RANT: temps guests want for their stay

RANT: temps guests want for their stay

We home-share.   We've had MULTIPLE requests in a row to have our A/C lowered to 70F .  I'm sitting here with a long-sleeve sweater and pants on in my own home, wearing fuzzy slippers, to accommodate a guest's request.  This is ridiculous!!  They aren't EVEN HERE!!!! It was 70F on Christmas day last year so I am LITERALLY living with winter temps in my own GD home.  I'm ready to pack it in with guests and have just added  to my house rules, because they just NEEDED to be longer, that the house will be set for 76F in summer and 68F in winter.  What will this solve.... well probably next to nothing.   

I'm having a tough time trying to balance the life I want to live with the "necessities" of guests.  I might be done here.  I'm so unhappy in my own home right now that I can't even begin to tell you that this IS NOT WORTH IT.    

Again, having a rant.  

Going to crawl under the covers of my own bed to try and stay warm.  F-ing ridiculous!!!! 

27 Replies 27
Angela-And-Greg0
Level 2
Fairlie, New Zealand

Oh no, I kind of feel your pain!

Except mine is at the other end of the spectrum...

We are going through our winter - and in most NZ homes our bedrooms are on the colder side but our living areas are warm (usually with a log burner).

We had a bit of a complaint from a guest in their review and because it was at the beginning of our Airbnb journey we took it very seriously and was a little bit defensive about it. However we went out and bought a small heater for the room. We now also run a heat pump in our hallway too. The only problem is now that we have the extra heating in the house our power bill has sky rocketed. It is a real shame that we have to live a different way because we are afraid of the negative comments...

I really don't feel like you should have to change too much though - it sounds like you are freezing and really suffering. You want to have a positive Airbnb experience!!

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I heard the Boiler running more than usual last week and found a guest had left the thermostat at 70F, in July?

David
Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Alice-and-Jeff0 For the past 4 years, my house rules get longer a little by a little. There are things that I thought was common sense that apparently isn't. I remember that at my previous house, I had guests who keep changing the temperature above 70 in the fall which wasn't that cold and the thing is... she was barely wearing any clothes, so I wasn't surprised that she was "cold". I didn't understand her thinking process "oh, I'm cold and I don't want to put on proper clothes, I'm just going to turn up the heater as high as possible" lol

recently, I had a guest from Las Vegas that said that Seattle is HOT even with the window open and asked for a fan. I bought a fan because I thought it would be handy to have it in the house in case it will ever get *too hot* 😂 in seattle. The next day, yes, the very next day she said that Seattle is cold and that she brought a sweater that day. Wait, what?! Some people are just like that... I used to have central thermostat and I put a label on top of it that guests are not allowed to adjust the temperature (I'm not crazy and I always put it on appropriate temperature anyway). At my current house, each room has its own thermostat which makes me wonder sometimes how high they turn on the heat and just hoping that it's not being turned on that high...

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

When we open up our houses for guests, it becomes less about us and more about them. It's a pain sometimes, but it's a case of sucking it up, mostly, or finding another income stream. Until I win the lotto, I'll be smiling on the outside, screaming on the inside (with some, not all, guests). 

@Alice-and-Jeff0

That is just crazy!!! AC at 70F?!?!?!? I don't think I'd entertain that kind of request. (You are way~~~ too~ nice!!!) 

My apartment has typical Korean style (floor) heating and a single central A/C in the living room for the entire home which is extremely different from homes in Europe or the U.S. In Korea, we use the A/C sporadically during the day and early evenings when indoor temperatures exceed 27C. I try to be considerate about guest comfort, but also explain how we do things in Korea. I want guests to be comfortable but at the same time do expect them to be considerate of what is considered normal in my home and in Korea while they stay with me. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Alice-and-Jeff0 o yes, I totally understand your frustration 🙂 Our American and Australian guests do exactly the same, AC is allways set on 70F (21 C) even if outside is 100 F (38 C) in shade . Guests from all other countries are more reasonable with AC.

I am from Europe and I don't understand them. I use my AC veery rare, maybe few days a year and if I use it then I set it on 79 F (26 C) , never less. I just wear summer dresses, turn on a fan, open windows at night, put the blinds down at afternoon and feel fine. It is not just about the money, I just don't like AC (except in a car) it is not healthy.

Interesting thing is that during the winter they set the heating on 75 F (24 C)  !?

I don't live in my ABB so I am thinking about buying thermostat cover with a lock so guests can not change heating temprature in winter. I still don't have any idea how to stop them to abuse AC (which has a remote controller) without buying some new expensive programmed model with timer or something 😞 I don't know if something like that even exist. 

Interesting thing is that this year I turned off the heating in March bc it was warm weather. One week later we got an American guest who asked for AC !!!! The temperature in Zagreb during the day was 74F (23 C) and during the night 59F (15 C)! We said no, and gave him a fan. He was satisfied 🙂 We didn't give our guests AC until the temperature in town during the day was lower than 82F ( 28 C. ) They have windows, a fan and window blinds to help themselves.

OH AND IT GETS BETTER!!!!   Because our system has never been taxed like this before, sometime around 2am the A/C started cycling on and off in about 2 minute intervals.  The unit is right outside our bedroom and we can hear it coming on and off, it woke us up.  We quickly jump on the internet.... yup BROKEN! Either there is debris in the coils so they are not cooling properly or there is something else (sleep deprivation is making it impossible to recall what Jeff has told me).  It was so loud that I could not go back to sleep and we didn't DARE turn off the house fan which, for some reason, was now running constantly.  The temps crept up to 73 degrees over the next few hours and then at 5:23, the smoke detector in our room went off!  WENT OFF!  Ours have a temp sensor and since they had been unnaturally cooled to 70 for so many hours, the creeping temp caused it to go off.  GREAT!  Now I'm up - only a few hours of sleep.  I've already refunded our guest 100% of their fee for the A/C failure and Alarm failure.  But we have another guest arriving today.  He's actually a wonderful repeat guest and this is going to suck rehousing him if we can't get the A/C started again today. On top of all that.... it's already over 80 outside today and it's not going to get any cooler - with the humidity it feels like 83 (or so Weather Underground tells me).  And the next few days - in the 90s and rain - great conditions for no A/C, right? 

Now I want to preface this situation with this.... a month ago a guest accused us of not providing A/C and wanted a full refund (he checked out after only a few hours).  This was false of course, so we had to jump through all hoops, writing emails and providing pictures of the A/C vents in his room and bathroom plus the cold air returns, thermostat and unit outside.  Airbnb denied his claim and this first time user pulled his profile.  Then 2 weeks ago, another guest checked out after one night because it was "too hot".  He never actually spoke to us about it, preferring to call Airbnb at 1am to discuss the temp with them.  They chose to write us an email alerting us of the situation and we promptly lowered the temp for the guest.  No need though, he had already booked a hotel and was checking out.  And even though this was a guest cancellation, for some reason, Airbnb altered his reservation instead of cancelling it and for this "miscommunication and confusion" , they paid us for the ENTIRE stay.  Of course, savvy hosts, this has resulted in a review being posted by this guest and, unfortunately, we were then forced to write a less-than-lovely review of him and his lack of communication.  HIs response to our review is a beaut!  And since he outright LIED in his review, now we're going through the hoops to have his review removed for violating the content policy. We had several guests since then, all comfortable and pleasant, until these two showed up today wanting the temps dropped from 76 to 70.  We overcompensated for sure and now we are paying the price.  We've lost the funds from tonight and will likely lose the funds for the next reservation along with the costs of bringing out a repairperson on a Sunday during some of the hottest days in Durham.  

Great.... the smoke alarm just went off again in our room..... FML. 

@Jessica-and-Henry0 - your statement "I want guests to be comfortable but at the same time do expect them to be considerate of what is considered normal in my home and in Korea while they stay with me. " has resonated with me.  What we have here is really a lack of respect for how we live our lives in our own home.  We are not a hotel, we're home-sharers.  Both tonight's guests and the guy from a few weeks ago are fellow North Carolinians.  Do they really keep the temp at 70 in their own homes I wonder?!  If so, they must be made of money because it would run non-stop from April to October.  As a matter of fact, the guest who was "too hot" actually said to us "I don't want to judge the way you live." which is EXACTLY what he did by choosing to check out instead of allowing us to adjust in any way.  He decided we wouldn't, in advance, without even talking to us about it.  

Luckily for us, Jeff is smarter than your average bear and went outside to check on the A/C unit.  The fan blade wasn't starting so he gave it a push - voila - airconditioning is working again for now at least.  Something needs to be repaired or replaced for sure, but the house is now dropping from 74 degrees to 70 again.  Don't worry, I have my sweater handy.    🙂 

Isabel203
Level 10
Halifax, Canada

Thanks for starting my morning with a wonderful laugh, lol!

This reminds me of a trip my husband and I went on to NSW Australia one spring when our kids were toddlers. Everyone we met told us it was a shame that we were visiting in the "winter", because they had lovely beaches which we would probably enjoy. When I told them, "Yes, they are amazing and we've been there every day", they would patiently explain that, if we came back in the summer, we would get to experience how lovely the WATER was, and not just the beach. Again, I would enjoy their expressions when I told them that I and my toddlers had in fact been in SWIMMING every day, even though the water temp was "only" 21 degrees celcius!!!!  (As an Atlantic Canadian, I hit the beaches at home as soon as the water temperature reaches 15 degrees.)

We keep our house at 19-20 degrees celcius during the day, year round. In the winter, 16 degrees at night is perfect sleeping temp for us. 26 degress would result in insomnia and very high levels of crankiness on our part.  At the same time, I recognize that for visitors from other places, or for older visitors, our home can feel miserably cold. Luckily, our guest space is separate from our living space, so we have the luxury of maintaining dual climates, when necessary.

Different strokes...

Annette76
Level 10
Cherry Log, GA

So I'm feeling like a princess after reading this thread lol. I keep my A/C at 70f from 11p to 7am. I just sleep better with a cool room. But during the day I keep it at 75-76f. 

My rental loft is getting a new wifi thermostat so I'll be able to control it from anywhere. 

OP, if they aren't there why don't you set the temp where you like it? 

I have been running a dog boarding and training facility for many years. It's all about training and attitude. When a client would drop off a dog with a ridiculous feeding protocol I just smile sweetly and say "nope" and continue smiling with no excuses. It's my kennel and I know what is best t keep the entire community happy. I will explain why if they persist and say I understand if they want to cancel and find another place. No one ever has. When they pick up a dog who has had a great time and has miraculously learned to eat on a logical schedule they rave about us. The clients I've had to stand firm with on something always end up as our biggest fans.  

@Alice-and-Jeff0   It seems like you have central air conditioning. We just had that installed (used to be a swamp cooler which is really humid and awful and doesn't work to get into all the rooms). We had a Nest thermostat installed with it. We have it programmed to run at 76 during the day and 68 at night or something along those lines, whatever the Nest app recommends as the "eco" setting. We can lock it so that guests can't mess with it. We can also adjust it from an app on our phones. In the guest room they also have a medium-sized oscillating fan and a space heater so they can adjust their atmosphere somewhat. I also switch out the winter comforter to a lightweight coverlet for summer. These are cheap fixes. We have not once had anyone mess with our thermostat or complain, but if they did I would say "Sure!" and lower it a couple degrees while they were home and then adjust it back when they left. I would be sure to mention in their review if they were difficult.

@Todd-and-Reese0 - yes, the home despite being built in 1905, was gutted in 2014 and everything is new, including the A/C.  We have a programmable thermostat that runs the A/C and every room has an overhead fan that is adjustable by the person in said room (except the dining room).  We do the same, we have a light coverlet for summer and even a light blanket that we swap out.  We take the heavy duvet off too and replace it with a light quilt in case someone wants the extra blanket.  We service hundreds of guests and we've just happened upon a run of them who prefer to live in the tundra.  Right now the temperature in the house is almost 79F and I am perfectly happy.  My feet have thawed and I'm not even breaking a sweat.  But for us to go from 79 to 70, in the entire home, that will take hours of continuously running the A/C to get every room to that temp when the temps outside are in the 90s/100s. 

I really can't identify with anyone who is comfortable at 79 degress in the house, day or night....too sweltering for me and I grew up and live in the South, so I am not a stranger to heat.  Probably because I'm menopausal the thought of sleeping at anything that hot makes me miserable. My son is going off to college and one of the 12 questions they asked to match him was about the temperature in the room.  So it's an important comfort issue.  I work in an office environment and if the temp was more than 75 degrees there would be a mutiny.   

@Peggy-And-Mike0 - My husband works in an office where they keep the temp at 68 and he literally wears earmuffs in the summer some days.  He keeps a heavy hoodie at his desk and pulls the hood up nearly every day to stay warm and he HATES being hot.  I'm perimenopausal too, and have my share of "private tropical vacations", but the cooler temps doen't stop them and they're still uncomfortable for me even with the A/C turned down to winter temps, plus they're temporary.  Even now, at 76F when the A/C kicks on, my nose, shoulders and feet get cold.