Questionable weekly booking

David6733
Level 1
St. Louis, MO

Questionable weekly booking

I have a person requesting our home for a three week period at a special rate. They then dropped it down to two weeks for the same rate. Now they are down to one week for the same rate. They then want to pay weekly as they state they cannot charge the entire amount one time to their credit card. 

Please let me know thoughts. 

Also- what would happen if after the first week they do not pay for the second and will not leave the home? 

6 Replies 6
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@David6733  This is a total red flag request. I wouldn't consider accepting a reservation from this person for one minute. 

Thanks so much!! We are new and this format really helps answer questions so we do not have bad experiences. I appreciate your feedback!!

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@David6733  I don't think you want to host this person.  If they are already having financial trouble and they have, it sounds, nearly maxed out their credit cards, hosting them will probably end up being you hosting them for free. 

Thanks so much!! We are new to Airbnb and this format really helps answer questions so we do not have bad experiences. I appreciate your feedback!!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@David6733 

David, we have all learned through cold hard experience, guests either love what they see and just want to pull out their credit card and stay......or they want to jerk you around.

Guests who come with conditions are what we call 'hagglers', and there is a golden rule in this game.....don't deal with hagglers, you will live to regret it if you do!

All the best.

Cheers......Rob 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@David6733  There are several threads on this forum in which hosts discuss how to spot a red flag guest or booking. One of those is guests who ask for discounts- they are right off the bat disrespecting you and your property. The majority of hosts are charging what the market will bear, according to the prices in their area for what they provide, and don't overcharge, as that would discourage bookings. A guest who expects a host to care that the guest can't afford or doesn't want to pay what is listed is a guest to be avoided. There are plenty of cheaper listings, no doubt, that they can book. They can't expect to choose a nice place and then ask to pay the price of a 4 bunkbed hostel.

So search for threads here on red flags to watch out for when choosing whether or not to accept a booking- it'll help you a lot going forward.