Quick Question Regarding Short-Term Rentals in One or Two Family NYC Homes

Quick Question Regarding Short-Term Rentals in One or Two Family NYC Homes

I am a homeowner here in Brooklyn of a legal two-family townhouse. My understanding is that the laws in NYC make it illegal for Air B&B hosts who reside in Class A multiple dwellings -- buildings designed for three or more families -- to list their apartment for rentals of less than 30 days. Does anyone know if this also pertains to owners like myself, who have stand-alone single or two-family residences? Thanks in advance for any insight here. 

47 Replies 47
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If you look on the Airbnb website there is a section on STR regulations including for NY @Aron1902 

and there's details of STR regulations on your NYC government website .

Do you have a link for that? I'm having trouble finding it with a simple Google search.

Yes, so I appreciate all of the information but I'm still trying to get my head around one thing: we are a two family stand alone home. All of these rules seem to apply to Class A multiple dwellings of 3 families or more. So then are we okay to do short term rentals of 30 days or less or not? 

Any updated clarification on this?

Yeah. It's all illegal. 1 and 2 family homes too. The city gave us a bunch of summons back in September. They are targeting everyone now who is renting their homes for less than 30 days, with more than 2 guests, locked passages, etc. etc. It's nuts, but it's true.

Yes, I appreciate all of the information but I'm still trying to get my head around one thing: we are a two family stand alone home. All of these rules seem to apply to Class A multiple dwellings of 3 families or more. So then are we okay to do short term rentals of 30 days or less or not? 

So  I appreciate all of the information but I'm still trying to get my head around one thing: we are a two family stand alone home. All of these rules seem to apply to Class A multiple dwellings of 3 families or more. So then are we okay to do short term rentals of 30 days or less or not? 

I appreciate all of the information but I'm still trying to get my head around one thing: we are a two family stand alone home. All of these rules seem to apply to Class A multiple dwellings of 3 families or more. So then are we okay to do short term rentals of 30 days or less or not? 

Marty211
Level 1
New York, United States

I have the same issue.  What are the Laws for Single and two Family Homes?  In NYC (Brooklyn)

Have you had any clarification on this since you posted? Am wondering the same thing. 

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Aron1902 @Marty211 

You guys, here is the whole boring discussion.  It's complicated, that's for sure, and in your shoes I would hire a real estate attorney to interpret it.  I don't host in New York so I haven't forced myself to read the whole thing.

However, here are a few facts:

You cannot rent out an entire apartment or home to visitors for less than 30 days, even if you own or live in the building.

You must be present during your guests' stay if it is for less than 30 days.

You may have up to two paying guests staying in your household for fewer than 30 days, only if every guest has free and unobstructed access to every room, and each exit within the apartment.

Internal doors cannot have key locks that allow guests to leave and lock their room behind them. All occupants need to maintain a common household, which means, among other things, that every member of the family and all guests have access to all parts of the dwelling unit. Internal doors with such key locks create barriers to escaping in an emergency and may result in the issuance of a temporary vacate order.

The New York State Multiple Dwelling Law:  The definitions of "Class A" and "multiple dwelling" can be found in Sections 4-7 and 4-8 of Article 1 of the Multiple Dwelling Law. The law contains certain exemptions for rentals to a “boarder, roomer or lodger.” 

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/buildings/pdf/MultipleDwellingLaw.pdf

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY