Question on rules for short term rentals in SF

Linus4
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

Question on rules for short term rentals in SF

Hi,

I am trying to apply for a permit with the Office of Short Term Rentals (OSTR) so that I can rent my home out on Airbnb.  Does anyone know when a new home owner is eligible to apply for a permit?

The OSTR website states the following:

You must be the Permanent Resident (owner or tenant) of the residential unit that you wish to rent short-term. This means you must live in that specific residential unit for at least 275 nights of any given calendar year. If you are a new resident you must have occupied this specific unit for at least 60 consecutive days prior to your application.

I am a new home owner and my application was just rejected.  The OSTR called me to explain that the application was denied because I have not lived in my unit for an average of 275 days of the year. They left me a message saying that they "strongly advise that [I] cease from applying" and said that if I do reapply, they will have to investigate and make me sign an affidavit.

Can someone clarify the process for me as to when I can apply as a new home owner?  Do I have to have lived in the unit for 275 days or can I apply after living in my home for 60 consecutive days?

I want to abide by the city's rules, but the info the OSTR told me on the phone does not seem consistent with their website.  I'd love to get some guidance on this or see if anyone has had a similar experience.

Thanks!
1 Reply 1
Julian51
Level 6
San Francisco, CA

As you pointed out, it says...

> If you are a new resident you must have occupied this specific unit

> for at least 60 consecutive days prior to your application.

In other words, you should re-apply once you've been there for 60 days.

> They left me a message saying that they

> "strongly advise that [I] cease from applying" and said that if I do reapply,

> they will have to investigate and make me sign an affidavit.

Don't be bullied. And don't be afraid of an investigation or an affidavit.
Just reapply after 60 days.

Stay strong!