Question for unvaccinated AirBnB hosts

Leila314
Level 2
New York, NY

Question for unvaccinated AirBnB hosts

For an article I'm writing, I'm looking to speak to any AirBnB hosts who have not gotten the COVID vaccination. Has being unvaccinated had any impact on the bookings or reviews that you're receiving? How do you communicate that you're unvaccinated to your guests--do you include it in your listing, or wait until they ask, or does it generally not come up? Please get in touch if this is you or someone you know. Thank you!

5 Replies 5
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Who are you writing the article for @Leila314 

@Helen3 It's for Slate.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Leila314  I don't think one single guest has even asked about our vaccination status, and most don't volunteer the information on their own vaccination status, but some do.  I imagine it might be a different dynamic for people who are hosting shared homes v. self contained homes or apartments where there is more direct interaction and shared space between hosts and guests.

Thanks!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mark116 

Nope. I don't think it's different in shared homes. Not in my experience anyway. I have never had a guest ask my vaccination status (let alone that of the other guests they will be sharing the house, kitchen, bathrooms and more with). Maybe they just assume? Maybe they don't care...

From my end, I've had a few surprises during this pandemic, so I'm trying to be more vigilant, e.g. just turned away a guest who wanted her unvaccinated boyfriend to stay over regularly. 

I've had the guest early on in the pandemic that told me he had been quarantining for three weeks, but then let slip when he arrived that he had only returned to the country nine days earlier and hadn't quarantined at all.

I've had the NHS frontline worker who casually revealed after arrival that she hadn't had her second jab because she just hadn't gotten round to it. Luckily, I think my astonishment prompted her to get the vaccination asap.

So, now I am asking all guests about it. I had already been quite on it about checking quarantine/testing restrictions for overseas travellers (of which I have had few) but stupidly assumed that most UK guests would be vaccinated. How naive!