Quirks from instant bookings "sniping" inquiry dates?

James1278
Level 2
Chandler, AZ

Quirks from instant bookings "sniping" inquiry dates?

I've only been a host for 3 days so bear with me.  I searched but didn't turn up satisfactory results, but I am not familiar with all of the terminology, so again, bear with me.

Twice I have had the case where there was an inquiry in progress with one guest and another guest used instant booking to reserve overlapping dates, making the inquiry "not possible".  I understand first-come first-served, so I have no problem with the system behaving this way, but I would like a better understanding of what happens, if for nothing else than to be able to communicate to the disappointed guest.

In the first case, the inquiry came in, we conversed, then I pre-approved which stopped my 24-hour response counter.  The guest continued making travel plans but didn't book immediately.  A few hours later, another guest used instant book to make a reservation over same time period, making the inquiry not possible and adding the "Decline" and "Send Special Offer" buttons.  The guest was confused, and both I and the guest I found conflicting information indicating that the pre-approval holds the dates for the inquiry and that it doesn't.  It apparently doesn't, but I don't see the message that the guest received about pre-approval and he thought that he had until 24hrs from the original inquiry to complete his reservation.

In the second case, the inquiry came in asking for a very large discount to which I replied no and also asked if the guest still wanted to make a reservation at the regular rate (the guest never responded and after researching their reviews, I would have declined).   While waiting for the guest's response, another guest instant-booked an overlapping reservation, changing the inquiry to not possible, stopping my 24-hour countdown, and again leaving the buttons for "Decline" or "Send Special Offer".  However, the inquiry was still on my dashboard the next morning with "0% Response" by it.  I didn't want a ding because of no/late response, so I thought the simple solution would be for me to decline because the dates were unavailable due to a conflict with a confirmed booking.  There is an option to decline because the dates are no longer available, but it says that choosing this option will block the dates for the inquiry, which is not what I want because the instant booking was only a partial overlap.  I selected "Other" and wrote in that the dates were reserved by another guest through intant booking.  This also immediately removed the inquiry from my dashboard.

These are my questions:

1. Regarding the pre-approval, are guests clearly notified that it doesn't hold their dates?

2. When an inquiry is not possible, why even bother with having the "Decline" button?

3. If there is a need for the "Decline" in this circumstance, why isn't there a selection that indicates "overlap with a confirmed booking" (which the system is already aware of, going back to question #2)?

4. Why did Airbnb show "0% response" for this inquiry after I responded and after it was not possible?

10 Replies 10
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

1) When you pre-approve, you have the option to block the dates  or not, and guests are clearly notified.

2-4) You do not need to respond to an inquiry that is "not possible." Regarding Airbnb's UI, I can't explain.

Thank you @Lisa723.  I don't recall being presented with an option to block dates when I pre-approved.  I will look for it next time.  Are there conditions where this option isn't available?

@James1278 I don't think so.  I think the default is to not block and you have to select an option to block.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@James1278

Hello James amd welcome not just to Airbnb hosting but to the community as well.

James when an inquiry comes to you that requires a pre-approval, when you grant a pre-approval you will be able to send a message in the message box that accompanys the inquiry. Directly above that message box you will see a box which will say. 'Do you wish to block these dates for other bookings' and there will be an item which you will either check or leave unchecked. When you check that item that will secure your listing to the pre-approved inquiry for 24 hours from the time the pre-approval was granted.

Just one other thing James, if you are a new user you will lack the experience to pick good guests from poor guests. As you are using Instant book make sure you check all the items on your listing editing page associated with Instant Book. Those item which you will find under 'Availability Settings' are....

Guests must have an Airbnb verified account.

Guest must have proof of governmnent issued ID.

Guests must have recommendations from other hosts.

If you set these IB conditions this will prevent possible unacceptable guests from grabbing your listing before you have had a chance to assess their suitability to stay with you.

https://www.airbnb.com.au/help/topic/1024/deciding-to-host

I will also include a link here to the community help guides James. If there is something you are not sure about you will probably find the answers here. In addition you can always get help from us here.

Allthe best  James

Cheers.....Rob

Thanks @Robin4.  I am learning.  When initially creating my listing, the wording the Airbnb interface used actually discouraged me from checking the government ID and host recommendations (i.e.  "if you do this, you will get less bookings").  Then later, as a result of researching, I turned on government ID on my 2nd day of being a host, but unfortunately it was after my 4th booking, so now on Day 3, two of my 5 bookings do not have government ID verification.  I haven't turned on host recommdations because I don't feel like I should require that of guests when I don't yet have any ratings myself.

@James1278  One thing to realize is that "if you do this, you will get less bookings" is not about Airbnb caring about the host, it's about them having bookings come in as fast and furiously as possible so they can make more money on the guest fees. That's their bottom line, not the welfare of either host or guest. The easier they make the process for guests, the more likely it is that guests will book- so now they no longer require actual profile photos, less verifications, etc, etc. That's what IB's about as well, making it quick and easy for guests to book, without the hassle of having to actually communicate first with the host. From my reading on this forum, IBers also tend to be the ones who don't bother reading through your listing description- they look at the the pretty photos, the price, then hit IB. Then they arrive with expectations that have nothing to do with what you wrote in your listing description, because they in fact, never read through it.

So those little missives from Airbnb scaring you about less bookings ("You could earn XXX more if you offered a weekly discount", "You could get more bookings if you lowered your price to (the cost of a fleabag motel)") are basically to be ignored. Host in a way that works for you, require the verifications that let you feel secure, price for what works for you, don't be intimidated by Airbnb's computer robots to do something that could cause you problems. It's far better to have less guests but who are good, hassle-free guests, than to be intent on being fully booked and have to deal with disrespectful, lying, demanding people, who you have to contact Airbnb about, who trash out the house, who leave bad reviews, who make up bad stuff about your place, so they can get a refund, etc.

To me, guest quality is far more desirable than guest quantity.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@James1278

I understand what you are saying James as far as the host recommendations is concerned, and that is a very noble attitude! But James, you are the one taking the risk here, not the guest.

Some kid out for a graduation celebration sees your listing for an entire house and that it takes 10 guests in 4 bedrooms.....bingo, that's a party waiting to happen! Next thing you know 16 turn up to stay overnight with another 20 coming and going and your lovely listing gets completely trashed.....James we see it over and over again. The message that accompanies the booking simply says 'myself and a couple of family members would love to stay in your house for the evening'!

There is a golden rule in hosting....never let to locals! What is it that requires the use of your listing rather than their own. If they have to send a reservation request you can assess if it could possibly turn into a party situation and easlily decline the request. Once they have booked it becomes considerably more difficult. 

James I have had a wonderful career with Airbnb hosting but, I always make sure I know who I am going to get here, I live on the property and I do not accept locals without an ironclad reason as to why they wish to stay here. Airbnb are not particularly sympathetic if you have an issue, Airbnb are not taking the risk, they don't own your property and you are expendable with no risk to them. Guests on the other hand make Airbnb money and the last thing Airbnb wants to see is a guest disappear so any sympathies will be directed towards the guest!

James don't expect problems but......don't encourage them!

Cheers.....Rob

James1278
Level 2
Chandler, AZ

I hate to derail my own thread, but you have been so helpful @Robin4.

As it turns out, one of my rentals is from a local.  A 2-day stay from a woman who says she is getting married and she and her new husband will spend their wedding night in the home.  I gave the benefit of the doubt that the couple just want some privacy, but yeah, this is prime for partying.

However, my rental is directly across the street from and facing my own residence.  I will know when it turns into a party.  My house rules say no parties or events and guests may not invite additional guests without the host permission.  Airbnb says that instant booking requires the guest to agree to the house rules.  What should I do if party-goers start showing up?

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@James1278

If you start probing for problems James by stressing to heavily the 'no party' rule you will get the guest offside and you will be seen as a 'prickly' host and it will probably affect you negatively in the review process.

Best to say something like....

"As luck would have it I live directly across the street so, you have instant access to me if you should require it at any point throughout your stay"! That lets them know that whatever happens on your property will be observed.

If their intention is to party they will at that point ask you if it is ok to have a couple of wedding guests back for a little celebratory drink to which you can say. ...

"None of us want to look for problems but, you know Murphy's Law, so Airbnb do offer their hosts a form of protection scheme for any little mishaps that can sometimes happen....somebody twists their ankle on a lawn edging....you know what I mean. One of the conditions of this is that any people on the property are required to be registered as Airbnb guests. This way Airbnb knows who they are dealing with and can offer that protection. Unless the additional people are named to Airbnb this puts us in too much of a risk situation, I am sure you can understand that"! At that point they will have a decision to make James....they will either comply and just stay themselves and arrange to party elsewhere, or they will cancel and book something else. But at all times James,  you offer choices.....but don't lay down ultimatums.

Can you understand where I am coming from James?

Don't worry about derailing the thread of yours...this is how we help each other. You will find a lot of collective experience and knowledge here. This Community Centre got me were I am now, I could not have done it without the CC!

Cheers..........Rob 

Welcome to hosting.

I always have seen the option to block the dates but I don't do it. If I did, it would put me at a disadvantage if the people don't book.

So yes - guests can inquire, but they can also book and take advantage of the 48 hour cancellation policy to hold the space temporarily. Or you can block others from booking it for 24 hours.

But unless it's a repeat guest, I've been burnt holding dates for people not ready to make up their mind.