Question for those with firepits

Answered!
Dean-And-Stacey0
Level 4
Asheville, NC

Question for those with firepits

Hi Everyone,

Due to covid, we have a lot more guests asking about a fire pit.  We live off site, and our rental is on 1/2 acre. We are in the process of building a fire pit that is not close to the house. 

For those who have fire pits, what rules do you have? 

Do you have a separate waiver form for them?

Thanks for the tips.

1 Best Answer
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Dean-And-Stacey0 This is not answering your questions but you received some good advice above. 

As a side note, I stayed in a place with an outdoor firepit once. After the stay, I came away with 3 things. The host should either:

a.) Provide wood

b.) Provide wood for a charge

c.) Clearly list options where a guest can buy wood in the area

View Best Answer in original post

23 Replies 23

@Fred13 I'm having trouble imagining a local furniture shop that makes their own furniture 😁

No kidding. They got tons of them here and their 'scraps' are entire long pieces of the finest of woods which we cut for firewood; they do not spark, pleasant smell and colors. When we tell our guests what are the woods they are burning they have a heart attack thinking of burning such expensive woods. 🙂

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Dean-And-Stacey0   My properties are also in Buncombe County.  We have fire pits in the side yard, as far from overhead foliage as possible.  A water hose is within reach and in plain sight.  Our handyman stacks enough wood at the pit for one small fire per rental, ensuring that the logs provided will burn for just a few hours, I.e., no massive logs.  The cord is in a different place on the property, far from the pit and most people don’t find it.  We used to stack near the house, but one guest burned every night for a week and left it unattended, contrary to the instructions in the welcome package.  Note:  we do not provide wood when Buncombe has a no burn order in place, and that is for all outdoor fires, even gas pits.   

We have an attorney and insurance approved waiver that covers the fire pit, the waterfall and the hot tub.  However, most of our guests don’t sign and return the contract as they think they have a contract with the OTA, so we have additional insurance coverage.

^^^ "for one small fire per rental.." We had to limit, or hide some of the fire wood because some guests could go through a pile so easily. Kind of cool they get such a kick out of the whole scene of course.

My properties are also in Buncombe County.  We have fire pits in the side yard, as far from overhead foliage as possible.  A water hose is within reach and in plain sight.  Our handyman stacks enough wood at the pit for one small fire per rental, ensuring that the logs provided will burn for just a few hours, I.e., no massive logs.  The cord is in a different place on the property, far from the pit and most people don’t find it.  We used to stack near the house, but one guest burned every night for a week and left it unattended, contrary to the instructions in the welcome package.  Note:  we do not provide wood when Buncombe has a no burn order in place, and that is for all outdoor fires, even gas pits.   

We have an attorney and insurance approved waiver that covers the fire pit, the waterfall and the hot tub.  However, most of our guests don’t sign and return the contract as they think they have a contract with the OTA, so we have additional insurance coverage.

That sounds so nice! Lucky you 🙂

We also have a fire pit installed (this one https://www.backyardstyle.com/best-fire-pit-under-100/#product_1) What do you have? 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

IMG-20210714-WA0007.jpg

That’s beautiful!

Love PbnJ
Kim866
Level 7
Puryear, TN

@Dean-And-Stacey0 

We provide firewood--here in  TN it is actually illegal to bring firewood across a county line something about invasive bugs--we just ask that they not put trash in the fire and make certain that it is out.  We do provide a water source and a sand pile with a shovel.  If we are under a burn ban we inform the guests.  We do live next door to ours so it easy for us to keep an eye on--but we haven't had any problems with it.

Would you recommend a wood fire pit or gas fire pit?