REVIEWS GUEST

Barry158
Level 3
Baltimore, MD

REVIEWS GUEST

I am very frustrated with airbnb. A guest showed up stayed for 3 hours and then called me to say apartment is not clean. She was all angry so I offered her a full refund or someone to come clean whatever she claimed was dirty. She took the refund and left. saw her smoking on outdoor camera which is not allowed...ect. The apartment was totally clean and I have only had good reviews for past 2 years. It was her first time staying in a airbnb. She left me a 1 star review a totally screwed up my listing.....Airbnb ignores the whole issue and sides with the guest. Should I quit hosting on airbnb???? I am very upset. worked really hard to have positive reviews and impress my guest......

33 Replies 33
Sammy35
Level 10
Pittsburgh, PA

airbnb doesnt care about issues urs like this.  work out better protections for yourself like a 1099 contractor

~~~~~~~
like nikey: just do it

@Barry158 What resolution were you seeking from Airbnb? The one-sentence review (which ends in a cute typo) does not violate the content policy, and as unfair as it feels to get a 1star review, Airbnb tends to regard those as subjective opinions. Your primary recourse would be to post a response that confirms your commitment to cleanliness to prospective guests.

I wouldn't recommend using your history of great reviews and satisfied guests as a reference point here, because in no way does that prove the home was properly cleaned on that one occasion. Someone considering your listing can easily recognize that the review offered no detail, and your willingness to send the cleaner back in shows that even if there was a genuine problem, you were willing to fix it.

Sadly, this is another example of how giving a full refund doesn't buy you out of a bad review. But if it got a bad guest out of your property before they could do serous damage, it was probably worthwhile. 

Thank you for your advice! I should mentioned I strive to have a clean apartment.

Lb0
Level 3
United States

@Barry158 

hang in there.  The clientele of Airbnb has changed in the last couple years, especially recently.  They just want the reservations.  Had similar experience in Maine a couple weeks ago, just be more selective about who you accept.  But it is hard because Airbnb let’s them take down reviews “they’ve authored” (after she extorted a $500 refund for a good review)  And if the guest doesn’t  like your review, Airbnb takes it down.  So, you won’t see any bad reviews.  We’re thinking about quitting too.  
In sympathy,
LB

Thank you for the sympathy and the support. I will try to keep my listing up but I definitely reconsidering continuing this business. In Baltimore, MD all the regulations are changing and you need a license ect. for short term rentals. Airbnb doesn't seem to care that most of the Baltimore host have left their platform. They have become to "big" to fight or care for the host.

I think we’re going to see a trend here on Airbnb.  Lots of guests looking for places, few host willing to risk the risk and Airbnb’s lack of support.  
check out other companies, VRBO, FlipKey, Hipcamp, Lodgify.  

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry that has been your experience @Barry158  I've been hosting for five years and have found the quality of guests has remained consistent.

However I do invest time in vetting each guest and ensuring there is a good fit with my listing.

It is not true to say that if a guest doesn't like a review they take it down. They normally only take down reviews that break their T&Cs. I have seen lots of reviews which are negative/honest about a hosts experience.

What do you mean 'after she extorted a $500 refund for a good review' - you know it's against Airbnb's T&C for a host or guest to offer money in exchange for a positive review.

By the way did she make up the fact that she found blood on the sheets?

She send me a picture of the mattress cover not the sheets and after examining it looked like a set up maybe lipstick...unclear. My cleaning crew said they did not see it before and I trust them.

I recently had guests who stayed at my apartment who broke the WiFi system and TV. They had only left the apartment when I discovered this.  I phoned them and asked them if they could return and fix it for me.  I received a mouthful of abuse, and consequently was told that they would come if I paid them.  I had to shut the front door on them when they returned as they were so aggressive towards me.  They since have put in a claim for a total refund for their three day stay  Left a shocking, totally untrue review, and are now threatening to sue me with a Lawyer.  I am 99% sure Airbnb will take their  side.  I am also seriously considering closing my account after I honor my present bookings for the next six weeks.   Don’t need this stress.  Life is too short.

@Geraldine60  Asking the guests to come back to the property after check-out to fix the damage is an interesting approach, but not one I'd necessarily expect to get positive results.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Barry158 It is good to host with genuine idealism, I do also, but you ARE dealing with people and that has never been an equitable endeavor. 

Keep in mind the generation where those that run Airbnb (and most such overnight-success big companies of the last 25 years) came from the same generation - pandering is their religion, holding people personally responsible even for obvious abusive behavior is not. If this guest was 'all angry', over something that hasn't come up before in 2 years, that was your first clue something was indeed different, unless it was your mistake of course.

I would take the vein in your public review saying - "How odd that after X amount of guests, you felt that "Y" which has never come up before". Always intellectually isolate nuts, hustlers and the mean-spirited in a cunning & smooth manner, it helps potentially future guests dismiss them that much easier.  If you are going to refund money, make sure to get something in return.

P.S. #1 Like @Helen3, I have not detected a difference in Airbnb clientele in comparison to 6 years ago, except the word 'discount' now comes up a bit more often. 

P.S.#2 This case reminds me of Dire Strait's song - 'Money for Nothing', which would have been a juicier title for this thread.

Ann489
Level 10
Boise, ID

@Barry158    I'm just going to echo here what Andrew already said; you have so many great reviews--this one "outlier" is not going to ruin your rating nor your business.  You have a wonderful place and the great reviews speak for itself.    Airbnb is very "guest-centric" and there is really not a lot you can do to get a review removed--unless it violates their TOS.   

Maybe you should modify your booking settings,  allowing only those who have been recommended by other hosts, to instant book.   I know this is not a guarantee to weed out bad guests, but I have learned that it pays to step up the level of communication with first-time guests.  😉

Best of luck to you and don't give up!

@Ann489  A 1 star review across the board will absolutely ruin your rating. 

@Mark116   my comment was specific to Barry's situation.