------------------

SUPERHOST, impossibile.

in the last year i had a total of 46 GUESTS.
36 - gave 5 stars , 6 - gave 4 stars ONE 3 stars, ONE 2 stars and TWO gave 1 star. 
this avarages me ON 4.58 STARS

to actually reach THE 4.8 star rating from this position, i need to have 50 ADDITIONAL STRAIGHT 5 stars ratings.

this is IMPOSSIBILE and leaves too much power in the hands of guests who wish to retaliate.

if you want me to QUIT hosting via airbnb, its a great way, keep on going!
dont you think a 4.5 or 4.6 STAR rating is good enaugh?
here is a star table showing what GUESTS thinks via what AIRBNB thinks.
5 stars - Guest: better then expected / SUPER EXCELET

5 stars - AIRBNB: GOOD

4 STARS GUEST: VERY GOOD

4 STARS AIRBNB: NOT GOOD
3 STARS GUEST: AVARAGA

3 STARS AIRBNB: VERY BAD

obviolsy many guests said everything was good and gave 4 stars.

Karine539
Level 2
Estes Park, CO

Hi Lizzie, I was wondering if there will be another Live Q&A in the future?

I unfortunately am caught in the middle of a third party integration (Ciirus), which is not updated with the newer security feature requirements, and Airbnb who disabled my Plus listing last Saturday because of not being able to "click" the camera button as I was fully synced. I will appeal but thought I would reach out so anyone else who uses Ciirus is aware and maybe it can be added so this does not happen to anyone else.  Please feel free to reach out to me with questions.