RE: anyone still put alarm clocks in rooms?

Jean118
Level 4
Atlanta, GA

RE: anyone still put alarm clocks in rooms?

Anyone put stand alone clocks / alarm clocks in the bedrooms?

Debating whether to do away with this, as most people use their smartphones as alarm clocks (as do I)

I do notice, however that hotels still supply them

What sayeth you all?

Jean

18 Replies 18
Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

Yes, the still exist. Often combined with USB charger/docking station, Wifi router or some kind of phone/intercom.

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Jean118 Yup. Still have one in the room and people use it based on how often the time is changed to their home time. It also has two USB chargers which get used for things like iPads. [Guests tend to charge their phones next to the bed.]

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

Yes, I have a little battery powered clock on the nightstand in each bedroom. The guest can set an alarm if they wanted to, some do. I like it because it breaks up the empty space on the nightstand. You could also get a cool old fashioned alarm clock if it goes with your decor.

download.jpg

Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

@Jean118 We have two small battery operated  clocks on the bedside tables. I think they were $12 each from Walmart. 

My dad is 82 and still travels extensively both here and abroad. He has no cell phone to use as an alarm. When outfitting the AirBnB, I kept him in mind...someone who is a traveler but doesn't/can't get bogged down in too much technology without getting frustrated or confused. So, we have a simple Melitta pour-over with paper filters and ground coffee, we have the battery operated alarm clocks, a simple thermostat with up/down arrows that won't intimidate, and we use a simple combo lock with keys inside instead of a smart lock.

@Emily487  Good for you! Honestly, if I were a guest and encountered all sorts of "Smart" technology where I was staying, I'd waste half my time figuring out how to operate it. I've never even had a microwave or a dishwasher and have to ask my daughter to remind me how to use them when I stay with her 🙂

If you like mystery novels, I just finished a good one- The Turn of the Key by Ruth Ware. The protagonist gets a nanny job at a house where everything is computerized and run by an app. Even the curtains can't be opened and closed by hand. 

Hmm..my places are tech rich and guests absolutely love them. There is no need to “figure them out.” A simple command sheet is all guests need to prevent Technophobia.

I have the same type clock as you in each of the bedrooms - a simple battery-operated travel style clock.  I wasn't sure they would be used, but apparently they are used all the time as the alarm time gets set to different times frequently. 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

Nope. They are nothing but trouble. In hotels I unplug them to avoid being subject to some previous guest’s midnight alarm.

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jean118  Yes I provide one - just a simple battery operated alarm clock.  It is silent - ie  it doesn't have an annoying tick.  

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Yup, we provide one, @Jean118. It came in at about £5 and is often used as a 'back up', even by my younger  guests who are anxious about missing their flights. Just make sure you turn it to 'off' after every stay. 

Annette76
Level 10
Cherry Log, GA

I have one specifically for the 2 USB ports on it. The outlets by my bed are very hard to get to so I wanted a way for guests to charge their devices without having to crawl around looking for the outlet :). 

David3267
Level 10
Torquay, United Kingdom

wouldn't bother. Definitely USB chargers though.

Juan63
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

I use my google home displays. They are the best solution.

Andrea-and-Francis0
Level 10
Mississauga, Canada

We have one but keep it unplugged sitting on the shelf so guests are welcome to use it if they like but aren't woken up by the past guest forgetting to turn off the alarm.