Question about cats and the No Pet Policy

O-D-0
Level 2
New York, NY

Question about cats and the No Pet Policy

So, I have cats, but they live within our unit, which is above the rental unit. Till this point I have checked off the pets live on this propety box. But, since they do not actually ever visit the unit, is this something that I should continue to do? I'm asking because of the new Business Traveler badge. I meet all the criteria with the exception of pets.

4 Replies 4
Donna15
Level 10
Delft, Netherlands

@O-D-0, because the cats don't live in the rental unit, it seems unnecessary to check off the 'cats live on this property' box. 

However, some hypo-allergic guests might be sensitive even to the slightest hint of cat dander on an owner's clothing. Perhaps you could indicate in your space description that although you have cats, they live with you in the unit above the rental unit. That way, a possibly allergic guest can decide for her/himself what the risk might be.

I hope a more experienced host can advise you more specifically. 

Thank you for your opinion. That is what I'm leaning towards doing. I will also reach out to airbnb to confirm if that is ok. My listing does mention that we have cats, but they never visit downstairs. I think I will also mention it to potential guests before booking, since people don't tend to read my listing thoroughly.

Just to be safe, I reached out to airbnb and they confirmed your suggestion. Thanks!

Donna15
Level 10
Delft, Netherlands

That's excellent, @O-D-0 🙂 I hope your 'business travel' hosting goes well.