RE: longterm reservation question: How to handle when guest is away extended periods of time

Jean118
Level 4
Atlanta, GA

RE: longterm reservation question: How to handle when guest is away extended periods of time

I have a longterm guest (an elementary school teacher) who will be renting out a 2nd bedroom in my home, starting Jan 7th.

She will be staying 6 months, Jan 7 - May 31st.  In that 6 month period, there are several breaks scheduled in the school calendar where she teaches. 

For instance, there is a weeklong spring break holiday in April, when many teachers go away for holiday

Should I expect the guest to pay my standard monthly rate, even though she may choose to be away from the residence for 4-5 days??  Should I offer some sort of 'comped' rate, during that time??

Jean

13 Replies 13
Bryan10
Level 10
Feltham, United Kingdom

Hi Jean,

If your guest has booked,then she will already have paid Aibnb in advance, so  its easiest to simply not raise the question with her. If she asks for a discount, you could offer her a refund on the time she'll be away (if she's away) on the basis you could rent the room to someone else for that week. However then you'd have to talk through the details of whether she'd be able to leave her things in the room while another guest is in residence, or put things into storage, and this seems like it could get messy. Many hosts offer a discount for longer stays, so your question is very logical  (I offer 10% off after a week or so). Finally, do keep it inside the airbnb system rather than a separate discussion and cashback arrangement as you'd never be covered if anything went wrong. Happy hosting! 

Thx for the responses!  This provides a very new fresh perspective on things, thx for the insightful comments! 

Hi @Jean118   I assume the guest already has a discount for a long term stay and I assume the guest would leave her stuff in the room or want to store it there, so it  would not be available to others for rent. Also it would be complicated to unblock the dates even if she took all her stuff with her, plus the added expense of cleaning the room and preparing it for someone else and then cleaning it again to prepare it for her return. In my experience long term guests end up being far more costly than short term guests so I would definitely stick to my standard rate. At the end of the stay you can always offer the guest a refund if you feel it makes sense at that point.

That's the plan now, sticking to my already discounted rate, thx!

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Jean118 Stop playing, get your money. If she has her things in that space and expects to keep them there? Guess what Sugar? She has to pay. Don’t short change yourself in your business. I have never once been able to call the electric company and get a discount on my bill...EVER. They might offer terms or a payment plan but NEVER a discount. Let’s try to see more of a separation of personal and business relationships. This is a business trip for her and probably a write off or the check is being picked up by the school district. If it were my cousin Vanessa from Birmingham? Girl, she can keep her things there as long as she needs but a customer has to bring me some money, all my money. Call Airbnb and ask for a discount on there fees because the guest won’t be in the room X amount of days and see what happens.

Keep it business and keep it “100”, “Momma neeeeedssss her money”.

Good Luck!

’You know it’s hard out here for a Host’

lol , , ,too funny!! (but true)

Carol-Lee1
Level 9
Montevallo, AL

No.  I’m sure she will be leaving the things she doesn’t need in the room and you won’t be renting it to anyone else.  It is her place until the end of the rental period and she is renting it that way.

That's the conclusion of I've come to as well, thx

Lucy-and-Loic0
Level 7
Lyon, France

Hi @Jean118

Six months is quite a long time, she's going to be living with you.  If she does not plan to check-out during that time and make the room available for others to rent, I would not even mention the issue of a discount for days she might plan on leaving for vacation.   

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

Everyone is right and what I see is that you are a good person,one don't short change yourself we can all use a little help you know what I mean

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Jean118 If you’re renting an apartment, does your landlord give you a discount for the days you don’t stay? No? Exactly. 

So true!  

@Jean118

I've hosted several exchange students for up to 4 months and they all had several extended weekend trips, anywhere from 1~2 nights or up to a full week per month. None of them asked for or expected any kind of discount or refund because they would be spending a few nights away. (FYI, my current guest took a 6 night trip the 1st month, 3 night trip the 2nd month, a 4 night trip the 3rd month, and 2 wks prior to check out will be taking a 5 night trip and hop over to Japan before going back home. - but he makes up for his absence with all the teeny tiny loads of laundry he does while he's home and our water bill is proof. Just because the guest is away a whole week out of a month does not mean cost of hosting will be lower.)

I would be wary and very reluctant to host any potential guest who would think to ask for a "comped" rate because they plan to be away for a couple days during a long-term stay.